Normal Topic Please don't tell me you lost the Rainier Trophy (Read 1956 times)
ramrod
Ex Member

Please don't tell me you lost the Rainier Trophy
11/19/07 at 14:46:08
Quote Print Post  
I hope you guys can find your trophy.
I have a much simpler question for you this time.
What year was the Worlds very first Bass Tournament held ?
You guys better get this one right, even Mr. Streater knows the answer to this one.

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Re: Please don't tell me you lost the Rainier Trop
Reply #1 - 11/19/07 at 18:22:03
Quote Print Post  
I have been with the club since 1994, served ten years on the board, and this is the FIRST time that I have even heard of the Rainer Trophy.

I have a question for you?  When was the last time you attended a WBC function? Tournament, picnic, fish-in, sprotsman show booth, sold raffle tickets for club funds, sat on the scholorship committee or attended an awards ceremony, or the memorial for a lost WBC member? 

Sorry to rant, I just don't appreciate the tone of your post(s) at all.

IP Logged

ramrod
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 11/19/07 at 19:41:44
Quote Print Post  
I very sorry that you don’t like the tone of my post, but, believe it or not, I am on your side. I am not a member of your club, however I am a Northwest Fishing Historian and I’m very impressed with your clubs title as being “The Worlds Oldest Bass Club” (1938) with the additional title of it’s holding the “Worlds First Bass Tournament” that same year. I would like to get some pictures of the “Rainier Trophy” if it still around for my web site.  If your not aware of your clubs achievements, then you can read about it on your web site.
http://www.westernbassclub.com/Bassmaster.html
Did you know that there is a Bass Tournament held down in Texas that calls itself the “Worlds Oldest Bass Tournament” It’s named the “Texas State Bass Tournament” which started in 1955.
http://www.texasstatebass.com/
They even have their own State Park and Wildlife Department’s Magazine buying into this.
http://tpwmagazine.com/archive/2005/dec/ed_1/
These Texan’s are claiming to be first at something that your club did 17 years earlier and I would like to see this honor be credited to the people that really deserve it, you guys.
No I’m not a member, no I’m not really even crazy about Bass Fishing, but I don’t like to see these sod busters taking credit for an idea that originated in Washington state.
I would like to think that any member of your club would even feel more strongly about this gross injustice than I do.
Sincerely
Don
Pacific Northwest Fishing Golden Years
http://www.pnfgy.com

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 11/19/07 at 20:04:40
Quote Print Post  
Ram,

Now we can't have those Texans saying they were the first. I myself am from that great state, but facts are facts. I believe I will visit that site and let them know that they need to get their facts straight.

Russ

IP Logged

ramrod
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 11/19/07 at 20:26:15
Quote Print Post  
Thank you Russ, I'm glad that some of you guys care.
"You need to know where you've been before you can know where your going"
I emailed this Sam Scroggins (tournament director) dude and guess what, he has not replied over the last 5 days.
Good luck, maybe a good ol'Texas Flood (of emails) is in order here.

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 11/19/07 at 20:30:37
Quote Print Post  
Ram,

Just PM Sam and posted a factoid on their forum for general topics on who was first.

Looks like no one uses their site much. Last post shown was 4/06

Russ

IP Logged

ramrod
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 11/20/07 at 01:08:59
Quote Print Post  
I noticed that their forum was not very active too, so I went for the email message instead.
To save your members the trouble looking up this information, here it is.
Sam Scroggins (tournament director)
Email  TournamentDirector@TexasStateBass.com
Phone  903 763 2191

IP Logged

ramrod
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 11/22/07 at 17:35:30
Quote Print Post  
I went into the Texas State Bass Tournament's Forum and reinforced your message Russ with some links to your club pages. There sure are not very many post in their forum, so who knows if anyone will read our messages. I still think that sending emails directly to Sam Scroggins
TournamentDirector@TexasStateBass.com is still the best bet.

Anyone interested in contacting Sam with the facts on the "Real" Worlds oldest Bass Tournament should do so.

Sam Scroggins
Tournament Director
It all began in 1955 when founder Earl Golding was a young outdoors writer for the Waco Tribune-Herald. Lake Whitney was newly impounded and for months Earl had listened to boasting and arguments around central Texas about who was catching the most fish from this new lake. Earl decided that there was only one way to settle the unsubstantiated claims, so he suggested a fishing competition to his Editor. The Editor agreed and Earl invited 75 teams from across the state to take part in the one-day competition at Lake Whitney to name the best fisherman. A month later, 73 teams showed up for the event and a new competitive sport, “tournament bass fishing”, was born. In the weeks to follow, Earl received numerous letters and phone calls from fishermen across the state that had heard about the competition and wanted to be invited the next year. Seeing that something much bigger was on the horizon, Earl opened up the competition and organized what is now recognized as the forerunner to every bass tournament in the world: The Texas State Bass Tournament.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo