Normal Topic OK/AR Trip (Read 2312 times)
Nick-Barr
Ex Member

OK/AR Trip
08/21/07 at 14:40:37
Quote Print Post  

HI Guys,
After getting back from my trip this past 3 days to Tulsa, OK and The Legend Factory in Midway, AR I have to give a report.

We flew into Tulsa on Friday and had a reception at the OK Aquarium for the KIDS ALL AMERICAN FISHING AmbassadorS/Scholarship winners. There we got a tour and met our pro partners for the next days CHALLENGE at the puddle they call the ZEBCO CASTING POND (Its a small, small, little pond, could cast across it with real gear, loaded with catfish and bluegill). I was teamed up with FLW PRO Mark Phillips Sponsored by Castrol and PTSI. The other Pro's that were there were, Tommy Biffle, Randy Blaukat, Karyn Sanchez, Sheri Glasgow and Todd Hucklbee. The next morning they set us up for the challenge, I had my rods ready and then they did something that was my nightmare from the beginning, WE HAD TO FISH WITH ZEBCO 33 Push Button Combos and worm and bobber for everything, I finished 2nd in the fishing challenge and then tied for first in the golf casting challenge, then 5 points behind Tommy Biffles team, I scored more than double all the other teams on the casting accuracy using my pitching technique, which i tweaked a bit for the push button poles. I ended up with 620 points for the accuracy challenge. Tommy Biffle and his partner had to get 615 to tie, I was dripping bullets knowing that Tommy Biffle is the master at casting accuracy. They were only able to rack up 570 points declaring myself the winner. It was AWESOME, I was calm and collected walking up to the casting accuracy challenge, but inside I was sweating and new I had to really put on a clinic to be able to beat one of the best casting/pitching pro's out there. I had a couple 100 point shots and a bunch of 50's then I almost had another 100 and started to loose my focus and my last 2 casts were outside the points.  It was great getting to meet all the pros and everybody who made this scholarship/ambassador program possible. I really enjoyed the event.

After the event we dedicated ourselves (My mom and I) to a 4 hour drive through heartland America to the LEGEND FACTORY, When we finally got there, Daryl Janzen, the Warranty Manager was kind enough to greet us and give me and my mom a tour.

I WAS AMAZED AT THE FACTORY. I have seen pictures and been told many things, and well they were all true and more. It was great getting to see all the boats in progress and how everything is hand crafted and such. I would like to thank Daryl and Dean for setting the tour up for me. For the size of the factory, it is probably 3 basketball courts put together. And for the front office, its included in the factory and about 3/4 the size of a single wide trailer. When I say that the customer service is great and you can call up the factory and with a yell, they have the person you want to talk to on the phone, I mean it. That night we stayed in a Cabin that Legend booked for us and I fished a little off the dock at Bull shoals for a bit, couldnt catch nothing but some monster bluegill. Did see a pack of 1 lb. largemouth swiming, but they were not interested. Also saw a smaller alligator gar, they are as spooky as Carp are. Then we drove 4 hours back to Tulsa and flew back home.

The weekend was great and I got to meet a lot of people and had a lot of fun. I cant wait to come back for a longer stay. IF you are ever in Northern Arkansas, I suggest you go and visit the factory and if your in Tulsa, stop by the OK Aquarium and tackle musuem.

One last thing, we stopped by FLIPPIN, Arkansas, since its on your way and about 10 miles from the Legend Factory. Flippin ARK is where Ranger s are made and drove past the factory a couple times, all I can say is that the place is huge, They also had all the FLW TV DAY Sponsor wrapped boats out in the parking lot so that was cool to see, it was kinda bad though that I was never there when the Forest L Wood Musuem was open, it looked like it held some bass fishing history. The best thing is that there was flippin high school, the flippin police, the flippin etc. It is probably the only thing my buddies back at High school will think was interesting about the trip. GREAT FOOD TOO!!!!!

-Nick

IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

USMC Ret.  "Full Livewells,
I'll drink to that!"

Re: OK/AR Trip
Reply #1 - 08/21/07 at 17:11:31
Quote Print Post  
Bull Shoals is where I grew up Nick.  I'm glad you had a good time in my "home town".

Smitty Wink

Retired From Everything but Feeshin and doing April's bidding

IP Logged

Nick-Barr
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 08/22/07 at 01:26:08
Quote Print Post  
Yeah, I had great time, it was great getting to see all those small towns, it would be nice to live there someday. The whole region in quite beautiful. At night, it was amazing how many locust's there are and they chirp and it fills the air. It was a great trip.

-Nick

IP Logged

Larry S.
Board Moderator

Reply #3 - 08/22/07 at 01:57:10
Quote Print Post  
Great to hear Nick, also very envious that you are doing what all of us wanted to do as kids when we were your age  Cheesy
Keep up the good work!! Cool

IP Logged

Nick-Barr
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 08/22/07 at 16:57:50
Quote Print Post  
Oh yeah, to mention another thing, I drove past Rick Clunn on a little 2 lane road in Arkansas as he was driving to Lake Darnadelle. I wish I noticed who it was before he he past by and I saw the Nitro Z-9 Baby blue Eagle Wrap.

-Nick

IP Logged

Wabasmstr
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 08/23/07 at 02:34:06
Quote Print Post  
Nick, you've got to be one of the luckiest young men I know.  Wow, all of the travel, meeting and competing, see the BIG Guns in person.  Enjoy it now and hopefully it will all pay off for you in the future.  Good Luck and glad to see you did well.  Oh, by the way....I SMELL A WINNING TICKET FOR A NEW RANGER BOAT....You don't need it anyway  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Wink

Later,

Chuck P

IP Logged

Nick-Barr
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 08/23/07 at 16:28:34
Quote Print Post  
Thank You Chuck, It truly was an AWESOME TRIP. I hope you or Larry get that winning ticket, too bad I wont be there to see you guys Win it!!!!! GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

IP Logged

Stu
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 08/29/07 at 03:48:15
Quote Print Post  
Here is a link to an article in FishingWorld.com on Nick's win in the competition:

http://www.fishingworld.com/News/Read.php?ArtID=000020828

Nice job, Nick.

Stu

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo