Normal Topic Re: Trailer tires (Read 1476 times)
gotfive
Ex Member

Re: Trailer tires
03/07/09 at 15:46:26
Quote Print Post  
Hi Glen -
Before dropping five bills for new tires, I might suggest that you check the wear in the tread.  Is it even or are there wear spots in certain areas, any flat spots or bulges.  Sidewalls are really the location of the weaking elements of time.  Are they checkered near the bead of the rim and moving out to the tread?  Some tires can last a very long time.  Just my two cents.

IP Logged

Xsftballer
Forum Member

St. Croix Rods Pro Staff,
Anglers Marine Pro Staff

Reply #1 - 03/10/09 at 05:21:58
Quote Print Post  
Maybe I should have read this post before last Friday. I just blew one out on my way back from Lake Washington Friday afternoon. It was neat!

Misunderstood

IP Logged

Chris B.
WBC Member

Reply #2 - 03/10/09 at 21:58:50
Quote Print Post  
Take them to silver lake and run them off the edge of the ramp, then theres no question what you need to do.   Cheesy   I'd replace them !!  Look at Mike's post, his tires can't be more than 2-3 yrs old.

Wishful Sponsors: BassCat Boats, Mercury Marine, Tackle Warehouse, Chevy Trucks, Chevron Gas, G-Loomis Rods, Shimano Reels.
IP Logged

Ray
Forum Member

Reply #3 - 03/12/09 at 03:01:47
Quote Print Post  
I swap mine out when one of them "blows". Like last summer on the way to Oregon for Labor Day.   Grin
Ray

IP Logged

Xsftballer
Forum Member

St. Croix Rods Pro Staff,
Anglers Marine Pro Staff

Reply #4 - 03/17/09 at 02:09:55
Quote Print Post  
The one tire I had to replace was $105.00. That includes balancing and all that at Les-Schwab. I just put it back on the spare tire rack but I would hate to have that happen and not have a spare.

The tire that blew was not bad? I must have hit something to cause it to blow out like that. Headed to California in a little over a month. Would not even think of going without a spare tire.

Misunderstood

IP Logged

Chris B.
WBC Member

Reply #5 - 03/17/09 at 02:23:15
Quote Print Post  
Make sure they are properly inflated.  Under inflation is a major cause of trailer tire blowouts.  My Goodyear marathons are checked frequently and are at 44 psi.

Wishful Sponsors: BassCat Boats, Mercury Marine, Tackle Warehouse, Chevy Trucks, Chevron Gas, G-Loomis Rods, Shimano Reels.
IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo