Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) new boat motors (Read 2859 times)
bassin9
WBC Member

I Love WBC!

new boat motors
11/20/07 at 01:04:41
Quote Print Post  
Looking for some help. The wife and I went down to Cabela's this weekend and have decided to trade my glastron in on a new stratos fish and ski. They have told me i need to decide on a motor 150 hp. They said if I get a twostroke I will get a little more speed out of the boat but will have to mix my fuel. Don't have a problem with that but they also said I would prefer a fourstroke instead of a twostroke. My options are a Mercury, Yamaha, or an Evinrude. I currently have a 90hp force on my boat and have had no problems with it but would like some info on the others. Can anyone help with some info?

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Re: new boat motors
Reply #1 - 11/20/07 at 01:13:03
Quote Print Post  
bassin,

I myself would stay with the two stroke not only for speed but less maintenance issues. I have heard from several legitimate sources that the 4-strokes have had several issues and are more expensive to maintain.

Smitty might be able to answer this one better than me.

Russ

IP Logged

Xsftballer
Forum Member

St. Croix Rods Pro Staff,
Anglers Marine Pro Staff

Reply #2 - 11/20/07 at 02:14:47
Quote Print Post  
Bassin

I would agree with Russell the Love Muscle on this one. My personal feelings are that all three manufactures make good motors.

As far as mixing oil, this is not the 70's. If you have to physically mix your oil and gas before pouring it in the gas tank, buy a different boat. That is what oil reservoirs are there for. My last 150 Hp motor barely used any oil. The 250 that I have now drinks it!

Hope that helps.

Mike

Misunderstood

IP Logged

The Weedwalker
WBC Member

Here fishy, fishy..........

Reply #3 - 11/20/07 at 03:12:29
Quote Print Post  
Bassin, I have a 150 yamaha and not only does it get up and go, it's quiet for being a outboard. As far as mixing oil, you gotta be kidding me, yamaha has oil injection and anyone telling you that you have to mix it is a few cards short of a deck...... Roll Eyes

Brian Walker (The Weedwalker)

IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

USMC Ret.  "Full Livewells,
I'll drink to that!"

Reply #4 - 11/20/07 at 03:35:04
Quote Print Post  
ShockedTWO STROKE! TWO STROKE!! TWO STROKE!!! Shocked

I have no idea who you are talking with at Cabela's but they are obviously not very knowledgeable in modern engine technology.

Go for the 2-stroke for these reasons:
1.  As Mike said, no need to mix the oil & fuel.
2.  Russ also noted the maintenance issues. Here's just one.  You have to change oil, just like your car.  Only problem is you can't go to Jiffy Lube for $18.00.  It takes a minimum 1 hour shop time ($75.00 and up per hour) in any shop around plus the oil etc.  Two strokes require just adding a good oil to the reservoir and then the engine mixes it for you at the correct ratio depending upon the engine speed and load.
3.  A much better power to weight ratio at any horsepower on a boat your size.
4.  The technology of today's 2-stroke engines, regardless of the manufacturer is light-years ahead of a comparable 4-stroke engines.
5.  Better mid-range and hole shot punch.
6.  Easier to prop correctly for performance
7.  Starting at Christmas all manufacturers will offer great incentives for their respective engines.
8.  Wait until the boat shows start after the 1st of the year for some of the best deals anywhere.

Pick the engine you want, they all have good and bad points.

Yamaha HPDI= Usually the least expensive and a good dealer network for service.  Not quite as easy to prop as a Merc, but it can be done, and adapting a Merc prop is easy.  A little sensitive to the fuel that is used in them, but nothing that one can't easily allow for.  5 year warranty available during the show season.

Mercury Optimax=  The most popular engine in the US with a large dealer network.  Depending upon where it is purchased it can run a little less or a little more than a Yammie.  Not as quiet as some of the others but very very dependable in your horsepower range.  A good engine that produces some good low-end torque and is, did I say dependable.  5 year warranty available during the show season.  In my opinion, the best looking engine of the three.

Evinrude HO= My choice for my personal use, but then I'm sponsored by them also. Smiley  Evinrude manufactured by Bombardier, makes engines that require no maintenance for three years and have a 7 year warranty.  Without a doubt, they offer the best customer service in the industry.  They are more expensive than the other engines but their performance is unquestionably the best of the three major manufacturers, particularly in the 150 hp range.  Each and every "Rude" 150 HO is guaranteed to put out 165 hp at the shaft.  No other engine of the "big three" can claim that  in that horsepower range.  Not as easy to prop as Mercury engines but it can be done.

My advise is to wait until the show season before purchasing your new Stratos.  Get the one you want, not necessarily the one on the showroom floor.  Spend a little more time researching the boat.  Talk to Ron Hankinson.  He purchased a new Stratos Fisn 'N' Ski last year and is very pleased with it.
Give me a call or IM me with your phone #, and I'll be happy to talk to you about Stratos Boats since I'm all so on their Pro-Staff and sponsored by them. Cool  

Smitty Wink
« Last Edit: 11/20/07 at 14:39:35 by DUNE HOPPER »  

Retired From Everything but Feeshin and doing April's bidding

IP Logged

jwerner
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 11/20/07 at 03:41:02
Quote Print Post  
I have a 150 Merc. Opti and have been very happy with it.

IP Logged

bassin9
WBC Member

I Love WBC!

Reply #6 - 11/21/07 at 01:31:59
Quote Print Post  
Hey Smitty, are you saying I should wait til they have the sportsman's show in puyallupin january to by the boat?

IP Logged

Stu
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 11/21/07 at 03:02:44
Quote Print Post  
Hi, bassin9.

You can get some great deals at the Puyallup show - and you get to look at lots of boats at once.

Stu

IP Logged

Troy
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 11/21/07 at 03:04:34
Quote Print Post  
bassin 9, usually when a dealer has a display at your local outdoors show ( like the one at the puyallup fair) they offer up an extended warranty as a show deal.  like smitty said this is usaully 5 years (up from 3 i think).  sounds like smitty is the man you want to talk to, i've noticed he is very wise when i comes to boat/outboard issues.

troy

IP Logged

topjimmy
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 11/21/07 at 06:16:29
Quote Print Post  
A very good peace of info there Smitty Grin. I purchased my optimax in late November and received a 5yr  extended warranty.Thats money in your pocket!!! If you choose Mercury have them install Smart Craft in your console.If you have Lawrance they can conect to the motor as well

IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

USMC Ret.  "Full Livewells,
I'll drink to that!"

Reply #10 - 11/21/07 at 06:38:49
Quote Print Post  
You may not have to wait till the Puyallup show, but you should wait just a little bit because the incentives have no been announced by all the engine manufacturers yet.
Call me on my cell after Thursday (253/569-2310) and I can explain in more detail.
Just a little bit of patience and curbed enthusiasm will save you quite a bit of cash and give you a better sense of satisfaction in the long run. 
Don't make a mistake of buying because you want to get that pretty new rig in your driveway.  Rather wait and get the one you really want & need, to come to you.  Too many folks make a mistake of compromising on such a large purchase and end up wishing they had done something "just a little bit different" later on.  That regret will always gnaw at you, and in the long run likely cost you more.

Smitty Wink

Retired From Everything but Feeshin and doing April's bidding

IP Logged

bassin9
WBC Member

I Love WBC!

Reply #11 - 11/21/07 at 21:33:04
Quote Print Post  
Thanks Smitty, I will for sure give you a call and I am not in no hurry to buy a boat. I have been doing some research in bass boat for several months but was undecided on what I wanted. But know that I have picked the boat I want I need to decide on the boat motor.
And by the way, what is a smart craft?

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 11/21/07 at 21:50:19
Quote Print Post  
Bassin,

The smartcraft is all the additional guages that come with the Mercury Optimax system to monitor oil consumption, fuel used per hour, etc.

Its a pretty neat system when all tied together. The guages are an extra cost I believe but well worth it.

Ruman has it on his Viper.

Russ

IP Logged

Nick-Barr
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 11/22/07 at 06:35:43
Quote Print Post  
I have a 150 Optimax and love it. It is dependable and has a good warranty. The New E-Tecs are Nice too. I have not heard too much about the HPDI's but they are good, Too. Find the best deal you can get on one and be happy. I looked at Cabelas and their boat pricing is OK. You can certainly find a better deal at another dealer during the shows.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo