Normal Topic Draining Lake Powell (Read 1277 times)
Tubetric
Forum Member

The fun of fishing is
the friends you make!!!!!!!!

Draining Lake Powell
03/07/08 at 17:35:41
Quote Print Post  
Anyone else heard what there doing with the dam on the Grand Canyon. From what I heard and read, Its supposse to be open for sixty hours to help a fish near extenction, but in the prosses there draining Lake Powell in the process. That cant be good for that fishery.

&& &&

IP Logged

Larry S.
Board Moderator

Re: Draining Lake Powell
Reply #1 - 03/07/08 at 18:30:47
Quote Print Post  
They are pumping 300.000 gallons a second thru Glen Canyon Dam into the canyon in hopes of adding sediment and gravel bars downstream for the rehab process.... ( a controlled flood to emulate the flooding processes lost when the dams went in) it was done twice in years past and Discover Channel did a documentary on how and why. As to what it will mean for Lake Powell.....I have not seen the effect to that fishery but it would be interesting to see.

IP Logged

marktfd88
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/07/08 at 18:42:15
Quote Print Post  
As a kid I was fortunate to live and fish in Lake Powell in the 70's.  The initial flooding of all the side canyons made for very fertile fish habitat and the fishing was phenominal.  ( can you say 25 bass over 5lbs in one weekend)  That being said and knowing that the habitat, read brush and flooded cottonwood trees, have rotted away over the years, I am thinking a major draw down and allowing some new growth to take place will help the fishing in the years to come.  The lake over the years has been declining in largemouth and the smallies have been taking over.  With a draw down and refilling, it might improve the largemouth fishing.

Mark

IP Logged

S._Basser
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/13/08 at 03:38:52
Quote Print Post  
They are doing pretty much the same thing on the Snake, with the excuse of "flushing the salmon smolt downstream". Uh...maybe. But just maybe it's to be able to keep the price of electricity up? Probably other possible reasons, too, but that's my favorite! C&R, Steve

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo