Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) BASS state team potholes qualifier? (Read 5532 times)
Troy
Ex Member

BASS state team potholes qualifier?
06/24/08 at 23:27:17
Quote Print Post  
so i know a few of you fished it.  maderos....snodgrass....how did it go!?

troy

IP Logged

Stu
Ex Member

Re: BASS state team potholes qualifier?
Reply #1 - 06/25/08 at 03:26:14
Quote Print Post  
The results are at the "2008 Angler of the Year, year to date" link at http://bassfedwa.homestead.com/Tournaments.html

Stu

IP Logged

The Weedwalker
WBC Member

Here fishy, fishy..........

Reply #2 - 06/25/08 at 03:43:29
Quote Print Post  
Congrates to Mark Madaros on making the state team. Way to be!! Wink Cool

Brian Walker (The Weedwalker)

IP Logged

marktfd88
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/25/08 at 15:17:08
Quote Print Post  
Haven't made the state team yet.  We still have Tri Cities to go in August.  It will be happening the same weekend and the club tourney.  We will be launching from Columbia Pt. Park, fortunately it's a big ramp and can handle both events easily.  Two solid days up the river for me and I should make the team again.
  As to Potholes, had a great prefish and found lots of new water.  I knew I was on to something when on Sat and Sun, I had Tony Lind, David Kromm, and Jeff Boyer around me all day.  Would have done a little better on Sun, but miss culled a fish.  Also missed a 6.5 lb'r by 5 ft.  My backseater caught it when I pitched short of it by 5 ft.  His next pitch hooked the big girl. 
  Daryl struggled on day 2 with boat problems.

Mark

IP Logged

Pays2no
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 06/25/08 at 21:14:12
Quote Print Post  
Congratulations Mark on doing so well thus far...I'm confident you will make the team.   We sure missed your funny sense of humor this weekend at Riffe...it's just not the same without you.

By the way, since you brought up the issue that the BASS Federation Nation will be fishing the Tri- Cities Aug 23-24 I would like to investigate the possiblity of our club changing our tourney to the week prior.  I checked the WDFW website and it appears there is no one scheduled on the Wallula Pool that weekend.  I personally would rather not have to fight for spots with additional 70-80 boats.  I know the river is huge and there are plenty of places to fish,but if we could have the river to ourselves it would be a lot more fun...just my opinion.  I realize we are back to the same issue of some people having already established vacation plans around our current tournament schedule but since there isn't any camping reservations to deal with due to Pasco, Kennewick and Richland's no camping ordiance... I figured the impact would be minimal.

I guess my overall bigger concern is why we continue to have these conflicts with the bigger events in the first place.  I thought that's why we sent representatives from our club to the conflict resolutions meeting back in January to prevent issues like this.  In the six years I have been in this club, I don't ever recalling us having to share the water with the big boys....I guess we've been lucky up until this year.

Your thoughts?

Bob

IP Logged

Daryl
Forum Member

Reply #5 - 06/25/08 at 22:03:48
Quote Print Post  
Bob

We only had 24 boats for the BASS. No big deal.

Daryl

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 06/26/08 at 00:11:51
Quote Print Post  
Daryl,

Only 24 boats for a BASS qualifier. That should be a cake walk. I remember competing against close to 100+ back in the early 90's.

Can you say uncrowded spots. Heck maybe I should look into fishing these again if they are actually organized? I remember when the FED actually screwed up the draws for partners and couldn't decide who had actually won the events.

Russ

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #7 - 06/26/08 at 00:30:40
Quote Print Post  
Congratulations Mark!  You're well on your way to making the team!

Bob - I'm with you on this one.  Whether it's 20 or 100 extra boats, I would rather not deal with it if I don't have to.  And you're right, seems like there's a lot more conflicts than we've ever had to deal with in past years.  Not sure why that it is, however.

IP Logged

Stu
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 06/26/08 at 01:38:21
Quote Print Post  
The reason for the increase in conflicts is that beginning the 2008 tourney year, the WDFW now only allows two weekends per month of tournaments on each body of water.

Check out the page that has the 2008 bass contests: http://www.wdfw.wa.gov/fish/contests/2008contests.htm

With very few exceptions, there are only bass contests on each lake during a maximum of two weekends each month. It has been chaos for everyone. This is also why we have seen open tourneys dumped on top of clubs (Chelan in May).

The state is also going to require that the applications get in to them earlier than in previous years (Oct 1). If you don't get them in by the deadline, you have to fight for any leftovers after the conflict resolution meeting. The TD is going to have to be on top of this come fall.

( http://www.wdfw.wa.gov/fish/contests/index.htm )

"Fishing Contests
A fishing contest is defined as any event where six or more licensed anglers (age 15 and older) fish competitively for game fish and determine winners, regardless of the prize value. A permit is required by the department and the fee is $24.00 per permit (no more than seven permits will be issued to any one permittee during the calendar year). Applications for fishing contest permits may be submitted at any time of the year, but they must be received by the department no less than 30 days prior to the start date of the proposed contest. However, applications for fishing contest permits for bass and walleye contests must be received by the department by October 1 of the year preceding the year in which the contests are planned to be held. These applications will be processed simultaneously so all applicants have an equal opportunity to get preferred dates. Bass and walleye fishing contest applications received after October 1 will be processed on a first come first serve basis. Upon completion of a fishing contest, a final report is required to be submitted within 30 days. Please see the link to the Washington Administrative Code (WAC) that governs fishing events for more detailed information. "

Stu

IP Logged

Troy
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 06/26/08 at 01:46:38
Quote Print Post  
i say keep it the same weekend,  i like seeing how our weights stack up to our statea best anglers.  and like daryl said it was only 24 boats.  plus if we fish the same weekend i can scream "go maderos" and i can get darly and macks autograph  Cheesy

troy

IP Logged

marktfd88
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 06/26/08 at 03:08:33
Quote Print Post  
very funny Troy. Grin  Actually, it can be a valuable learning tool to see where some of the states best fish.  And with it being 24 boats, its not like it will be stacked up.

Mark

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #11 - 06/26/08 at 03:36:56
Quote Print Post  
Hasn't it always been 2 weekends per month?  I know it was back when I was on the board back in the '90s.  Maybe they took it away and brought it back - or did it ever go away?

IP Logged

Stu
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 06/26/08 at 05:19:40
Quote Print Post  
Both Jim and the guys from other clubs told me that they changed the rules this year and that there were a lot more conflicts. Smitty has lots of recent experience at these meetings.

Hey, Smitty. Could you confirm if things have changed on this front? Maybe there are more clubs and more opens, as well?

Stu

IP Logged

Pays2no
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 06/26/08 at 06:01:08
Quote Print Post  
Stu- Thanks for the info.   This certainly gives me more understanding as to what's been happening this year.  It sure would be helpful if we could get some clarification from the State as to why they have decided to do this.  I'm assuming there's been a lot of complaining from the "weekend angler" about all the bass tournaments clogging up ramps and making fishing conditions more difficult for the average joe.

IP Logged

Xsftballer
Forum Member

St. Croix Rods Pro Staff,
Anglers Marine Pro Staff

Reply #14 - 06/26/08 at 07:54:13
Quote Print Post  
Congrats Mark on this year so far.

Mike

Misunderstood

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo