Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Best 3 Lines (Read 5562 times)
topjimmy
Ex Member

Re: Best 3 Lines
Reply #15 - 01/14/08 at 04:10:39
Quote Print Post  
I have tried several different lines and have stoped with Seagaur  Cool.I really like it for jerks and cranks.I use Stren braid for spinnerbaits +buzzbaits /mono for other topwater.I have really liked how the flourocarbon works under water.Because of  how it sinks I keep a more direct line to the bait ,better feel for bites.It has better hook setting capacity as well. Grin

IP Logged

Joel_Booth
Forum Member

Silver?........ I hate
Silver!!

Reply #16 - 01/18/08 at 03:33:54
Quote Print Post  
I'm still planning to switch most of my reels to gamma this year, but I was also wondering what some of you guys were using braid for.  I was thinking of putting it on one of my flipping rods, and maybe my deepwater jig rod.  I was also contemplating putting in on a spinning reel for skipping docks.  I was just wondering what everyones experience has been with it. Was also wondering what brands and line size everyone prefers?
Thanks

IP Logged

Y2SAYS
Forum Administrator
WBC Member
WBC Board Member

Reply #17 - 01/19/08 at 02:43:38
Quote Print Post  
I've been using powerpro on almost all my spinning reels now with either a mono or flouracarbon leader with double uni knot.  I like the braid for sensativity, no stretch, better casting, and no line twist.

"Do or do not, there is no try"

IP Logged

Rwfaz
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 01/28/08 at 18:09:16
Quote Print Post  
1. Gamma 8lb for general use like dropshotting, texas rigged grubs etc
2. Maxima Ultragreen 6lb for skipping
3. Berkley Gorilla Braid 50lb for hauling treestumps and lilypad fields around (flip 'n' pitch). The Gorilla braid is now 4 years old and has not yet faded to white, or broken off - each season I unspool it and respool it from the other end to even out the wear and fading (typical Brit cheapskate!!)

Faz

IP Logged

trucknmusic
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 01/28/08 at 19:18:06
Quote Print Post  
I came from the south so mine are probably a bit different. 

I use braid for most presentations - powerpro is the best.  I really like braid bc it casts the best and you get the best feel.  Up here I still use it for flipping, c-rigs, spinning rods 4 skipping/drop shot (with leader), frogs, senko (leader), and I still have it on my crankbait rod - I know this sounds unusual but I have a rod w/ a lot of give and I have a lot more cofidence about throwing expensive cranks in the heaviest cover using braid.   

For topwaters and jerkbaits - mccoys mean green.
For dropshot - I use braid w/ a fluro leader 8# P-Line or BPS (I don't like to spool whole spinning reels w/ fluro or mono bc of birds nest probs).   

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 01/28/08 at 23:50:54
Quote Print Post  
Joel,

Power Pro braid is great for skipping docks. I had some bad luck flipping with it a couple of years ago during a tournament that I should have won but lost all my fish with the braid due to slippage on hook sets, and fish wrapping the braid around tree trunks after I had set the hook. Went back to fluorocarbon for the flipping rods.

Russ

IP Logged

Troy
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 01/29/08 at 04:27:37
Quote Print Post  
i agree with russ on floro.  a very wise man cough maderos informed me that the same principle that makes braid so good in weeds/pads makes it terrible for bushes or wood.  actually russ the story he told me along with his advice may have involved yourself and those very same fish  Wink

troy

IP Logged

Chad S.
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 01/29/08 at 14:36:42
Quote Print Post  
Last year at a silver lake tournament I was flipping Tough line with a flouracarbon leader. I had everything go wrong that day from my uni knot slipping out, to breaking my knot at the hook. It was very frustrating, but it was my only bad experience with this setup!

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 01/29/08 at 17:07:57
Quote Print Post  
Braid locks up or digs in wood and slips in grass. Thats why mono and flourocarbon shine in wood because it slips and does not dig in when a fish wraps itself around a tree or branches.

Maderos' wise Caugh,caugh Roll Eyes

Russ

IP Logged

Daryl
Forum Member

Reply #24 - 01/29/08 at 21:05:15
Quote Print Post  
Chad

You can't tie a flo or Mono leader to braid when flipping and expect the knots to hold. The braid has no stretch and your knots are taking the force from the hook set. When using stiff rods and fishing short distances the impact from the hook set is to much.

I have fished that setup when fishing with a spinning rod with football heads, drop shot, and carolina rig etc. But I was fishing longer distances and deeper. The rod and line obsorbs more of the impact from the hook set and does not put so much pressure on the knots. But check your knots after you get hung up.

Daryl

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo