Normal Topic Life Jacket (Read 1079 times)
Hawkeye
Ex Member

Life Jacket
02/16/07 at 05:14:12
Quote Print Post  
Hey Guys,
I am looking at investing in a new life jacket. I want to go with one of the inflatable types. I don't know much about them. Any idea's on what I need to look for?  What about price, brand name, etc.

Thanks!!

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Re: Life Jacket
Reply #1 - 02/16/07 at 18:06:28
Quote Print Post  
Last year I bought this bad boy:

Mustang Model MD3081
http://www.starmarinedepot.com/Mustang+MD3081+PFD+Manual+Inflatables.html

You should be able to find a similar model for around $90. I love it. I bought the manual instead of the automatic inflatable because I like to go float tubing, and there is a good chance it would get submerged and go off unexpectedly. I also don't trust the automatics. Even though the company says they won't go off in a heavy rain, a lot of people I've talked to have said otherwise. The only time my life jacket is not going to be sufficient is if I got thrown out of a boat at high speed and was knocked unconscious. Then I wouldn't be able to pull the trigger.

This life jacket is really comfortable, and it hasn't bothered me yet while fishing. You can wear this one while fishing and throw on a regular one while running high speed. Look around at a lot of places for these jackets because I've noticed that prices can be really variable.

Chris

IP Logged

Chris B.
WBC Member

Reply #2 - 02/16/07 at 19:24:00
Quote Print Post  
I personally wear a regular life jacket.  Stearns brand, $20 max.  You can get them with your favorite boat logo on them most of the time, and sometimes they will come with a crotch strap so it won't fly off if you hit the water.  Mine will likely come off in a high speed accident.  I've hit the water while water skiing and It's turned the vest around backwards on me.  
Plus what I like about the regular vests is in the colder months, it brings your clothes tighter too your body and keeps ya warm.

Wishful Sponsors: BassCat Boats, Mercury Marine, Tackle Warehouse, Chevy Trucks, Chevron Gas, G-Loomis Rods, Shimano Reels.
IP Logged

Nick_Barr
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 02/17/07 at 00:09:06
Quote Print Post  
for $120 You can get a Automatic BLUESTORM PFD. The have a comfortable neoprene collar and are really nice, I believe Outdoor Emporium will have some in soon if they dont already have them.

-Nick

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo