Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Time for a new trolling motor (Read 3944 times)
Stu
Ex Member

Time for a new trolling motor
07/28/08 at 05:13:44
Quote Print Post  
Hey, folks.

I need your input on a new trolling motor.

My Lund has an 82 lbs thrust, electric steer, 24 volt Motorguide trolling motor.  Hate it! It's too weak for the boat and too slow to react when you move the pedal.

So, I think I want to get a Minn Kota Maxxum 101 lbs thrust (M101) , 36 volt. I need the 62" shaft because my bow is so high.

Here is what I would like your input on.
1) Good motor? I know some guys have the Maxxum motors. Not really interested in the Terrova, from what I have heard.
2) Do I need the Maxxum Pro? Looks like the main difference is the lift-assist.
3) Where should I go to get the best price? I have someone who can install it, so I just need the motor and mount. Does it all come together?
4) Any additional connectors or parts needed in addition to what comes in the box? (Other than what I needt o convert to 36 volts/ add a battery.)

Thanks.

Stu

Links:

http://www.minnkotamotors.com/products/motors/detail.asp?pg=fbm_maxxum

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/horizontal-pod.jsp;jsessionid=VO...

IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

USMC Ret.  "Full Livewells,
I'll drink to that!"

Re: Time for a new trolling motor
Reply #1 - 07/28/08 at 14:11:26
Quote Print Post  
After 40 years of bass fishing I can easily say the Minnkota "T" motors are the quietest and most reliable motors on the market today.  The power assist feature is worth it's weight in gold! Smiley
All that said, I would recommend checking our the following dealers.  Some offer free shipping.  I would even consider a factory reconditioned motor, as it comes with a 1 year warranty and is restored to factory specs.
Reedssports.com
Trolling Motor Doctor
http://trollnmotors.com/minnkota.htm
Jones trolling Motors:http://myweb.cableone.net/jonestrollingmotor/ec52c394-0991-4fbe-b1e3-1cb3ed73fdb...
All of these dealers have gotten high marks on customer service and some may give you an "Edge" on the deal. Kiss

Smitty Wink

Retired From Everything but Feeshin and doing April's bidding

IP Logged

Rwfaz
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/28/08 at 22:32:06
Quote Print Post  
Stu, I recently had some dealing with John Jones at Jonestrolling motors and would recommend him very very highly. He spoke to me on a couple of occasions on the phone, was extremely helpful and had the parts I needed at reasonable prices. He does now and then get some Factory Reconditioned Minn-kota motors and they are well priced. I agree with Smitty, the "lift-assist" with the big 101lb motor will be a blessing, specially with the extra long shaft.

Faz

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/28/08 at 22:50:16
Quote Print Post  
Have lift assist on the new rig.  You gotta have it!  It is the real deal.

IP Logged

Troy
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 07/28/08 at 23:48:12
Quote Print Post  
i had a motorguide on mine when i bought it then upgraded to a minkota maxxum and the thing is awesome.  mine doesnt have any fancy lift assist  Wink but its quiet and fast.  

comes with the mount

might need a new 36v plug for your boat dont know if they are different than a 24v

a new breaker i would think for the batterys

as for price...i got mine off ebay brand new with a warranty and it was quite a bit less than retail.  bass boat central classifieds maybe (sometimes guys win new trolling motors )

oh and i would get lift assist with a 62" shaft and 101lbs trust those things are heavy

troy

IP Logged

Stu
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 07/29/08 at 03:08:32
Quote Print Post  
Thanks, Guys.

Looks like Cabela's is in line on price and I could pick it up myself in Lacey. (just checked - none in stock at Lacey and a 3 -4 week wait to move one there) Cry

Do I need to get the universal sonar?  Seems like I'd be better off with something removable?  Then again, if it quit working within the motorm I could always attach one on the outside later. Saw some internet postings saying they tend to leak and go bad.

Stu

IP Logged

Wabasmstr
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 07/29/08 at 05:02:15
Quote Print Post  
STU, since I was once a V-Hull Owner, I suggest you get the biggest (Most powerful)trolling motor you can find.  Didn't have a Lund, but I spent way too much time on the trolling motor, alot doing with the trolling motor power, but alot due to the v hull.  I finally went up to a Minn Kota and the most powerful they had in 1998 and it helped a lot.  If you can go 36v, by all means go there and get some really good batteries and a recharging system that will handle the loads.

Chuck P

IP Logged

Rwfaz
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 07/29/08 at 06:24:32
Quote Print Post  
Stu, be careful about the "Universal Sonar" - make sure it is really compatible with your fish-finder. For Example the new Humminbird with Side Imaging has a 6 beam transducer so "Universal Sonar" is not compatible. Might be the same if you have some 3D units...... better check first.

Faz

IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

USMC Ret.  "Full Livewells,
I'll drink to that!"

Reply #8 - 07/29/08 at 13:37:00
Quote Print Post  
Heed the warnings and don't get the universal sonar.  There is way to much potential for problems. 
A 3-4 week wait seems way too long. Tongue  Did you try the Trolling Mtr Dr, Jones or Fosters?  They usually have all models in stock and same day shipping.  The Dr. is only in CA near Modesto.

Smitty Wink

Retired From Everything but Feeshin and doing April's bidding

IP Logged

Nick-Barr
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 07/29/08 at 19:50:00
Quote Print Post  
Yeah, the universal sonar is not that great, I have it and like smitty said, they are prone to problems and also they dont read water temp!!!!!!

IP Logged

Stu
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 07/30/08 at 02:16:44
Quote Print Post  
I'll stay away from the universal.

Haven't checked with the Dr., but I will.

Thanks!
Stu

IP Logged

Stu
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 09/25/08 at 03:05:45
Quote Print Post  
Do you guys think that 80 lb thrust Minn Kota would be enough for my 19' aluminum?  Ideally, the 101 would be nice, but if i didn't want to have to reconfigure the battery storage and wanted to stick with the 24 volt system? My battery compartment sits in the floor and only has room for 2 batts.  I would have to either move them all or set the 3rd battery separately.  The boat isn't all that heavy. If I stuck with 24-volts, I could pretty much just bolt on the new motor, wire it together up front and go.

Stu

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #12 - 09/25/08 at 03:22:32
Quote Print Post  
Yes, it should be fine.  I was fishing with a buddy just last week who had an 18' Aluminum Triton with an 80lb thrust Minnkota.  Worked very well.  The 101 would be overkill.  The aluminum boat I had a 45lb thrust, which was a bit under-powered for the boat, but not by much.

As for the universal, don't use it.  Just attach the hocky puck-style transducer to the bottom of the motor as always - even if it has the universal sonar.

IP Logged

Chris B.
WBC Member

Reply #13 - 09/25/08 at 03:50:48
Quote Print Post  
I agree with Glenn.  80 lb thrust should be sufficient.

Wishful Sponsors: BassCat Boats, Mercury Marine, Tackle Warehouse, Chevy Trucks, Chevron Gas, G-Loomis Rods, Shimano Reels.
IP Logged

The_Rev.
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 09/26/08 at 05:16:32
Quote Print Post  
My 17 footer (Lund) has the 70 lb - and if you want to check it out - just call me and come get it and try it out.  Your 20 footer and 80 lbs ought to be proportionally comparable.  So far I'm pleased with my choice.  I think you will be too.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo