Normal Topic silver Lake Problem? (Read 2381 times)
DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

USMC Ret.  "Full Livewells,
I'll drink to that!"

silver Lake Problem?
03/12/07 at 22:29:36
Quote Print Post  
I recieved this e-mail from a former member of the club.  Could there be an issue here? Huh

Gentlemen,
Not really sure who to send this to but after today I'm furious so I had to type an email and get this info out there.
Last weekend my partner and I fished Silver Lk in Castle Rock, WA in preparation for an upcoming bass tourny. We started in the "Horseshoe Canal" which is south of Streeter's Resort. Immediately upon entering it, we noticed that the homeowner on the mainland cut down ALL the trees and brush on the (state,federal,?)land across the canal from his house in order to better his view of Mt St Helens I'm guessing. The area cut down is approximately 50' wide. This looks to have been done a few months ago. There goes that habitat. No more bird nests in this area, no more shade for bass to ambush their prey in. This was also one of the best stretches for bass in the Horseshoe Canal.
What gives them the right???
I'm asking you to go and look at this blatant disregard for everything other than this individuals self centered ideals.
Today, my partner and I pre-fished again at Silver only in a few different places. One such place was the canal to the north of Streeter's Resort and I was appaulled to find where "4" homeowners had cut down all the trees and brush directly across the canal from their houses. Damn!!!
This land is OUR land, not THEIR land. What gives them the right to destroy it for their pleasure?
Again, I'm asking you to investigate this situation.
For a few years lately someone has "stocked" goats on the island in the middle of the Horseshoe Canal to control the brush. They are gone now. I'm very surprised this was allowed for all these YEARS. There were(still could be)goats on the brushy island immediately east of Waldon Island(the big island with houses on it)for years also destroying the vegetation. They were there last year. These people have no right to do this but have been able to get away with it for years. We have a bad enough time losing habitat from human encroachment without having them purposely destroy it for A VIEW!
We have not fished the area adjacent to Waldon Is this year so those goats could very well still be there. There are even huts built for them.
Like I stated earlier, I'm not sure whom to send this to but I'm really hoping you folks will pass this along to the proper authorities and follow up to make sure this atrocity does not go unpunished and certainly does not happen again.
If you have any questions or if you need a guide to show you the destruction, don't hesitate to call me.
Sincerely,
Mark Wells
253-841-0171

Retired From Everything but Feeshin and doing April's bidding

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Re: silver Lake Problem?
Reply #1 - 03/12/07 at 23:49:38
Quote Print Post  
There may be others more suited to respond, but as a permitting authority in my work life, I may have some connections to get a response.  That said, the determination of property rights is still alive and well in Washington State.  While the waterway itself is public, the property owner has a right at the shoreline to maintain if they own it, of course.  They cannot go into the water to retrieve brush or weeds, but I am pretty sure that they have some authority under state law to maintain this area of property.  I will, however, place a call this week to an acquaintance at Cowlitz County for a clarification.   Mark could pose the question on the WDFW website as well and probably get a quick response.

IP Logged

Wabasmstr
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/13/07 at 01:40:15
Quote Print Post  
I understand the email to say the trees and brush were cut across the canal from the home, not at the waterline at the homeowners property, but ACROSS.... am I reading the email wrong?  If it's across from the property and it's not their property, how can they touch it?  There are several cases in the past year or so where homeowners have been taken to court, fined, etc for removing trees, etc that were NOT on their property to improve their view....Seems like someone needs to be notified to go and take a good look at what's going on down there.   Maybe they are Lake Washington residents who have now moved down there and are taking over.....Good grief Charlie Brown, is there no end to this madness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CP

IP Logged

Doug_Booth
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/13/07 at 03:45:50
Quote Print Post  
I heard the lake area was hit hard by the wind storms that swept through a few months ago.  I don't know if this is a result of that but someone may have "made the best of the situation" for themselves.  I will check with some of my contacts down there to see if they can shed some light on this as well.

IP Logged

Doug_Booth
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/15/07 at 22:45:03
Quote Print Post  
Well I think I got to the bottom of this issue.  Contacted my sources down in Silver Lake and it appears this property has recently sold to a developer who is in the process of building a RV park.  So it appears that this is private land and the only access to the lake or waterfront is the canals which are manmade  (dug out) not creeks.  Not sure what impact this will have on the lake but from all the information I have gathered it looks legal.

IP Logged

Nick_Barr
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/16/07 at 00:20:12
Quote Print Post  
I wasnt sure where you guys were talking about, but when Carlos and I were down on Silver Lake, there was this whole area cleared out with RV Spots ll cleaned out and with poles in ready to be wired, water, etc.

-Nick

IP Logged

Larry S.
Board Moderator

Reply #6 - 03/18/07 at 17:39:41
Quote Print Post  
Just my thoughts...not that they mean squat! Wink
For those who have not been to Silver this year you will be in shock...as I was, at all the growth in the area....not mobiles on big lots but 2500 sf. tract homes going in on just about every vista area.....yes the Yuppies have found a place to grow!

IP Logged

REDCHAMP
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 03/20/07 at 05:45:45
Quote Print Post  
Thanx for posting my email Smitty.
Just to clarify: The trees and brush I'm speaking of IS across the waterways from these houses. 5 places total. This is not counting the developement for RV's that is going on. These trees and brush were cut with an axe, not blown down by the wind.
This was sent to every WDFW person(about 10)in my address book.
Just wanting to clarify.
Mark

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo