Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Pouring your own weights... (Read 3097 times)
The_Rev.
Ex Member

Pouring your own weights...
06/26/07 at 16:01:15
Quote Print Post  
I've been pouring my own plastics for some time now, but now I want to pour my own lead weights and jigs.  I've just purchased a Lee Production Pot and my first mold (for pouring 1 oz football head jigs - a Ron Hobbs special).  Does anyone else in the club pour their own lead?  I wouldn't mind picking your brains about the best way to do this.  Also some suggestions and sources for getting lead.  

IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

USMC Ret.  "Full Livewells,
I'll drink to that!"

Re: Pouring your own weights...
Reply #1 - 06/26/07 at 16:19:47
Quote Print Post  
Owner makes some great jig hooks just for this purpose Chuck.

Smitty Wink

Retired From Everything but Feeshin and doing April's bidding

IP Logged

WCCT
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/27/07 at 01:19:35
Quote Print Post  
Chuck, I pour my own weights.  I pour dropshot weights, ball head jig heads, and spinnerbait heads when I am not too lazy to paint them up. Roll Eyes  I get my lead from various sources, such as Les Schwab, but have found it to be less of a hassle to get it from Bass Pro, or better yet, Ebay.  There is always a guy on there selling lead, and from what I have purchased, it is very clean.  If you pour plastics, then you will not have any problems pouring lead.  It is way easier.  I would suggest that you wear a ventilation mask when you pour if you don't already.  Good luck!

IP Logged

The_Rev.
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/27/07 at 01:53:17
Quote Print Post  
WCCT - Did you buy your molds, or make your own?  (Do-it, or Hilt?)  Satisfied with them?

IP Logged

Troy
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 06/27/07 at 02:30:19
Quote Print Post  
I'd be interested to see how much money you save per jighead.  i love making my own worms, and each time you loose a gami jighead its pretty much $1. 

troy

IP Logged

Wabasmstr
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/27/07 at 02:31:59
Quote Print Post  
Chuck,  as suggested, Tire Stores are a great place for picking up lead.  A friend of mine pours his own and that is where he gets 99% of his lead.  Also, do wear a mask because the lead fumes can be very very harmful.

My lead cents worth,

Chuck P

IP Logged

WCCT
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 06/27/07 at 13:05:52
Quote Print Post  
You can make a shaky-head jig for about 30-35 cents a piece.  I am just using this as an example because of the shaky head craze and the price of a bag of these jigheads.  The mold is made by Do-It and costs about  37 bucks.  A 100 pack of Gamakatsu hooks for these are about 28 bucks.  So if you don't count the price of the mold, you can make them quite a bit cheaper.  These are also one of the more expensive hook models too, so other jigs will be even cheaper.

IP Logged

BassAholic
Forum Member

Fords don't float !

Reply #7 - 06/27/07 at 15:57:50
Quote Print Post  
I have a bunch of lead core that was given to me by a salmon fisherman. You can have it if you want.

Fish like you are retired!&&Work like your on vacation!&&
IP Logged

The_Rev.
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 06/27/07 at 16:54:38
Quote Print Post  
I have a ventilation system that I use for my plastics that will serve me well with the lead too.

Personally, I'm not so much into saving money, as just the extra enjoyment of catching fish on something you made yourself.

Bassaholic  - As to the leadcore - thanks, I'll gladly take it!

IP Logged

Brian
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 06/27/07 at 17:31:55
Quote Print Post  
Be wary of the tire weights, as they are not a real clean source of lead, but they do work. Seemes that the best lead that we have found is the sheet lead that some of the framers use in the hospital rooms around the XRAY machines. It is good stuff, as there are not a lot of contaminates in it. Just be sure that you have a spoon handy to skim of the junk that floats to the top of the pot, as thathere will be a lot when using tire weights. Anyone with kids, be sure to keep them away from the lead, as it will affect them the most. Our club has been having a "Lure Making Party" every year since I can remember, and we will meet at someones house, share the molds (plastic and lead), and have a potluck. It is a great club function.

IP Logged

Rwfaz
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 06/28/07 at 07:09:35
Quote Print Post  
If there's any to be found - old printers lead type is not bad either!!

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #11 - 07/03/07 at 04:56:22
Quote Print Post  
Dave Altier over at Coulee Playland has been pouring his own for years. You can buy them in the store there.

Give him a hollar at the store.  He'll hook you up.

btw - Dave is a former WBC president, and lifelong member.

IP Logged

Nick_Barr
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 07/04/07 at 00:02:42
Quote Print Post  
Ask your dentist. I am starting to pour my own and I just got a couple of pounds of CLEAN Lead from my dentist. It is stockpiles of the lead foil from x-ray film.

IP Logged

The_Rev.
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 07/05/07 at 03:29:57
Quote Print Post  
My melting pot and 1 oz. mold came yesterday - and I made my first jig heads!  Cool.  I have the wrong size hooks right now, but the 90 degree 4/0 Gamagatsu's have been ordered. 

One question:  my experience suggests that I do a pour or two without hooks to heat up the mold before I start make a run with hooks - is that right?  The lead cooled before it filled the cavity the first time through, but the there was no problem after the mold heated up - is that typical?  Or do you preheat your mold some other way?

Can't wait to make the first cast...

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo