Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) casting light lures with baitcast (Read 5920 times)
Thomas N.
Ex Member

casting light lures with baitcast
02/07/07 at 00:49:34
Quote Print Post  
what type of setup would be good for me ...rod, line, and reel.  If I wanted to cast light lures with a baitcasting outfit.  I like spinning but I think it would be fun if i could do it on baitcast.

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Re: casting light lures with baitcast
Reply #1 - 02/07/07 at 01:06:48
Quote Print Post  
I would buy a 6-1/2 rod medium action with a Pfleuger reel and tie 10-12 line on it. That should be good for throwing all the light stuff you want.
Russ

IP Logged

Nick
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 02/07/07 at 01:16:51
Quote Print Post  
Instead of a pflueger get a Shimano Citica. Their only $20 more than a pflueger trion and are a much better constructed reel. i had a pflueger trion and it went out in a year and half. They have horrible braking systems and they seem to strip easily. The Citica is the same construction as the Shimano Curando superfree. Which has been discontinued and turned into the new citica. With a hefty price reduction. That's what i'd get for a reel. For casting light baits with a baitcaster get a medium action 7' rod with good back bone and a soft tip. Push the tip against the ground at an angle like if you were fighting a fish. Feel were the backbone kicks in. If it kicks in around the 3rd guide it'll have a soft enough tip to roll cast easily, but be strong enough to do light pitching with small jigs. Shimano clarus would be a good starting point. This rod with a Citica would only run around $200. That's reasonable for what your looking for. Baitcasting reels is one place i don't encourage trying to go cheap. Go expensive and it'll pay off in the end. A good real makes it so much better to learn on. When you buy the reel ask them how to tighten a nd lossen the braking system. Start with the reel mildly tight and work your way looser. This woll help you how to cast a baitcaster more efficiently without the painful backlashes.

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 02/07/07 at 01:48:44
Quote Print Post  
Nick,

You must have not lubed that Trion. I have had mine for over 5 years and never had a problem with it.
Russ

IP Logged

Nick
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 02/07/07 at 01:56:41
Quote Print Post  
Took good care of the gears and everything. just like all my other reels. It's something that I've heard from other guys as well. We all had the same problem. Started to squeal and then in a mtter of time in went completely out. That's why I'm all Shimano now. Never had a problem with their reels. Durable and hold up to my treatment on the outside.

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #5 - 02/07/07 at 02:02:45
Quote Print Post  
Get an Abu-Garcia Revo.  I've heard all kinds of good things about this reel, even from diehard Shimano fans.  As I understand it, there's nothing in it's price range that even comes CLOSE to the quality and smoothness.  A comparible Shimano reel costs 3x as much.

IP Logged

Nick_Barr
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 02/07/07 at 04:36:03
Quote Print Post  
The revo is awesome!!!!!! I just got a Revo S, which is $99 at Outdoor Emporium if they have any left, I am in LOVE.  It outcasts and is smoother than any reel in that price range. Small Profile too.

I have had wierd experiences with Trions, I have had a couple that have lasted 2 years and 2 that went out on me in cold weather.

I agree with nick, a backbone with a light tip. You might wanna try a Lamiglas Competitor 661.

IP Logged

Carlos
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 02/07/07 at 17:29:17
Quote Print Post  
I'm a firm believer in you pay for what you get. I'm not gonna diss anyones product but if you go with SHIMANO you won't be disappointed. That's a fact.

My 2 cents...
Carlos

IP Logged

Chris B.
WBC Member

Reply #8 - 02/07/07 at 19:40:51
Quote Print Post  
I'll agree with Carlos's statement 100%

Wishful Sponsors: BassCat Boats, Mercury Marine, Tackle Warehouse, Chevy Trucks, Chevron Gas, G-Loomis Rods, Shimano Reels.
IP Logged

marktfd88
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 02/07/07 at 21:18:30
Quote Print Post  
Likewise.  All the companies make good stuff, just a matter of how much you want to pay.  My vote is for Quantum.  I have a 500 Acurist PT that can cast a country mile with light stuff.  My Shimano Curado's are a close second.  As for rod's, get one with an extra fast action.  My personal choice is the G Loomis Bronzeback series rods.

Mark

IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

USMC Ret.  "Full Livewells,
I'll drink to that!"

Reply #10 - 02/12/07 at 17:01:08
Quote Print Post  
Marc,  Next time you see me remind me to tell you about the demo I recently participated in between a Quatum Accurist and a Curado 200 at a G. I. Joes store.

Embarrassing to say the least. Embarrassed
Smitty Wink

Retired From Everything but Feeshin and doing April's bidding

IP Logged

Larry S.
Board Moderator

Reply #11 - 02/13/07 at 03:40:15
Quote Print Post  
No matter what you get...set up a platform in your yard,park, field, but somewhere where you can get lots of practice casting...i spent 5 hours this weekend when I was sick, out in my front yard getting my casting down and practicing my flipping and pitching techniques.
I just fill up some coffee cans with water and cast away. Proficiency comes with repitition and if you want to buy a reel that can replace practice.......none will work for ya. Wink

IP Logged

Carlos
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 02/13/07 at 17:21:40
Quote Print Post  
Well Larry that was very wisely put. Yeah practice makes perfect, but some of us just have natural skills. Roll Eyes Tongue Grin

Carlos

IP Logged

Rwfaz
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 03/06/07 at 02:10:50
Quote Print Post  
I agree with Mark about the Accurist PT. I have both PT and non-PT Quantum Accurists and the PT version just rocks!! For someone like me who does not have the most "educated" thumb, I like being able to throw a bait and not have to thumb the reel while the bait is in the air.

I have shown this to a few people who were non-believers..... and for the price I just love 'em.

Faz.

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 03/06/07 at 03:57:11
Quote Print Post  
It depends on how light of a setup you are trying to throw. I think you will have a hard time with any reel if you are throwing something too light, especially in any wind. Keep that in mind. 1/8 ounce stuff would probably be as light as you could go without wind. And your casting skills would have to be pretty good. And remember that lighter lures usually work best with lighter lines. I few backlashes with lighter line and it will be ruined. I'll tell you whats fun. Catching the fish regardless of the outfit. Picking out birds nests isnt fun. I've snapped 8 pound test several times throwing it on baitcasters. I think because of the torque of hard casts you get from a baitcaster. Just my opinion.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo