Normal Topic Sonar/GPS help...which one? (Read 1946 times)
Y2SAYS
Forum Administrator
WBC Member
WBC Board Member

Sonar/GPS help...which one?
04/30/07 at 15:02:00
Quote Print Post  
Im in the mood of getting a GPS/Sonar for my boat, but which one should I get? I'm looking at spending arond $500-700 for colored one. I'm used to using Lowrance/Eagle products, but open to looking at other brands. I'm not very literate when it comes to electronics, so ones that are the easiest to use would be great. Do you guys prefer internal or external antenna? What about the transducer?

"Do or do not, there is no try"

IP Logged

Chris B.
WBC Member

Re: Sonar/GPS help...which one?
Reply #1 - 04/30/07 at 15:25:44
Quote Print Post  
Says, is this unit going on the Bow or at the Console??
Someone else will know better, but External antenna will always be better.  If your unit is in dash mounted, do not get internal.  If its mounted on the side of the console, internal will work but external is not going to lose its reading near as much.  I have an external and have never lost reading.  If it was me, I would go Lowrance. 
As for a transducer, you can run a thru hull with an additional temp sender mounted to say your jackplate, or you can run an all in one mounted to the transom.  I don't like the idea drilling into your transom.  If its for the bow, go with a TM mounted transducer with built in temp.

Wishful Sponsors: BassCat Boats, Mercury Marine, Tackle Warehouse, Chevy Trucks, Chevron Gas, G-Loomis Rods, Shimano Reels.
IP Logged

Y2SAYS
Forum Administrator
WBC Member
WBC Board Member

Reply #2 - 04/30/07 at 17:07:37
Quote Print Post  
It'll be on the console and it won't be dash mounted.  I was thinking of the external base on what I have been reading about losing signal on the internal ones.

IP Logged

Chris B.
WBC Member

Reply #3 - 04/30/07 at 18:47:09
Quote Print Post  
Thats the safe way to go my friend.

Wishful Sponsors: BassCat Boats, Mercury Marine, Tackle Warehouse, Chevy Trucks, Chevron Gas, G-Loomis Rods, Shimano Reels.
IP Logged

Nick_Barr
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/30/07 at 23:38:26
Quote Print Post  
Any Lowrance Unit, They are SO MUCH CLEARER than any other brand I have come across, and yes , the external GPS has no problem, have had heard about what chris was saying with the internal losing signal.

Outdoor Emporium just finished up on their new LOWRANCE DISPLAY and have some sales going on, I believe they may have a couple of the LMS 332 or 334 on sale, I may be wrong, But they have all the new units too, all wired and everything is on and is compared from smallest to biggest next to each other, it is a really cool display.

-Nick

IP Logged

bassboattech
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/01/07 at 02:02:28
Quote Print Post  
i have the 332c  s and i love em compared to monochrome, my vote is lowrance

IP Logged

Y2SAYS
Forum Administrator
WBC Member
WBC Board Member

Reply #6 - 05/01/07 at 02:15:37
Quote Print Post  
I was thinking about the Lowrance LMS-520C with External GPS.  What's the advantages/disadvantages between the thru hull and transom mounted transducer?

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 05/01/07 at 03:51:10
Quote Print Post  
Y2,

One is that if mounted on the transom you could knock it off by accident.

Russ

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo