Normal Topic Good bye Co-Anglers in BASS Elite Tourneys (Read 2419 times)
Wabasmstr
Ex Member

Good bye Co-Anglers in BASS Elite Tourneys
07/18/08 at 03:00:32
Quote Print Post  
Well, here we go again.  BASS announced that there will be NO co-anglers in their Elite Series Tourneys for the next two years at Least.  Some Pro's LOVE it and the SMART ones understand that this just might be the back breaker for BASS.  Remember, it was just a year or so ago that they Pi__ed off the West Coast in ignoring our waters for tournaments.  Now they are committing another slap in the face for co-anglers and the thousands of supporters for their tourneys? Did you know that the community that hosts a BASS event has to PAY BASS for that?  What?  Iwonder now if they'll be so eager like one gentleman wrote when the "local's won't be allowed to fish with the Pro's".  Plus look at the support these tournaments get from the locals.

I see a total collapse of BASS due to their ignorant behavior and their continued slap in the face.  Now I understand the ELITE's need to make money.  But when I hear one of them say, "I can't stand when my back seater catches the fish that would have won me the tourney".  Well, lets see, the Boater is probably first on the site and area to fish for as long and how as he wants.  Most back seaters get left over waters.  If the back seater caught the fish, maybe, just maybe, the ELITE should be asking him about techniques.  Hey, whether PRO or back seater, it should also be about building the SPORT.  Let the Pro's make their money, but please, don't make the back seater the new SCAPEGOAT.  I for one have had it with BASS.  Thank God, so far the FLW still loves the back seater.  Just my 2.5 cents worth as a back seater.

Chuck Pigue Angry Angry Angry Angry

IP Logged

Rwfaz
Ex Member

Re: Good bye Co-Anglers in BASS Elite Tourneys
Reply #1 - 07/18/08 at 08:49:22
Quote Print Post  
Frankly, I'm disgusted at the attitude being displayed by the Pro Anglers over this. They would NOT be Top Professionals or ELITE Anglers without the BILLIONS of dollars spent by the likes of the Co-Anglers, their friends and families and club colleagues. To blame a Co-Angler for a fish they didn't catch is rubbish, if they missed that fish from the front of the boat first time around, do they know for sure it will sit around and wait for them to come back for it?

We weekend anglers are the foundation of Bass fishing... B.A.S.S. after Ray Scott has continued to descend down the slippery slope of ignoring its supporters in favor of the sponsors. Who will sponsor them when the supporters cut back on their support?

I let my membership of B.A.S.S lapse when they stopped coming to the NW a while back. I had dreamed of one day spending the money to compete as a Co-Angler, just for the experience of being around the Professionals and learning by watching. Now they have not only taken that away from me, but from every other fan of Bass Fishing in America. I hope they are proud of letting the Almighty dollar rule their decisions, and not heeding the needs of those of us who earn and spend those dollars.

IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

USMC Ret.  "Full Livewells,
I'll drink to that!"

Reply #2 - 07/18/08 at 13:41:44
Quote Print Post  
After reading and thinking about you folks venting and complaning, perhaps more club members can understand why Western Bass Club is an independent organization, and has survived so long. Smiley

Smitty Wink

Retired From Everything but Feeshin and doing April's bidding

IP Logged

Chris B.
WBC Member

Reply #3 - 07/18/08 at 19:06:45
Quote Print Post  
I would love to fish a tournament and have no distractions, and not have to worry about putting someone else on fish.  If I was that good and could fish for a living, I'd be in BASS over FLW. 
Let the Flames begin !!!!   
I need to have my full attention on the fishing or I suck, don't hate me  Roll Eyes
I think it comes from me fishing out of a tiny boat for so many years, taking someone else along sucked so it grew on me to fish alone  Wink

Wishful Sponsors: BassCat Boats, Mercury Marine, Tackle Warehouse, Chevy Trucks, Chevron Gas, G-Loomis Rods, Shimano Reels.
IP Logged

Troy
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 07/18/08 at 20:53:25
Quote Print Post  
i dont think kevin vandam worries about putting his co-angler on fish  Smiley.  i think this a a horrible move by bass.  i've been looking more and more at flw and now with a legitamate WESTERN tour, not to mention there involvement of the northwest within that tour, the flw tour looks very appealing to our striving washington anglers.  look at hobbs and kromm and mack and minderman etc etc. 

i would love to hear how the club members who are fishing the qualifiers feel about this.

this was not meant to be a pro flw post, but...  Roll Eyes

troy

IP Logged

Larry S.
Board Moderator

Reply #5 - 07/18/08 at 23:48:37
Quote Print Post  
Having fished a year as a Co-Angler and a year as a boater for the FLW, I have to say that the decision Bass has made will undoubtedly be overturned as the CO's are the future PRO's and to coin a phrase from another website....
BASS has "Jumped the Shark"
Although I believe I thought that back when BASS split from Ranger forcing the formation of FLW in the first place and ESPN had just deversified for the sake of getting a good show but that has been played out and hopefully this will be what forces the sale of BASS to someone who cares!
www.jumptheshark.com

IP Logged

Wabasmstr
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 07/19/08 at 22:56:20
Quote Print Post  
As for the worry of our single boater, I can't remember anyone ever putting me on fish outside of our club members until they were satisfied with their catch.  Having fished the FLW qualifiers as a back seater, unfortunately I knew more about the lakes than my boater did.  Now who's at fault?  I just think that being such a large organization that relies on it's membership to even keep going, to cut the one hope of any of us to fish with a pro is just STUPID.  I agree, I doubt KVD worries about if his back seaters catches any fish, and personally I don't or wouldn't require him to put me on fish.  If by chance I catch a fish while serving as his backseater, I'd be GREAT.  Smitty, I don't think this is why we are so independent, rather this is why we are One Of the BEST down home, learning, teaching, friendliest clubs around.  But even then, it has it's Pro's and Con's when some want to participate up the chain.  Luckily we have found ways around that and still get to do that also.  ESPN is in it for the Sponsor dollars, not necessarily the armchair or weekend fisherman.  They will undoubtedly be receiving less support now.

IP Logged

Nick-Barr
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 07/20/08 at 04:52:07
Quote Print Post  
I am going to have to say that to make  the tour the TRUE Elite-Series.......The back seater DID NOT have to go completely. I can see how the pro's are complaining about another line in the water as think of team fishing then having to split it up. But as you all said, it starts with the grass roots and the co-angler......If BASS wanted to cut of the co-angler, why didnt they just cut down to the first 2 days of competition and the last 2 days you are an observer? I think that BASS has made a decision that the pro's might like, but if your not the 107 guys fishing the Elite Series...then you are mad along with me.

Hopefully, BASS does not drop the co-angler from other circuits. If they do, BASS will be in for a big surprise come down the road.

One thing that has truly disgusted me with BASS is there reluctancy to come out West after the BASS/FLW Federation Split.......worried about commitment and such.
BASS has said time and time again......."sometime we will come out west". Is BASS just not that interested in Western Anglers, I would like to see a BASS and FLW Western Trail, something that will grow the sport of bass fishing....but I guess National/Corporate BASS isnt into that anymore.

-Nick

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #8 - 07/21/08 at 23:48:37
Quote Print Post  
This big decsion by BASS did what?

Effected a handfull of guys.  Elite Co anglers?

How many of you will never fish again because of this?

How many of you will never buy products again?

There are only a handfull of pros out there compared to the millions of other fishing licenses being sold across the US.

Whether tournaments existed or didn't, I'm still fishing like everybody else is.   I'm still buying product, and its not because of the pros.

I bought products before BASS was on TV.   Most of us older fellows have had Orlando Wilson, Bill Dance fishin shows, but never saw much of the pros footage of days of old.

Ya'll call them info commercials now days.    

Please, everyone just tell me who quit fishing because of this?   Anyone?    

Then, whats the fuss?  lol

Besides, BASS/ESPN had made it very clear for several years now that they want to make the Elite Series a true professional sport, just like football, baskeball, baseball, etc.  Every move they've made in the recent past has been a step in that direction.  So this shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

Maybe this is no big deal to me because I have no intent on becoming "a pro" bass angler.  Maybe this is no big deal to me because there's still plenty of opportunities out there for anyone who wants to become "a pro".  Maybe this is no big deal to me because even if there were no rule change, I'd still have to travel hundreds, if not thousands of miles in order to compete, which is the biggest hurdle of them all, IMO.

And maybe this is no big deal to me because BASS has absolutely no control whatsoever over WBC - THANK GOD!!  Cool

IP Logged

Wabasmstr
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 07/22/08 at 03:04:19
Quote Print Post  
Well Stated Glenn, however, if you watch their elite schedule, I believe they are coming out West in 2010 and that would allow someone to pay and fish with the Elite guys if they wanted.  Funny how they decided to come back out west.  Maybe they saw a large contingent of clubs die out or move over to the FLW.  Whether we get to fish it or not or do or don't buy tackle, etc., it's just the fact that they (Corporate America) often defeats its own purpose and cuts its own throat.  I bet coming back at WEST wasn't just a "Oh shucks, we better go out west", rather "Wow, we sure lost a lot of Members to FLW".  I choose the latter.  But you did make good points and yes we are glad they don't control the WBC.

Chuck P

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo