Normal Topic Fishing Kids - Volunteers! - June 6th and 7th (Read 2636 times)
Stu
Ex Member

Fishing Kids - Volunteers! - June 6th and 7th
05/07/08 at 05:06:58
Quote Print Post  
Friday evening, June 6th and Saturday, June 7th  
Fishing Kids – need "rod riggers" and “guides”
Gene Coulon Park -  Lake Washington – Renton

WBC needs volunteers to rig rods on Friday night, June 6th and volunteers for Saturday, June 7th to help the children catch (& some to clean) the fish.  There will be a sign-up sheet at the May 15 club meeting.

Here is info on the event:

“The Fishing Kids program, built around the slogan: Getting more kids fishing, more often, is designed to create and provide more fishing opportunities for urban youth  in the State of Washington.”

”Each event is designed to host 500 to 1,200 kids. ... each participant receives a Fishing Kids T-shirt and a Zebco rod and reel. Participants must pre-register, walk-ups will be accepted (room permitting). The kids fish in groups  of 100 to 250 for 30-60 minutes each, depending on the site. Experienced anglers (guides) are on hand to instruct and help children and parents alike.

While one group fishes, the next group participates in casting competitions and educational sessions provided by local fishing organizations. Informational tables, manned by such agencies as Fish & Wildlife Aquatic Education Department, the Coast Guard and other outdoor related entities, are also on hand.”

”Fishing Kids is presented by the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife Youth Sportfishing Program and the C.A.S.T. for Kids Foundation.”

Fishing Kids Web Site: http://www.castforkids.org/fishingkids.aspx

IP Logged

Larry S.
Board Moderator

Re: Fishing Kids - Volunteers! - June 6th and 7th
Reply #1 - 05/08/08 at 16:32:38
Quote Print Post  
Times are Friday...4pm till approx 7pm for rigging rods and set up.
7:30 am Saturday till done...usually around 3pm if memory serves.
Great fun and satisfying watching all the kids catch fish, some for the very first time!!! Grin

P.S.....bring towels and wear blood resistant clothing!! these fish bleed alot, and are very slippery!!! Shocked

IP Logged

Stu
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/05/08 at 06:37:33
Quote Print Post  
Reminder on this event.  Hope to see many of you there.

Stu

IP Logged

Rwfaz
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/05/08 at 08:48:05
Quote Print Post  
I'll be there as usual. At least four of my work Colleagues have signed their kids up for this, some of them for the third year running.

See ya there.

Faz

IP Logged

Stu
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 06/08/08 at 00:32:10
Quote Print Post  
Had a great time at the Fishing Kids event today.

The WBC crew working the front lines with the kids was Faz, Jose, Phil, Mike Beedle, Smitty, me and my son, Ryan.  Larry and Brian were working the Seahawks CAST side of the event. Did I miss anyone?

Thanks to everyone who volunteered!

Stu
« Last Edit: 06/08/08 at 15:37:03 by »  

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo