Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Sportsman Show (Read 3569 times)
Wabasmstr
Ex Member

Sportsman Show
01/28/08 at 02:45:16
Quote Print Post  
Is it me or did the Vendor list seems smaller?  I can't believe Auburn Sports and Marine was reduced to a G.Loomis Booth only and of course a few of their boats?  Must be starting to get really expensive to participate then.   Seems harder to buy what you want at the show also.  couldn't get any of the new hooks or baits I wanted, and the flourocarbon line wasn't in stock either.  Maybe it's becoming more of a SHOW ME show than a purchase show. 

Mr Triton was still the big ownership of bass boat space and Ranger was crammed into a corner of the large hall.....

Nitro......Where are your Bass Boats??????? Still no support at the show for them...although Mark, you looked great in the sponsored shirt............and you were busy trying to sell that Bass Tracker.......

No Champions, No Legends, No Bass Cats..........Alot of new Skeeters to show off though.....

Thanks to Smitty for the Gamma demo.....sold me on the line now.......

WBC booth looked great and was up and running with updated pictures, etc....great job as usual.....

No bass tank........Lets go to Cabelas....That's where it is now adays.......

Just some observations..............Oh, I did hear from one new member who was surprised we wouldn't take him to our specific holes to catch bass, but he was told he would get general info and thought we should share more.  I just told him we share experiences, techniques and general fishing, but if he expected a tour guide, he's looking in the wrong place.....At least that's what I've always been told.....We gladly teach....but if you want to catch fish,,,,,,spend the time with everyone you can, learn all you can and enjoy.

cp

Later,

Chuck P

IP Logged

Larry S.
Board Moderator

Re: Sportsman Show
Reply #1 - 01/28/08 at 03:36:30
Quote Print Post  
Your right on all counts Chuck....we are in a time of transition where the little guys (Stores like Auburn Sports) are taking a beating by the larger stores...(Cabellas,Sportsmens Wherehouse, Sportco to name a few) so you have to downsize they're outreach every year.....I have several Loomis rigs but would have liked to see the Shimano stuff more. Did like seeing Glenn from Hog Quest as the only guy from T.V. that has in interesting show!

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 01/28/08 at 18:19:06
Quote Print Post  
huck,

Your right I was disappointed as well. The show is getting smaller every year.

I did get a chance although sick  Crywhile there get to view a lot of camper options for the future. Loved the Arctic Fox campers slide outs. Wish I could have bought Stalhmans camper.

Russ

IP Logged

Y2SAYS
Forum Administrator
WBC Member
WBC Board Member

Reply #3 - 01/29/08 at 00:40:15
Quote Print Post  
Yep, not impressed at all this year.  Very limited venders and the first time I left there not buying anything.

"Do or do not, there is no try"

IP Logged

bassin9
WBC Member

I Love WBC!

Reply #4 - 01/29/08 at 01:05:24
Quote Print Post  
Although the show seemed smaller this year than the past, I still had alot of fun helping out at the WBC booth. Not knowing what to expect, I did learn alot, as well as my wife,  by just listening and the folks I met were very interesting. Next year , I wil be better prepared, not only sell more raffle tickets but also bring new prospects to some meetings.

Russ, I hope your feeling better and get well soon. Wish I could of been of more help.

Larry, like I said, "THANKS" for telling me about WBC, the folks are awesome. Can't wait to go do some fishing.

Chuck, sorry I did not introduce my self, it will not happen again, you and Larry were so into your discussion I did not want to interrupt. Again I was just having fun listening.

Last but not least, Andrea thank you for being so helpful that day. When we got there we were a little lost of what we should be doing but, you explained everything to us and it was simple.  Thanks again. Oh by the way the Wanda cookies were Awesome!

To the rest of the club members that we met Thank You!

IP Logged

Brian
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 01/29/08 at 02:26:07
Quote Print Post  
I think that the space at the fair is so expensive, that most of the vendors really can't afford to sell tackle for the little margin they make with it. We are working on getting something together possibly, so the vendors bring all of the specialty items, are charged next to nothing, and pass the savings on to the fishermen. That way everyone makes out well. The bass guys really don't need to see the all the guides lined up all over the place..... with the blank stare in their face as you pass everyone of them by. Kinda harsh, but I would have a tough time booking a guide at one of those shows.... or even booking one period!
Just my .02
Brian

IP Logged

Wabasmstr
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 01/29/08 at 03:08:42
Quote Print Post  
Now to top it off, the burner reel I bought, unopened box and all,  turns out to be a left hand retrieve in the box with a part number for a right hand...this will be interesting in trying to get it exchanged through SPORTCO.......... I knew I should have checked it but I just trusted the box....MY BIG MISTAKE......

Bassin9, no big deal.  I should have introduced myself also.....next time, and glad you enjoyed the booth and the experience. 

Rus, it's chuck not huck, unless it huckleberry, sorry RUSS.................
Shocked Shocked Shocked

Thanks to all that replied.  Yeah Larry, I too wanted to look more at the Shimano Rods, but was told to visit the store...... Not a good sales reply at all....Oh well. I guess ya can't have your bass and eat it too, or it that supposed to be you can't have your crappie and eat it too....... Grin Grin Grin

Thanks to all for the replies.

Chuck P

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #7 - 01/29/08 at 23:00:44
Quote Print Post  
ya, I think that's the fastest Keri and I have made it through the show.  We made the compulsory stop by the Garlic Gourmey booth, but found little else of interest.  I was actually kinda boring.  I thought it was just me being jaded after being to ICAST last summer, but glad to find out everyone else feels the same way.

IP Logged

marktfd88
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 01/30/08 at 02:00:45
Quote Print Post  
Thanks to all who stopped by!!!
  I had alot of fun working at the show.  A totally different perspective when you are on the other side of the fence.  As to why Nitro didn't have a bass boat, well, let's just say someone with alot more 0000's behind their name than mine made the decision.  I would not hesitate to put any Nitro boat on display and have the consumer compare them to any other of the brands out there.  I encourage all that came by my booth to look around and decide for themselves what is the best boat for them.  Don't know if that is good salemanship.  But I do know that is good customer service.
  As to the status of the show, yeah, it seemed alot slower and alot less boothes and participants.  Tough economy, Seattle Boat show, last weekend of duck season, and the Grand opening of Cabela's could all account for some of the fall off.
  Once again, thanks who all came by and said "HI" to me.  Sorry if I could spend more time with each of you, but customer's were a calling.

Mark

IP Logged

Nick-Barr
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 01/31/08 at 03:20:03
Quote Print Post  
Yep, It was fun talking to everyone down there at the SHOW, unfortunately I was only there on wed. and Thurs. because I was even dragged to the SEA Boat Show to work for Outdoor Emporium. As for not having any Legends at the show, the closest dealer is in Idaho and it is really tough for them to do a show that is far away and very exspensive. 

I was very dissapointed in the amount of vendors at the show. I was REALLY DISAPPOINTED when my 25 CENT (10 Pack)JIG TRAILERS and my 25 CENT (3 Pack) of silicone skirts were not for sale!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I also found it fun to dig around the dollar bins of baits.

If anyone is going to drop by the Monroe Sportsmans Show, OUTDOOR EMPORIUM is going to have a fire sale of lots of RAPALA and Terminator Spinnerbaits and possibly more. We are working on it right now, but how about having Terminator T-1 Spinnerbaits for $3 each????

-Nick

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 01/31/08 at 03:37:27
Quote Print Post  
I wouldn't take a terminator spinnerbait even if you gave it to me. That can't be Titanium if they break in half when you cast them. Angry Angry

Russ

IP Logged

Chris B.
WBC Member

Reply #11 - 01/31/08 at 06:07:51
Quote Print Post  
No wonder you keep hurting your elbow, you cast too hard.  Sign me up for the Terminators  Cheesy

Wishful Sponsors: BassCat Boats, Mercury Marine, Tackle Warehouse, Chevy Trucks, Chevron Gas, G-Loomis Rods, Shimano Reels.
IP Logged

Nick-Barr
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 01/31/08 at 06:27:01
Quote Print Post  
I am going to try and get some stainless there too.

HOW ABOUT SOME BULK DROPSHOT WEIGHTS!!!!!!!!!! a "Top Brand" ex-Prototype that I will have for sale.

I am also working on getting a NickBarrFishing.com booth there inside the OE booth.

-Nick

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 01/31/08 at 20:17:38
Quote Print Post  
Now stainless is another story Wink Wink Smiley Smiley. Its not that your throwing them too hard they are just too brittle. I can whip any other spinnerbait out hard and fast and they don't break. No wonder they are giving them away.

Russ

IP Logged

Joel_Booth
Forum Member

Silver?........ I hate
Silver!!

Reply #14 - 01/31/08 at 22:43:36
Quote Print Post  
Geez Russ you should stay out of the gym.  Wink Wink Grin Grin

I'm just playing with you, I've never had one break?  Never tried stainless though either? Huh

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo