Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Re: What trolling motor and Sonar ? (Read 2544 times)
DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

USMC Ret.  "Full Livewells,
I'll drink to that!"

Re: What trolling motor and Sonar ?
05/07/07 at 20:58:26
Quote Print Post  
After using both brands of trolling motors in the last few years, I have settled on Minnkota as the most quiet, powerful, dependable, weed-free, and efficient 24 volt trolling mtr. on the market.  If you are considering a 12 volt, I would have to assume that a Minnkotas would fill your requirement.  As for Lowrance, even with the advent of some new technology from Hummingbird, with only one to put in the dash of a boat, I would choose a Lowrance.

Smitty Wink

Retired From Everything but Feeshin and doing April's bidding

IP Logged

Larry S.
Board Moderator

Reply #1 - 05/08/07 at 03:10:41
Quote Print Post  
I would go with whatever had the length shaft you will require as you will need a long one! and with that you might consider a 24 volt as you Bayliner is much more of a sail in the wind and will draw down a single battery in no time.

IP Logged

topjimmy
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 05/08/07 at 21:57:02
Quote Print Post  
If you are going to spend more time fishing I would one up to 24v. A 52"shaft would work better on that bow Grin

IP Logged

Troy
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/08/07 at 23:36:33
Quote Print Post  
check ebay they have some pretty good deals.  just watch out for shipping it can be alot on TM's

troy

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/09/07 at 04:50:21
Quote Print Post  
Go with the one you can afford.
Russ

IP Logged

The_Rev.
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/12/07 at 05:03:13
Quote Print Post  
I just did the home work and purchased Minnkota.  I had a Motor Guide and was very disappointed with the model I had. (Newer models may be better - but I didn't want to get burned again.)  But I don't think you will be happy with just 55 lbs ona 19 footer!  Any strong wind will frustrate you!  I only have a 17 foot Lund but I went with 70 lbs - 24 volt.  Battery usage is almost nill compared to my old 2 battery 12volt sytem.  Now I'm happier, but I would have even gone higher except for a little thing called money. My advice is the same as Russ' - buy as large as you can afford!  

IP Logged

bassboattech
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 05/23/07 at 03:10:15
Quote Print Post  
id stay away form the electric steer models, since ive worked on both brands they have gotten better but id stick with manual steer. as for thrust id go with the most you could get away with and deal with putting more batterys in (better to have to much than not enough)

IP Logged

Justin
Forum Member

"I caught you a delicious
bass'

Reply #7 - 05/25/07 at 05:13:19
Quote Print Post  
Who all has had trouble with the electric steer?  What brand was it?

IP Logged

The_Rev.
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 05/30/07 at 04:20:28
Quote Print Post  
The electric steer was designed for walleye fishermen who don't have to make hard fast turns to avoid a sudden stump or rock in the shallows like bass fisherman often encounter.  Besides, electrics and water don't make great marriages to begin with.  It's just something else to break down and go wrong.  With a cable steer the only thing that can go wrong is to snap a cable - a cheaper fix than replacing new motherboards in complicated electronic trolling motors.  Down south you will be amazed at how many fishermen simplify even more by eliminating the foot control completely.  They use the handle style.  Why?  Less to break down!  Not everyone agrees with the "simplify" philosophy - but it's something to think about.  I'll never buy an electronic drive again after all the problems I had with my previous Motor Guide.  I'm back to basics.  But I realize that other bass fishermen have used electronic steering and enjoy it - having no trouble at all.  Best bet - go try them first.  Find buddies with both types and experiment with both.  Then you'll have some true experience to use.

If you do go with electronic steering - remember there are two kinds of pedals, 1) flat, or 2) the pivot style.  With the flat pedal you don't know which way the trolling motor is pointing unless you look at the arrow on the top.  The pivot style imitates the cable style of control - and I like it because I don't have to take my eyes off my fishing line (I just place my foot on the pedal and the angle tells me which direction it is pointing.  I don't even think about it - it just comes naturally now.  Can't do that with a flat pedal.  There is no right or wrong, but personal preference.  Again, if you do go electric drive - try it out first.  It's not a cheap toy - so do it right the first time - no regrets!

IP Logged

BassAholic
Forum Member

Fords don't float !

Reply #9 - 05/30/07 at 19:56:39
Quote Print Post  
Amen to what the Rev said about electric steer. Grin
I had a minkotoa power drive it was a nightmare 3 pedals went bad in 2yrs. The steering is way to slow. The noise that the servos make when you turn tends to spook fish. The pedal is hard to use because you must twist your ankle in weird position to turn. I know some other guys love them but I always wonder how much do they fish I am on the water 2 or more times a week so my equipment gets a work out.
I now have a minkota with cable steering & love it.

Fish like you are retired!&&Work like your on vacation!&&
IP Logged

The_Rev.
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 06/03/07 at 00:32:59
Quote Print Post  
It's as simple as it sounds.  A strong wire cable runs from the foot pedal through a stiff black casing to the shaft of the trolling motor.  When you push the toe (front) of the pedal down, it pulls the cable back turning the motor to the left, and when the heal (back) of the foot pedal is pushed down, the cable turns the motor shaft to the right.  It's not electrical - it's mechanical.  It's very similar to the brake cables on a bike.  The casing therefore has to be heavier and stiffer of course and is of a fixed length.  (Unlike an electrical motor that uses a soft electrical cord of any length, which can be extended to any place in the boat.) However, if you ever changed the wire cable on your bike as a kid, you realize how easy it is to replace.  On the other hand, electronic components, (motors and circuit boards), are not as cheap or as easily repaired by the average boat owner.  Does that help?

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo