Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) bass boat (Read 5444 times)
Thomas N.
Ex Member

bass boat
02/01/07 at 04:59:01
Quote Print Post  
I'm in the market for a bass boat from around 10,000 to 15,000.  What are good makes? ( nitro, skeeter, etc) and above 1999.

IP Logged

Chris B.
WBC Member

Re: bass boat
Reply #1 - 02/01/07 at 15:43:38
Quote Print Post  
You won't find any Legends in his price range Chuck. 
Just do alot of research Thomas, and make sure you know what you are buying.  Don't want to make a bad purchase.  You could almost get in a new smaller boat if you can handle the less HP.  If you fish smaller lakes that can work out for your advantage.

Wishful Sponsors: BassCat Boats, Mercury Marine, Tackle Warehouse, Chevy Trucks, Chevron Gas, G-Loomis Rods, Shimano Reels.
IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 02/01/07 at 16:32:21
Quote Print Post  
Thomas,

I have a couple of buddy's that have a couple of rebuilt bass boats that are for sale. What do I mean when I say rebuilt-Brand new transoms heavier than previous, new carpet, new upholstery, new electronics. I can give you the number if interested. 12-15K Range is possible with these two boats.
Russ

IP Logged

Ripalip
Forum Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - 02/01/07 at 17:59:50
Quote Print Post  
It all depends on what you are wanting to do if you are looking for a boat for small lakes a aluminum boat would work ok. If you are looking at fishing big bodies of water like the river I would look at a glass boat one thing for sure if you buy from a private owner make sure you take the boat in and have everything checked before you make your purchase. It will cost you a few hundred dollars but can save you thousands. In the price range you are looking at you should be able to get a pretty nice boat

Good luck

Thayne

IP Logged

Thomas N.
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 02/01/07 at 20:17:01
Quote Print Post  
It will be a couple months before I decide on the one I want and I will be fishing lakes like hick's lake, black lake, long lake, st. clair, and probably washington and banks.  Thanks for all the help though.

IP Logged

The Weedwalker
WBC Member

Here fishy, fishy..........

Reply #5 - 02/02/07 at 02:31:53
Quote Print Post  
I've had both tin and glass boats myself, the advantage of tin is you can get into skinny water alot easier and the fuel cost isn't as costly. The advantage of glass is smoother ride in rough water more space to hide (or loose) all you secret baits. Huh  If you go for a tin boat, make sure that it has welded seams (no rivets) and that you max out the hp. that the boat allows.

Brian Walker (The Weedwalker)

IP Logged

Wabasmstr
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 02/03/07 at 04:45:07
Quote Print Post  
Try a good used boat from another dealer that is local.  Make sure to water test it and drive it through a good test area.  Take someone with you also to provide another opinion and keep you on the up and up.  Salesmen can be very pushy and not always tell you the 100% truth, Just to get a sale.  Then again, there are some very reputable dealers around that do care.  Good luck on whatever you choose.

Chuck

IP Logged

S._Basser
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 02/04/07 at 08:13:38
Quote Print Post  
Don't buy a boat that starts with "N" or "T", or comes from BPS. Just my opinion. Bought one, got two hulls free, and had to pay to rebuild the last one. The fiberglass guy said they just cut too many corners, and for $200 more spent building it, I wouldn't have had to pay him to rebuild it. The plywood in the transom wasn't bonded together, or wrapped in fiberglass, just put in place and covered over. Not good. They might make it to the end of the 5 year hull warranty, but they won't make 10 years.

Also, FWIW, I can't really understand the function of a small fiberglass boat. It's too fast for small lakes, and just not big enough for large lakes. With the price of gas, I'd recommend a welded aluminum boat with a 4 stroke. Xpress and Crestliner would be high on my list of boats to look at, but I'm sure there are others.

If you want a 'glass boat, I'd suggest Ranger, Champion,  or Stratos. I'd also suggest looking at Pro-Staff boats. They're usually not more than a year old, usually sell with new boat loan rates, and normally will be well maintained, well rigged, and fully sorted. A lot of used bass boats are NOT setup well, drive like crap, and either don't go as well as they should, or will scare the crap out of you. A lot of the dealers don't know how, and the customers don't either. I'd consider going to California to get a good used boat. Redding isn't that far, several dealers, and you can test them at Shasta in a few minutes.
C&R, Steve

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #8 - 02/04/07 at 20:25:04
Quote Print Post  
I'd look into Spokane Valley Marine.  They have a bunch of used boats, and Dan will tell you what is good about them, and what needs fixing (if anything).  You can also take it out on a test drive just minutes away from the dealership.  They have their used boats listed on their site:  http://www.spokanevalleymarine.com

Good luck!

IP Logged

Larry S.
Board Moderator

Reply #9 - 02/04/07 at 20:50:19
Quote Print Post  
With everyong else on the bandwagon here we go...
go to the fish-in at Sammamish and take a spin in the miriad of boats there....a rare chance to step in and check out some boats on the water and get some first hand questions answered.
I have a ProCraft and a multitude of hardware on my wall that can attest to the quality of the ride...tons of storage and instant holeshot when paired with the Merc 150 EFI.
Back deck offers lots of space for the fishing partner and with 48 gallons of fuel and 46 gallon livewell there is no reason to come off the water to fuel or tend to ill fish!
Hope to see ya at the fish-in and good boat hunting!

IP Logged

marktfd88
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 02/13/07 at 20:39:29
Quote Print Post  
By the way, just happen to have my snake boat for sale.  Guys in the club know the boat and can vouch for it.  Sent you a PM with more info.

Mark

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 02/13/07 at 23:32:53
Quote Print Post  
Mark,

If your boat is a snake boat, then what is a skeeter? The anti-venom?

Wah, wah, wah, waaaaaaah.

Can't... help... making... stupid... jokes....

IP Logged

Pays2no
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 02/14/07 at 00:59:13
Quote Print Post  
Hey Chris...I think it's time you get out and do a little fishing ...It might be just the cure for those bad jokes...LOL

Give me a jingle if you really do want to go- I'm thinking of pounding Lake Kathleen this weekend for a monster largie.  I think the chances are pretty good considering all the warm weather we've been experiencing lately and the predicted warm sunny weather for this weekend. 

By the way, Nick Culver caught a 5 1/2 lber out of there last year around mid February.
Bob

IP Logged

Chris B.
WBC Member

Reply #13 - 02/14/07 at 01:24:39
Quote Print Post  
I have fished Kathleen before Bob.  That lake is pretty darn good.  I had a buzzbait strike that almost gave me a heart attack, who knows how big she was.  I'll go out there sometime, send me a PM anytime.  I know you're talkin to Sarge, but figured I'd throw my name in the hat.

Wishful Sponsors: BassCat Boats, Mercury Marine, Tackle Warehouse, Chevy Trucks, Chevron Gas, G-Loomis Rods, Shimano Reels.
IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

USMC Ret.  "Full Livewells,
I'll drink to that!"

Reply #14 - 02/14/07 at 14:43:23
Quote Print Post  
Hey Sarge, if Marc has a snake boat then a Skeeter has to be a "Bug Bote".  BWAAAA Grin

Smitty Wink

Retired From Everything but Feeshin and doing April's bidding

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo