Normal Topic BASS state Qualifier at Tri-Cities (Read 2129 times)
marktfd88
Ex Member

BASS state Qualifier at Tri-Cities
04/23/07 at 16:56:29
Quote Print Post  
Here's the scoop,
  Only 13 boats and 26 people for this event.  What a small turn-out for a great event. 
Saturday I drew a local from the area and he had fish up river.  Went up to the Ringold area and fished 3hrs for 3 fish.  Like Potholes the weather really changed for us from Fridays prefish to Saturdays tourney day.  Cold, wind, rain.  Ran down to the mouth of the Yak and got 4 fish there and then went up the Snake and got 3.  I was still only on 3 fish by 2 o'clock.  Yikes, went to the last spot of the day and got 2 more for a meager 8.79 bag and around 20th place.  Cry   Angry  My partner had 12.4 for his bag and finished in 7th.  Lessoned learned, make sure to fully figure out the plan of the day well before hand and fish to your strengths.
  Day two, I drew a local who just started bass fishing.  He said  " Just go to your spots and I will fish".  So we started up the Yakima by the bridge.  Caught a couple of rats just before the bridge and once under the bridge made about 10 casts and got 4 fish with 2 of them at 3.5 lbs.  Grin  Spent the next two hours fishing around the bridge and proceed to load the boat.  My partner used tubes to catch all of his and I used cranks and tubes.  Pulled a 14.23 lb bag and my partner got 11.5 lbs.  Ran around the rest of the day fishing the Snake and Columbia but couldn't cull up from the fish we had early in the morning.  It was nice to be culling 2 lb fish the rest of the day.
  I finished in 5th place on day 2.  Shocked
Danny Garrett's dad won day one with 19lbs from the Snake and Tony Lind was 2nd from the Yakima with a jet boat running way up the Yak.
Day 2 David Garrett with 2 little fish and finished way down.  The Snake was dead because there was no current running thru it.   Tony Lind won day 2 with 17.5 lbs again up the Yak.  David Kromm was constitent both days finishing in the top 5 both days.  Tony Lind had a 1st and 2nd place.  Gene Batey smoked them day one and fell on his ass on day 2, and 2 other locals had consistent days both days.
  Daryl had a good day one and a bad day two.  He can tell his story  Roll Eyes  My back seater, Jim Phillips, had a good day one and ok day two.
  It was a great tourney and a learned alot more of the river for next time.   New boat ran smoothly and was awesome to fish from.

Mark

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Re: BASS state Qualifier at Tri-Cities
Reply #1 - 04/23/07 at 17:52:29
Quote Print Post  
Nice post, Mark.  Good to hear that you had no issues with the new rig.  A 14lb+ sack is terrific fishing.  Interesting that Lind ran a sled up the Yakima.  Figured him to go up to Ringold as well.   No largemouth caught or were they off limits?

IP Logged

Daryl
Forum Member

Reply #2 - 04/23/07 at 18:30:37
Quote Print Post  
Kirk

There were a few largemouth. Big fish second day was a 5.80lbs largemouth. We could limit on largemouth, if you could find them. After May 1st it is one largemouth over 17".

I had a 10lbs bag the 1st day and a 7lbs bag the second day. Could not lock on to  good quality fish. Plus, we did not know when weigh in was the second day and pulled a Maderos and had a 4 minute penalty. I don't even know where I finished.

Hopefully, lake Sammamish will be good to me. I think there are only about 3-4 people who no how to fish Sammamish out of the 26 people.

Come on FLW.

Daryl

IP Logged

marktfd88
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04/23/07 at 18:46:23
Quote Print Post  
Yeah, a few largemouth were caught.  The reeds hadn't started growing up yet and the water was skinny.  I tried on the second day to look for a passage back into the south end of Burbank slough but to no avail.  The guy I fished with on Sunday, fished with the guy who caught the 5lb largie on Saturday, and he showed me on the map where they were at.  I didn't want to run up on that guy on Sunday, and crowd his water.  Since I could not find a passage back into Bubank, I didn't try for largemouth.  I really wanted to get a kicker fish, but having not ran into Burbank, didn't want to risk getting left high and dry in there.  As for Tony, he had the right game plan and it produced to 17.5 lb sacks for him both days.  The kid I fished with Saturday, showed me some stuff up north, but with 45 degree water, and a cold front moving thru, the fish were turned off up north and not many fished up that way.

Like Daryl, there are only a few guys in this who know Sammamish.  Tony Lind, David Garrett, and David Kromm come to mind.  The other 2 locals who did well down there, know very little about Sam and were asking us for info.  Yeah, right, like I'm going to give up that knowledge.  They sure weren't busting down our doors to tell us where to fish there.   Grin

Mark

IP Logged

Troy
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/23/07 at 22:54:05
Quote Print Post  
nice work fellas.  wonder how far the ole aluminum could make her up the yak  Grin

troy

IP Logged

Larry S.
Board Moderator

Reply #5 - 04/24/07 at 02:33:45
Quote Print Post  
Great job guys. Thats what I like about this club...great reports to learn from!!

p.s........I am working on a ful-proof Western Bass Club Watch that is rain-proof....livewell-proof and is embedded into the boats dash board!!! Grin Grin

IP Logged

Daryl
Forum Member

Reply #6 - 04/24/07 at 13:57:08
Quote Print Post  

EAT ME, Larry.

IP Logged

Wabasmstr
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 04/25/07 at 01:27:39
Quote Print Post  
Larry,  You better hurry up and get a patent on that watch.  Make sure it yells loud and clear:"Drop it, secure it and get the hell out of here and on to the weigh in"........................

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Chuck

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo