Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Optima batteries (Read 4595 times)
brokentrail
Forum Member

I fish because the voices
in my head tell me to!

Optima batteries
02/24/09 at 14:51:49
Quote Print Post  
Anyone out there using them?  Good, bad, indifferent?  I searched the forum and didn't see any past topics on this but I will be needing to replace my power plant this year at some point and have been thinking I may go with Optima.

Cheers!&&&&Andy
IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Re: Optima batteries
Reply #1 - 02/24/09 at 15:54:31
Quote Print Post  
Andy,

I have heard they work pretty good on other forums. Haven't used myself.
Russ

IP Logged

brokentrail
Forum Member

in my head tell me to!

Reply #2 - 02/24/09 at 22:35:53
Quote Print Post  
Thanks, looks like I'll be doing some research on them...

Cheers!&&&&Andy
IP Logged

Larry S.
Board Moderator

Reply #3 - 02/25/09 at 03:39:37
Quote Print Post  
I have to replace mine this year and thats what I am probable going to....seems the dealers are making a switch too, seeing them on alot of boats.

IP Logged

Varmint
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 02/25/09 at 18:53:11
Quote Print Post  
I have 4 of them in my Triton TR21. They are about 4 years old now. For me it wasn't about how long they last, weight or whatever. It was about access for maintenence. Every time I had get in the compartment and check cell levels, condition, etc. I ended up making my already bad back and neck issues worse. However, I must say the three trolling mtr batteries have never failed me even on two day events without a chance to recharge overnight. I also had a red top Optima in a Jeep that was still going strong after eight years when the truck was traded in.
That said, don't get locked into the Optima brand. I hear other brands are as good and cheaper.

IP Logged

Nick-Barr
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 02/26/09 at 05:25:51
Quote Print Post  
I have heard good experiences and bad. My moms x-boyfriend had an Optima Red Top in his truck, it was great, the Marine Battery, not soo good. We got an Optima Marine and it was a dud, that saying I talked to my battery guy this week while replacing mine and they carry Interstate and Optima and he says that the optima's are great for off-roaders that tip their trucks and only really using them for starting, boating are great but pretty Spendy for not much more, if any performance.

The Optima's lose their load carrying capacity if sitting for a while uncharged compared to lead acid, as when we bought our Optima Marine, it had been sitting for awhile in the store.

I decided to go the much less expensive way and go all Interstates, Group27 Megatron Cranking and and Group29 Deep Cycle Megatron. The whole set up for my boat was pretty much the price of 1 Optima.

All my info is directly from an owner of a battery distributor.

IP Logged

trucknmusic
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 02/28/09 at 14:07:44
Quote Print Post  
My info is not what is from a battery dealer.... but

I switched to optima about a year ago.  I fish from a 10 ft bass buster only powered by a 50# trolling motor only (so I power around on high a lot!).  So far The Optima has not died on me (knock on wood) and I have drained every other battery before.  I originally switched to sealed batteries after spilling acid on my clothes a few times and I will not go back.  I have tried Orbital and Optima and like the Optimas better.  The last time I checked Costco sold them for like 160 which is a good deal bc I paid 190 for them there last year.  So I recommend them but I have not tried that many others. 

There was another topic on this b4... did you try searching just batteries.

IP Logged

brokentrail
Forum Member

in my head tell me to!

Reply #7 - 03/01/09 at 02:19:58
Quote Print Post  
Yea, I searched batteries in any thread for the last year and didn't get the battery thread your talking about.  I'll do some research on them on other forums and see what I find out.  Thanks again guys.

Cheers!&&&&Andy
IP Logged

Brian
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 03/01/09 at 19:22:20
Quote Print Post  
Just talked with my fishing buddy. He had a new optima battery in his truck, and the battery lost charge. So, he charged it up and then disconnected his battery leads, checking the voltage drop each day. Well, the voltage was dropping each day. So, he took the battery back to GI Joes (I think), and they replaced it. He did the same check with the volotage after charing the battery, and after a week it did not drop at all in voltage. So, there are bad batteries directly from the manufacturer, so remember to keep this in mind if you are having problems with a new battery of any brand.

IP Logged

Chris B.
WBC Member

Reply #9 - 03/01/09 at 21:40:20
Quote Print Post  
I have a red top Optima in my truck.  It gets driven maybe twice a week.  Its been in there maybe 5 years, and it had a AC delco in it for the first 7 years.  The truck cranks over pretty slow after sitting for 2-3 days.  I think I could have gotten away with another AC delco battery and saved almost $100.  I run all Trojan batteries in my Bass boat. 
In my little boat I run a AC delco rv/marine deep cycle.  It runs my 12v TM just fine, and they are only about $70 each new my cost.

Wishful Sponsors: BassCat Boats, Mercury Marine, Tackle Warehouse, Chevy Trucks, Chevron Gas, G-Loomis Rods, Shimano Reels.
IP Logged

BassAholic
Forum Member

Fords don't float !

Reply #10 - 03/02/09 at 00:35:17
Quote Print Post  
I have Trojan batteries in my big boat but I have not had that long so who knows but I hear they are good They sell them at GI Joes & I hear there is a coupon in Sunday paper for $25 off when spend $100
In my little boat I have Interstate I sell that brand at my shop & I think they are great for cars I have had them give me a 100% warranty on the deep cycle in the little boat because I felt like it was not holding up after 1yr Now let me say I use my little boat 2-3 times a week & I stand on the motor all day & I only have one battery in that boat so that battery gets a work out.
FYI if anyone in the club wants Interstate battery let me know I can make a deal like no other in town. Wink
I would not hesitate to use Trojan but for the $$ Interstate is a good battery.

Fish like you are retired!&&Work like your on vacation!&&
IP Logged

Brian
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 03/02/09 at 12:49:52
Quote Print Post  
I actually just took a cranking battery out of my boat that has been in there 6 years. It was still working fine, but decided to change it "just because". It was a Kibbeys battery that is heavier than heck, but that is why it has lasted so long. They have super thick lead plates, and weigh a bunch. I think that they were maybe 60 dollars when I got them, but each one has lasted over 6 years with no problem. Place that sells them is called Kibbeys Batteries down past Daffodil Bowl in Puyallup. There is nothing like reliability.....

IP Logged

BassAholic
Forum Member

Fords don't float !

Reply #12 - 03/02/09 at 23:31:01
Quote Print Post  
I forgot to say that my Battery distributor also has the Optima battery & I can give a dam good deal on those also.

Fish like you are retired!&&Work like your on vacation!&&
IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 03/03/09 at 02:30:49
Quote Print Post  
I would say that the Trojan deep cells are good but the cranking batteries suck. I have had to replace two cranking batteries in the last two years Angry Angry Angry

Russ

IP Logged

Larry S.
Board Moderator

Reply #14 - 03/03/09 at 02:34:23
Quote Print Post  
Thats good Russ because Trojan no longer makes crankers for the marine line!!! feedback is good!!! Grin

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo