Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) 2009 Lake Selections (Read 5036 times)
Stu
Ex Member

Re: 2009 Lake Selections
Reply #15 - 10/15/08 at 04:40:31
Quote Print Post  
Thanks, Troy.  Hadn't heard that.

Stu

IP Logged

Chris B.
WBC Member

Reply #16 - 10/15/08 at 15:03:58
Quote Print Post  
Quote:
yes i know not the best place to voice this but...if we could figure out a camping situation whatcom in may can yeild quality smally bags. two of my biggest bags ever weighed in were at whatcom.  it takes thirty pounds to sniff a win on whatcom in may.  with that said im already excited about our tournies next year  Smiley

troy

I'm with you Troy.  I fished a Whatcom tourny in June with the screwed up spring weather and was leading with 16.88 lbs for day 1, all off beds so basically cheating but still FUN.  
The camping situation is not difficult at all.  
There is a campground up there thats been there for 30+ years  Everytime I hear the club talk about Whatcom they say no camping, well there is.
http://www.wildwood-resort.net/

Anyway, looking forward to next year  Cheesy
« Last Edit: 10/15/08 at 18:14:31 by Chris B. »  

Wishful Sponsors: BassCat Boats, Mercury Marine, Tackle Warehouse, Chevy Trucks, Chevron Gas, G-Loomis Rods, Shimano Reels.
IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 10/15/08 at 15:25:10
Quote Print Post  
Troy,

Whatcom although a great spring lake fishes small due to most if not all of the big spawners will be caught in the north end of the lake. It would be like fishing on a merry-go round guys trading spots in a less than 10 acre area.

I have caught some large bags there myself and know the quality of fish that are in there. A lot of 5-6's.

Potholes fishes much larger and many Potholes Opens have been won with 44-55 lb bags in years past. Now that is with 6 fish bags both days.

Wild wood camp ground from what I have heard that you will need to book the campground more than 6 months in advance. That place is a party place.

Russ

IP Logged

Xsftballer
Forum Member

St. Croix Rods Pro Staff,
Anglers Marine Pro Staff

Reply #18 - 10/15/08 at 23:44:03
Quote Print Post  
Russ, Russ, Russ stop multiplying by 2. You and your 50+ pounds. Where do you come up with such things? This is not California boss. Grin

Misunderstood

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 10/16/08 at 00:55:48
Quote Print Post  
Stighelman,

Past records my man!!!
I know the tournament director real well and have had many conversations regarding what has won the Potholes Open in the past.
Russ

IP Logged

Xsftballer
Forum Member

St. Croix Rods Pro Staff,
Anglers Marine Pro Staff

Reply #20 - 10/16/08 at 02:24:36
Quote Print Post  
I love you Russel. You always bring joy to me with your posts!

By the way down to 232 this morning from 280lbs. Started August 7th jogging and eating like I should have been in the first place. After my last shoulder surgery in April of 04 the wheels came off of my diet and exercise. That's what a little jogging and eating right will do. Just like the old ball playing days. Feels good.

I think HD and I are fishing the Mickelson this weekend. Face masks on and flying down the lake will be fun. See you there.

Misunderstood

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #21 - 10/16/08 at 02:47:37
Quote Print Post  
Russ - agree with you regarding Whatcom.  Been there, done that.  It's a zoo on AND off the water!

Regarding Potholes - that was a 7 fish limit, not 6.  But yes, there were many a club tournament where the winning weight was pushing 50 pounds.  But even with 14 fish, that's a better-than-3.5lb average.  Usually those bags were anchored with a 6- or 7-pound horse.  Those were the days when the smallmouth population wasn't nearly as established as it is today.  Fishing for smallies was more of an afterthought back then.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo