Normal Topic Pre-fishing Potholes Open (Read 1389 times)
gotfive
Ex Member

Pre-fishing Potholes Open
04/15/07 at 17:01:32
Quote Print Post  
Just a word for all of you planning on fishing the potholes open next week-end.  Fishing is flat out tough.  Conditions are very poor and I have not seen the Potholes water with that funny color.  We managed to find A fish for 10 hours of fishing on Saturday.  Prepare for a long, long couple of days, fellas.  At least it will be fun seeing everyone!  I cannot figure out what happened to the pond Undecided.  Seems others had good fishing last week-end, but the weather and wind must have had something to do with it.  Water temps in the dunes was a chilly, chilly 48.4 degrees.  The weather is not looking to good for the rest of this week either.  It was a cold 29 degrees here in Eburg just this morning with east winds around 25 mph.   Not supposed to warm until the following week.  Isn't that just typical.

IP Logged

Larry S.
Board Moderator

Re: Pre-fishing Potholes Open
Reply #1 - 04/15/07 at 17:10:12
Quote Print Post  
Hey Kirk...do you think them filling Moses and restricting water flow into the Holes could have done it? just wonderin Tongue
either way as you said....it will be great to see Ya'll! Cheesy

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/16/07 at 16:25:22
Quote Print Post  
Gotfive,

That sounds like it was quite tough. We are just going to have to just hunker down and figure out some sort of bite.

May I make a suggestion- If the weather changed ( Temps) Flip in the heaviest stuff you can find and you should find them. I find at the holes when the weather goes to pot those fish move deeper into the brush and heavy line and heavy jigs work the best.

Russ

IP Logged

sarge
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04/16/07 at 17:08:37
Quote Print Post  
Hmm. Sounds like tough fishing for a couple of old Potholes hands.  Tongue

I didn't fare much better.

Two 9 hours days on the 'Holes yielded two smallies the first day, and 3 largemouth/1 smallmouth the second. All the fish were in the 2-3.5 pound range, but no consistent pattern. The smallies seem to be deeper, which isn't really how I would like to fish for them if it can be helped. Dropshots, crankbaits, brushhogs... the usual baits for me. Get back in the dunes for largemouth and out on the main lake for smallies. There you go, a typical information-free Potholes Open prefishing report  Grin

Chris

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/16/07 at 20:13:19
Quote Print Post  
"Another information-free report from Potholes."  Gotta love it.  You forgot to mention the suffocating algae bloom that is coming off, and the nasty locusts,  Shocked too.  Man, I love tourney time.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo