Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Question about Lake Washington... (Read 12214 times)
The_Rev.
Ex Member

Question about Lake Washington...
09/30/08 at 18:26:45
Quote Print Post  
I've been fishing Lake Washington every monday for 15 years now - and I am stumped!  So let me paint you a picture and let me know what you think...

Fall usually means the fish are spread out in many depths.  Sure enough, in the past two weeks I have caught them along the shore out to 40 feet deep.  Typically the perch start to ball up and move out (following the bait fish) and the bass follow them.  Well, sure enough the perch are starting to ball up in small schools BUT they are still holding to the weed edges in 20 feet. (Caught a million of them!)  And here's the mystery - I can't find a large smallmouth ANYWHERE!  I'm catching dink after dink (less than 2 pounds) until I'm going crazy!

Oh sure, everytime I go out, the darn North wind is blowing (which typically slows the catching down), but apparently the dinks don't seem to understand that this fall.  I've hit every shallow, medium, and deep hole (secret holes) I know of and can't find a decent fish.  So where did they go?

1) I have always known that the larger bass show up in the shallows first in the spring, and the small ones follow, and have always assumed the large fish were the first to go out deeper in the fall, (again small fish following).  So how do I explain the small guys being caught in the 40 foot level already.  Do you think the big guys went deeper or are just tight mouthed n the shallows?

2)  Which begs another question: Is it possible that only the big fish are tight mouthed during the North wind times, and the small fish aren't?  That has never been my experience up to now!  When the fish get lock jaw, don't ALL the fish get lock jaw?

3)  With the perch still up along the weed edges, why would the large bass already go out deep so quickly?  I don't think they all could have exited so quickly, do you?  What would they eat out there?  Not a single cloud of sticklebacks or perch were seen out in the deeper water on the sonar!  So... Where are the big fish?

I'm puzzled!  I've been out 4 times in the past two weeks (fished from dark to dark) - and put in a lot of hours and caught tons of dinks!  I've had several other boats tell me the same thing - only dinks.  After 15 years of fishing on this Lake, I've always managed a couple of large fish every day out - and now I'm catching bait!  Come on, bass professors, give me the intellectual benefits of your bass fishing brains and toss me a couple of theories to chew on.  What do you think?

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Re: Question about Lake Washington...
Reply #1 - 09/30/08 at 20:57:33
Quote Print Post  
Rev,

You don't mention fishing just rocky areas. I find on Washington in the fall sometimes that big smallies relate to rock more than grass. Some will see more on grass, but for me all of my 5+ lb smallies in the fall have come off rock.

Now Glenns point is valid as well due to the fall changeover in water temps from top to bottom. I find that when you are just catching dinks the larger fish have moved out to deep water haunts and stratify over rocky humps.

Russ

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10/01/08 at 01:18:43
Quote Print Post  
Hey Rev,

I've got a couple of things to chew on... First, I would rule out the lake turning over because it usually stays stratified until late November or even December. Lake Washington needs a really big windstorm before the thermocline goes away.

Everything fish-related seems to be a couple of weeks behind this year. Whether it is due to the late-warming spring or extra summer weather we are having right now, the fish seemed to have spawned later (or at least over a longer period of time than usual), and the usual algae blooms either happened way earlier or way later than usual depending on the lake. In rivers, salmon don't seem to be following their usual timing, either.

Anyways, I tend to believe that fishing for bigger fish gets really hard when there is a lot of food available. I think with the sunny skies and warm weather, the usual prey fish suspects haven't moved out to their fall/winter haunts yet. That could explain not seeing bait on the depthfinder. Also, a lot of the bait is really big right now because the fish that spawned in the spring have had a chance to grow all summer. Chew on this: if most of the available bait right now is larger, less of it may be available to the smaller fish, so they are biting more aggressively on the stuff you are offering them. The bigger fish though, still have tons of bait available to them.

There's another interesting thing about Lake Washington: longfin smelt. They typically spawn in February-March and begin to look very tasty to bass around this time of year. Before this time of year they are larval and really translucent. Now they are bigger, more colorful, and easier for bass to see. You'll also see perch start to nail them now, too. The extra interesting part is that for unknown reasons, smelt abundance is cyclical in Lake Washington. During even years, there is a stronger class of spawning fish. That means that in the autumn of even years there are a lot more smelt than during odd years, sometimes as much as 10 times more. Maybe, just maybe, those big bass have a lot of smelt to feast on. Smelt are typically schooled in open water, and if the big bass are keying on them, they may be suspended under those schools. But, you mentioned that you haven't been seeing bait. So... maybe not... but heck, it sounds interesting.  Smiley

If the big bass aren't suspended right now, then my guess is that they are feeding heavily on the abundant bait right now in the typical haunts you know and are turning their noses at most artificial lures. If you see smallmouth spitting up smelt, let me know!!!

Actually, I take everything back. I think you should just look for largemouth. HA!

Chris

IP Logged

The_Rev.
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 10/01/08 at 04:13:08
Quote Print Post  
Russ, I agree with you about the rocky points being the location targets at this time of the year, and indeed I spent the majority of Monday concentrating on just that.  My experience agrees with you about their prefernece in the fall for the hard stuff - but that doesn't seem to be the answer in the past few weeks (though it usually is.)

Sarge, I also thought about the fact that the fish might be fat and happy - filled to the brim after a smorasborg of bait fish.  I have seen that other times of the year when salmon smelt are everywhere and moving through the lake having just come down the streams on their way out to sea.  Ironically there were hundreds of big salmon going up the streams this week (big bright red ones) so it never occured to me that some of this year's babies might be heading the other direction.)  Does that happen often sarge?

But if the big bass are filled up, then I asked myself "Why the hungry dinks?"  I think you hit upon the key Sarge - the SIZE of the food source.  That is very logical that little mouths can't eat what they can't swallow.  Hence, big fish get to pork out, while the dinks have to sit by and envy their big brothers.  I'll bet those big smallies are still along the usual weed edges where all the food is, AND perhaps the beginning formations of perch schools also makes for easy pickings right now.  I suspect that as soon as the perch schools get big enough and move out into deeper water (and away from easy ambush in the weeds) the big guys will have to follow and begin to work harder for their meals again. 

That's a great theory... I like it.  Fellow bass detectives... I think we may be on to something here.  Any other thoughts out there?

IP Logged

Larry S.
Board Moderator

Reply #4 - 10/01/08 at 11:53:53
Quote Print Post  
I Chuck....being a simple mind.....check that .....being mindless, have another theory.......
It's the Beard Chuck. Cheesy
I would like to propose that we send out 10 people in separate boats....
4 bearded....
4 clean shaven....
how or where they fish should not matter if my theory plays out just to fish for equal time on the water.

oh.......
the other two boats would be Women......
Shaven or not who should outfish the whole lot and shall be used as the control group! Wink

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 10/01/08 at 15:26:13
Quote Print Post  
Chuck,

Just to be clear, the smelt I was talking about are longfin smelt. They aren't salmon, but a resident Lake Washington fish that has a two-year life cycle before dying and somewhat resembles a herring.

http://aknhp.uaa.alaska.edu/zoology/species_ADFG/ADFG_PDFs/Fishes/Longfin_smelt_...

Now, salmon smolts (with an 'O') are the juvenile salmon that are migrating out of the lake to the ocean. Although salmon smolts will migrate out of the lake almost any time of year, the biggest migrations take place between May-July. There are a ton of fish that leave the Issaquah Creek Hatchery in April/May, and you will see a lot of those throughout the lake in addition to the large amount of naturally-produced (and some hatchery sockeye) fish leaving the Cedar River. So, you probably won't see many juvenile salmon leaving the lake right now.

Chris

P.S. Larry, I would like to be part of the moderately-shaven goatee group. Can you modify your study plan a bit?

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 10/01/08 at 18:58:09
Quote Print Post  
Can you say jerk baits in that smelt color Wink Wink

Russ

IP Logged

The_Rev.
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 10/01/08 at 20:29:40
Quote Print Post  
Sarge, are these smelt different from the stickleback minnow?  Or are we just using another name for the same thing?  I thought the stickleback was a freshwater species that stayed in the lake.  If these smelt are different, I am dumbfounded that I have not been aware of smelt in Lake Washington all this time.  It says they reproduce in winter (starting as early as November), so the smelt they would be eating now are last years crop, eh?  By the way, are there any OTHER baitfish in Lake Washington we should be aware of? 

As to the beard Larry - it's not like bass are used to fleeing from bears or satchquashes!  If anything it prevents the sun from shining off smooth skin and scaring away the fish!  In fact, long before plastics arrived the fish were eating up hair jigs!  Why just the other day a smallie jumped out of the water and grabbed my chin... but I regress.

As to the two boats with women in them, that's an unfair advantage.  I'm convinced God unfairly allows them the lion share of the luck in fishing, just to constantly humble the male ego.  (Could we males be too close to perfection? Hmm...)  Angie, do you have a different angle on this?

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 10/01/08 at 21:14:17
Quote Print Post  
Smelt are a separate species from threespine sticklebacks:

http://www.unb.ca/cri/projects/Fish_key/Gasterosteidae/3_spine_MG.htm

In Lake Washington, stickleback, smelt, perch, sculpin, and juvenile salmon are the main prey fish for smallmouth. Early in the season (March-May) salmon are really important as they move out of the Cedar and Sammamish River and head out to the middle of the lake or Puget Sound. After that, perch, stickleback, sculpin, and smelt become more important to their diets. Of course, crayfish are always important, too.

Here's a little more smelt background:
Smelt spawn in the Cedar and Sammamish Rivers from February-March. Larval smelt hatch in the spring and swim around the lake as small, clear larval fish through the summer. As fall approaches, they gain their typical silvery coloration and continue to rear in Lake Washington for another year and a half or so until they spawn at age 2. After spawning, they die. Some longfin smelt populations migrate to the ocean to rear, but the Lake Washington fish stay in the lake. Like I said in a previous post, there are usually a greater amount of spawners in even years versus odd years.

Chris

IP Logged

Troy
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 10/01/08 at 22:05:17
Quote Print Post  
wow sarge that is grade A lake washington info! 

troy

IP Logged

Pays2no
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 10/01/08 at 22:15:34
Quote Print Post  
Chris- You are wealth of information!  Now all we need is to have Danny Garrett come back from Missouri to add his take-It's sure nice having a fish biologist in our club...Thanks Chris for all your insight.

Bob

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 10/01/08 at 22:34:40
Quote Print Post  
You're welcome, guys. Any time. Now, if it only helped my fishing!

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 10/02/08 at 03:43:06
Quote Print Post  
Sarge, you beat me to that punch line Cry

While I do not fish Lake Wa much at all, ok, NOT at all, I think that Rev should borrow your Pink Princess rod you had on display at Potholes.  That is, if Terry will let you borrow it, Rev.

You Huskies are sure smart, Sarge.  Too bad they can't study film on an opponents offensive tendacies.  Maybe you should offer to breakdown some game film for Coach Willingham, they could use your analytical abilties right about now.

IP Logged

Xsftballer
Forum Member

St. Croix Rods Pro Staff,
Anglers Marine Pro Staff

Reply #13 - 10/02/08 at 07:40:19
Quote Print Post  
Can you say cut, copy and paste! Thats is going into the Lake Washington fishing data.

Good stuff Sarge

Misunderstood

IP Logged

BassAholic
Forum Member

Fords don't float !

Reply #14 - 10/02/08 at 16:48:35
Quote Print Post  
All I can say is I feel a lot better after reading this I have been on the lake 4 times & the same results as the REV I thought I just sucked but now I see its all the REVs fault  Grin

Fish like you are retired!&&Work like your on vacation!&&
IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo