Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) List of Tin Boats that have placed in club tourney (Read 7434 times)
brokentrail
Forum Member

I fish because the voices
in my head tell me to!

Re: List of Tin Boats that have placed in club tou
Reply #15 - 02/26/09 at 19:22:44
Quote Print Post  
Actually I don't feel disadvantaged with the Skeeter ZX-18 and 115 Yamaha on it, it runs between 42 and 50 MPH, depending on water conditions and how much gas I wanna burn.   I do realize I can't keep up with some of you but I'll just disconnect your trolling motor batteries before we leave so you can't fish my spot when you get there LOL Smiley

Cheers!&&&&Andy
IP Logged

Troy
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 02/27/09 at 01:28:44
Quote Print Post  
the only dissadvantage besides size (generally) that i see in my boat is that the wind blows that thing around like mad while fishing, and it makes you spend alot of time on the TM trying to keep proper boat position.

troy

IP Logged

brokentrail
Forum Member

in my head tell me to!

Reply #17 - 02/27/09 at 02:29:21
Quote Print Post  
Yes, that is definitely a problem I have as well.  Someday I'll have the big glass boat and quad-cab 4x4 to haul it around with  Roll Eyes

Cheers!&&&&Andy
IP Logged

The_Rev.
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 02/27/09 at 05:32:43
Quote Print Post  
I know one thing, my light "tin" Lund goes past the gas station a lot more than those with their 200 hp fiberglass monsters.  I don't go fast - but I go there economically.

Another thing - I beat the h*** out of my Lund, bump rocks, crash stumps, and just bang the dent out again.  Gel coat  isn't quite as forgiving and won't let you tread where aluminum boats are unafraid to go.  

And thirdly, if you hate wiping down your gelcoat, and polishing the shine every time you get out of the water - go with tin.  Some of us hate cleaning our boats (yes, some of us are pigs) - we just want to fish, not play Mr. Clean.

And lastly, our used tin boats tend to appeal to multi-species fishermen when we're ready to sell them.  My first flat bottom went to a duck hunter.  My Lund appeals to trout, salmon, and other slimmer species fishermen.  So they are easy to sell.  Fiberglass bass boats have to be sold to... bass fishermen only.

None of these are reasons to give up a fancy glass bassboat - I'm just highlighting some of the minor advantages to tin as I see it.

And years ago, (when I had time for one WBC tournament per year on vacation), I managed to put a couple of first place trophies on the wall - one at Banks, the other at Sprague.  No matter what you fish out of... the fisherman still has to catch em'.  

IP Logged

EX-PREZ
WBC Member

"I'd like to thank my
sponsors for helping
me out"

Reply #19 - 02/27/09 at 14:52:45
Quote Print Post  
No matter what you fish out of... the fisherman still has to catch em'.   ROGER THAT!!!! Grin

Like I said, "A senko doesn't fall any differently in a fiberglass boat"!!!!  Happy Friday Gang!  Connor and I will be drifting the Yakima River this weekend fishing for "Slimers" with a "little ity bity 4 weight fly rod". Oh, one more thing, we're drifting in a FIBERGLASS BOAT.

SPONSORS:&&MY BEAUTIFUL WIFE!&&1st pick at the raffle (when we have a raffle)&&TEAM NO BOAT PAYMENT/ NO TRUCK PAYMENT&&AQUA VU CAMERAS (borrowed from Terry, scratch that, he took it back)&&STRATOS boats (pre-owned division)&&YAMAHA (came with the STRATOS boat)

IP Logged

brokentrail
Forum Member

in my head tell me to!

Reply #20 - 02/27/09 at 16:15:08
Quote Print Post  
woah, did he say "slimers"?? ewwwww.......

Rev, I agree with everything you said wholeheartedly, those are a lot of the reasons I went with aluminum, as well as what I was going to tow it with.  Another reason was I was used to them, we always used 18 or 20 ft John's when I was growing up and they usually had jets on them due to low water rivers.

Cheers!&&&&Andy
IP Logged

brokentrail
Forum Member

in my head tell me to!

Reply #21 - 02/27/09 at 16:21:17
Quote Print Post  
all in all I am happy with my boat, but like most, I drool over the other guys when he blows past me on the water and the sparkle gets hit with the sun!

somehow I posted my last post before I was finished Wink

Cheers!&&&&Andy
IP Logged

Ray
Forum Member

Reply #22 - 02/27/09 at 20:47:46
Quote Print Post  
Oh not so fast there Sarge,

If you would have read the definition completely you would have noticed that "tin" (definition 2a) was a generic term for a container:  "such as a container of any metal".  Like a tin of tomatoes.  Defintion 1 is the correct defintion of the Element Tin.

"a soft faintly bluish-white lustrous low-melting crystalline metallic element that is malleable and ductile at ordinary temperatures and that is used especially in containers, as a protective coating, in tinfoil, and in soft solders and alloys — see element table"

See the Table of Elements  as Webster suggested above (which I have attached) and notice Tin "Sn" has a atomic number of 50 and Aluminum is "Al" with the atomic number of 13.  Tin is a totally different element than Aluminum.  And, It's not used to make boats!

Lastly, for my final rebuttal, I will insert a quote from tracker boats:  "If you could peel back the hull of a TRACKER® boat, you'd see why they're so brawny and long lasting. Marine-grade aluminum forms the hull, longitudinal stringer system, compartment lids and the all-aluminum transom."
If a Tracker makes a "tin" boat why do they use the term "Marine-grade aluminum"???    Grin Grin Grin

Okay who smacked who?

Ray  (all in good fun)  Wink

IP Logged

Rodney H
WBC Member

Why must I work!

Reply #23 - 02/28/09 at 02:33:32
Quote Print Post  
Let us go back to Sarge's definition, it contains the word "vessel".....http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/vessel...... #2...

dat dar book o word meenings do mak a man smarter

G3 Boats, A Yamaha Boat Company, HP180
AIM  
IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 02/28/09 at 19:49:50
Quote Print Post  
Pasting the Periodic Table, Ray... That is awesome!  Grin Cracked me up.

I actually thought of your point after I posted... so, yes, technically speaking, if we are to use definition 2a properly, we'd have to refer to the boats as just "tin" or "tin of flotation material" or something like that. Tin boat is not gramatically correct. I admit.

Well played, well played.

IP Logged

T_Dot
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 03/14/09 at 01:47:27
Quote Print Post  
have any of you looked at www.xpressboats.com

probably one of the best tin boat makers ive seen.  most owners who have had glass and then gone xpress state they will never go back.  then again its a personal preference.

IP Logged

Rwfaz
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 03/20/09 at 19:19:59
Quote Print Post  
Don't forget.... tin boats ARE containers - they contain anglers, rods and all their tackle......., they just don't usually have lids!!

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo