Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Clear Lake Ca (Read 3982 times)
Xsftballer
Forum Member

St. Croix Rods Pro Staff,
Anglers Marine Pro Staff

Clear Lake Ca
04/07/08 at 20:42:30
Quote Print Post  
Well we have returned from the BIG lake with some success. I will try my hand with the pictures.

The big one 9lb

9lb

9lb

5-04 on a swimbait

I will try and break it down by day.

When we finally got there Ed and I launched out of Red Bud as we had to get our license at Wal Mart. We ended up down by Rattlesnake Island and had no success in the afternoon throwing jigs or swimbaits.

We launched later in the afternoon and the water temp had gone up to 55.8 by around 4pm. Went to the State Park and finally picked one up on a Brown and Black jig with a Paca Craw trailer. That was it until darkness fell then we picked up 2 more on a Texas rigged Brush Hog that was Black with Emerald Flake, biggest at that point was around 3lbs.

03/29 – Launched around 7:30am and caught most of our fish up north around Nice. Water seemed to be the warmest there early in the week. Water temp in the morning was 52-54. We ended up with most of our fish caught on 5” Senkos in Watermelon or Watermelon W/ red flake while almost dead sticking them. Very few came on the fall.

03/30 Fished the Keys for a while with very little success. This was my chance to bring home the big one but my nickname for this trip and until I can seal the deal is going to be Bobby Ayala! If you can remember the closing pitcher for the Mariners you will get the joke. Anyway I missed a good fish on a swimbait early. So we decided to fish further in the Keys and flip some. I stayed with my Brush Hog I mentioned earlier and flipping very slow along the tullie bank. We heard some commotion behind us and watched a couple fishing for Crappie hook into about a 3lb bass. I had turned back around to say to Ed it’s always the new people that catch the big ones. In the mean time I had picked up the slack line and felt the feel on the end of my rod that meant only one thing. Fish! I also watched my line swim off to the right very slowly. So I reeled down and gave the only hook set I know how to do and that’s from my pinkie toe to the last hair on my head….. I broke my line. Snapped it right off, 20lb test. Boy you can only imagine what came out of my mouth after that! That was my best chance I believe at the big one in Clear Lake.

By Thursday the water temp in the north end was around 60-61 degrees. And let me tell you….. It was on! When we pulled up to a spot the Russ had told me about, thanks Russ, I threw out at the mouth and BAM a 3 pounder. Next cast a 5-04 another cast was a small one but the action for the next hour was unreal! We ended up with around 12 fish all on swimbaits. At this time they were inhaling the bait, not like before. In fact I hate to bring this up but the 5-04 I caught actually was bleeding when I brought her up to the boat. She had eaten the s/bait so much she had it down her throat and was severely bleeding. I put her in the live well for over and hour but she ultimately died. We gave her to some people that actually eat fish (yuck).

Friday morning was real cold and the water temp had dropped 4 degrees. Boy was it a hard bite. The afternoon bite was the best bite overall by far. That’s when it happened! I will try and explain this as best I can. You have to remember that I have not seen a fish of this size and I am supposed to be the experienced of the two of us. Well let me tell you that was out of the window after I saw this fish jump!

It was a cold late afternoon when Ed and I pulled up into what I call cell phone cove (ask Henry). Nothing special but a slight breeze blowing into a set of docks. Seems like the place where fish would hang out? I was throwing a 5” swimbait and Ed was throwing the for mentioned senko. I was trying to keep the boat out of the docks because of the breeze blowing us. Ed had casted into a dock and had a bite. He missed it but said that fish felt big. So he fixed his senko and threw back into the same spot about three more times when wham! Ed says “this is a big fish”! I did not say much at first as I am trying to keep the boat out of the docks. Then the fish jumped! Oh my god! Ed yells DONKEY! I happened to see this fish come all of the way out of the water and I freaked out. I ran to the back of the boat and grabbed the net. By this time we are both yelling and laughing so hard I can barely see with all of the tears. I then run back up the front of the boat to hit the trolling motor and get us and the fish away from the dock. Ed fights this fish like it was the fish of his life, it probably was. I have my line all over the boat and we are still yelling Donkey at this point. Finally he gets sit up to the boat and I netted it all 9lbs of her. Biggest fish I have ever seen! During the fight of this giant fish, Ed was laughing so hard he actually peed a little bit. I am sure he is not going to like that I told you but it brings it into perspective the size of this thing.

We are going again in October and then in late April next year. I woul
« Last Edit: 04/08/08 at 10:47:13 by Xsftballer »  

Misunderstood

IP Logged

Daryl
Forum Member

Re: Clear Lake Ca
Reply #1 - 04/07/08 at 21:19:36
Quote Print Post  
You suck with pictures!

IP Logged

Chris B.
WBC Member

Reply #2 - 04/07/08 at 21:39:00
Quote Print Post  
FIXED one pic for you.  Got any more ??
« Last Edit: 04/08/08 at 00:44:37 by Chris B. »  

Wishful Sponsors: BassCat Boats, Mercury Marine, Tackle Warehouse, Chevy Trucks, Chevron Gas, G-Loomis Rods, Shimano Reels.
IP Logged

Ray
Forum Member

Reply #3 - 04/07/08 at 21:55:53
Quote Print Post  
So is that cove now called "pee in pants cove"?   Grin

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/07/08 at 23:22:08
Quote Print Post  
I would have to agree with Mike. Its worth every penny of vacation dollars to spend a week of time on this lake. The great possibility of catching that donkey in the 9-14lb class is better here than anywhere else in the country besides Okeechobee with minnows or Toho but those are a lot farther.

We are planning a trip there for next year for the third week of April and so far those who are interested in comming are Mike Stahlman, myself, Mark Chevrier, Pat Sotherland and hoping the Dovers join us and anyone else who would like to partner up or bring there boat.

We have a motel that costs $59/Night that is a quarter mile away from a free public launch and plenty of boat/truck parking.

Russ

IP Logged

Xsftballer
Forum Member

Anglers Marine Pro Staff

Reply #5 - 04/08/08 at 00:50:34
Quote Print Post  
I think I got it? My computer at work does not let us look at pictures. Is the picture on the post?

Misunderstood

IP Logged

Chris B.
WBC Member

Reply #6 - 04/08/08 at 00:59:25
Quote Print Post  
The picture is there.  I fixed it like 15 minutes ago Mike.

After you load your pic on photobucket, it says IMG code, it does it all for you if you copy and paste all that together.

Wishful Sponsors: BassCat Boats, Mercury Marine, Tackle Warehouse, Chevy Trucks, Chevron Gas, G-Loomis Rods, Shimano Reels.
IP Logged

Terry
WBC Member

Reply #7 - 04/08/08 at 02:50:51
Quote Print Post  
Sounds like an awesome trip guys.  Someday I'll make it down there.  Thanks for sharing.

Team A$$pocket!!"
Old Paid For Boat" pro staff

IP Logged

Troy
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 04/08/08 at 03:54:25
Quote Print Post  
mike if you caught a nine pounder while fishing with me and YOU pee'd your pants I would not have posted about it on the internet  Grin.  awesome job buddy.  ima give you a call here in a few weeks or so whenever i get a chance to fish that lake we talked about at the frostbite, if you want to tag along Lips Sealed.  you will pee... i will post... 

awesome trip!

troy

IP Logged

Xsftballer
Forum Member

Anglers Marine Pro Staff

Reply #9 - 04/08/08 at 10:44:57
Quote Print Post  
A 2-04 Crappie on a swimbait!

Me hugging the 9lb.

Troy stuff like that has to be told and it was more dribble than p.

Misunderstood

IP Logged

Chris B.
WBC Member

Reply #10 - 04/08/08 at 14:35:22
Quote Print Post  
Now those are some awesome pics !!!  Thanks for sharing Mike !!

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #11 - 04/08/08 at 18:43:33
Quote Print Post  
Great pics, awesome trip!  Thanks for sharing (that's a huge speck too!).

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 04/08/08 at 20:13:47
Quote Print Post  
Nice pics and great job with the story.

IP Logged

Daryl
Forum Member

Reply #13 - 04/08/08 at 20:53:40
Quote Print Post  
Mike

Are you sure that fish was not your date? You look pretty comfortable hugging that fish.

Daryl

PS- A peed on fish on top of that. What am I going to do with you kids? It's legal in Washington, I don't know about California.

IP Logged

Xsftballer
Forum Member

Anglers Marine Pro Staff

Reply #14 - 04/09/08 at 10:58:38
Quote Print Post  
Here is a picture of the first trip we took to Clear Lake and ended up getting a guide Richard Pounds.

Last years April trip

Misunderstood

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo