Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Scholarship Tourney Recap (Read 2874 times)
basspro
Ex Member

Scholarship Tourney Recap
10/27/08 at 16:29:30
Quote Print Post  
Hey Guys,

Was real surprised not to see any guys other than WCCT guy from the club. Perfect weather for October clear skys mid 50's to mid 60's light winds to no winds. 27 boaters this year. Day one leaders had 14# and 2nd and 3rd had 11.77, team of Flip Guru/Technician Baker/Chevy sat in 8th with 10.50. 2nd day we blast off and I am running to the mile and almost there and my motor loses RPM and down we go. So instead of giving up we turn left and get over to HWY 155 rip rap. At the time we thought we had lost a power head and couldnt get the motor over 1400RPM so we puttered for awhile. We stopped to fish the riprap wall and start to catch our fish. We stuck 4 fish in a row but they were just a pound a piece. So I said to Mark we need to throw out in 35-45 feet and see what happens. In the next two hours we culled twice and upgraded our catch to just over 9 lbs and end up in 6th. We had a Ranger come by us and pick up our fish and Mark at noon and we were wishing we had one more hour to stick another good fish, but the guy who was picking Mark up wasn't feeling well so he headed back early.

Lesson learned: When it sounds like your motor blows up while running always lift the motor to check your prop. My 3 blade prop had lost one of its blades and that is why we lost power.

Russ

IP Logged

Larry S.
Board Moderator

Re: Scholarship Tourney Recap
Reply #1 - 10/27/08 at 16:56:10
Quote Print Post  
Good to hear it was not a Power Head Russ and also good to hear you came back to get 6th!!! awesome job!!
Hope the weather holds up for the Frostbite but not looking so good  Embarrassed

IP Logged

WCCT
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10/27/08 at 19:29:08
Quote Print Post  
I was one of the guys sitting in 2nd with 11.77 after day one.  Day 2 was a different story Sad  We lost 4 quality fish that really hurt us and ended up only bringing in a little over 7lbs on day 2 for a 7th place finish.  It was fun, but I wish there would have been more boats.  Nice job Russ on your 6th place finish, and too bad about your boat problems.

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 10/28/08 at 00:12:34
Quote Print Post  
WCCT,

Yes the boat problems were a bummer since we had found quality fish on day 1 with the 10.50 lbs we had weighed and left them alone for day two. When we had broke down and found another boater for help and that boater said he would be back in 3 hours to come pick up our bag of fish and my partner at 11:54 am I just wish we had been able to fish an extra 40 minutes. We found another pile of bigger fish in deeper water and capitalized on it while waiting for the ride. When our boater came back we had culled about 8 fish to increase our 2nd day weight by more than 5 lbs and the boater said he wasn't feeling well so I didn't want to push my luck by asking him to stay another 30 minutes to cull our last 1 lber out with a 2+.

It was a fun event and sad that only 27 boats came out. The weather was great.

Russ

IP Logged

Troy
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 10/28/08 at 01:09:19
Quote Print Post  
i think you can point to the ecomony when you look at poor turnouts IMO.  congrats on finishing 6th and 7th boys.  way to grind it out baker/chevy.  what was winning weight?

troy

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 10/28/08 at 01:33:36
Quote Print Post  
Troy,

Smith team was leading on saturday with 14# lbs. Vanslyke I think was tied with WCCT for 2nd. Dawson/Dawson won it with 23.04. I guy came in late and had over 24 lbs and got DQed.

Russ

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 10/28/08 at 13:53:29
Quote Print Post  
DQ'd, that had to hurt.  Nice job Baker.

IP Logged

Wabasmstr
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 10/29/08 at 01:50:58
Quote Print Post  
Russ,  Did you find out what caused you to lose part of your prop?  Did you hit something earlier that day or week, etc?  Sounds pretty serious to loose part of your prop for no known reason.

Later,

Chuck P

IP Logged

Xsftballer
Forum Member

St. Croix Rods Pro Staff,
Anglers Marine Pro Staff

Reply #8 - 10/29/08 at 04:04:34
Quote Print Post  
Good job Russ and Mark along with DJ and partner. We will see you over there this weekend.

Mike

Misunderstood

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 10/29/08 at 15:04:20
Quote Print Post  
Chuck,

Its common with the T1 Yamaha props. I just have been lucky. They fatique easily.

Mike I wish I could be there to repeat my fishing experience other than the prop failure.

Russ

IP Logged

Chad S.
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 10/30/08 at 13:44:14
Quote Print Post  
Was there very many largemouth caught?

IP Logged

WCCT
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 10/30/08 at 16:21:42
Quote Print Post  
I am not sure how many were caught.  I know Dawson weighed in a nice one on the final day, but it was mainly a small mouth show as usual, with a couple of large mouth mixed in.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo