Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Silver Lake Open March 24th (Read 9382 times)
Larry S.
Board Moderator

Re: Silver Lake Open March 24th
Reply #30 - 03/03/07 at 15:09:43
Quote Print Post  
What Russ was getting at was for his company to put on his boat....as for us......it was just making fun of Russ! Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #31 - 03/03/07 at 21:31:48
Quote Print Post  
I have no desire to wrap my boat.  While I cannot speak for anybody else, none of the decals on my truck are "sponsors" or "pro-staff" or anything of the sort.  They're simply products/companies I use and believe in, plus it gets the conversation going at the gas station when I fill up - gives me a chance to talk about WBC.  Smiley

Some guys would NEVER place a decal anywhere unless a "deal" was involved, and get upset with guys like me who do it  for free *GASP*.  Other guys would NEVER place a patch or decal on anything they own no matter WHAT was offered, and they have that right.  There's no wrong answer.  It's whatever is right for you.

I think each person "decorates", or doesn't "decorate", his truck/boat for different reasons.  It would unfair to blindly catagorize everyone into some sort of negative stereotype either way.

It's fishing folks.  It's meant to be fun and relaxing.  To be concerned over who has and doesn't have stickers and patches, sponsorships, or pro-staff positions, or how someone else looks, would take away from the enjoyment of it all.  Everyone can do what they want with this sport. That's what makes it so much fun!

IP Logged

EX-PREZ
WBC Member

"I'd like to thank my
sponsors for helping
me out"

Reply #32 - 03/03/07 at 23:47:30
Quote Print Post  
Glenn,
  I totally agree with you.  I'm sure that every company that makes stickers and patches would love to see them plastered all over everything.  Its free advertising!  My point to my previous post was to only suggest that "wrapping your boat" without a true sponsorship or monetary reward only gives corporations free advertising at the expense of the poor boat owner that has to get it off someday.  Lord help us if you ever had to trade it in or sell it to make the mortgage payment!  I have nothing against patches and stickers and agree, to each his own.  I personally never have been, nor will be so type specific on any product or brand to think less of the next guy for choosing differently.  It's all good! Smiley

SPONSORS:&&MY BEAUTIFUL WIFE!&&1st pick at the raffle (when we have a raffle)&&TEAM NO BOAT PAYMENT/ NO TRUCK PAYMENT&&AQUA VU CAMERAS (borrowed from Terry, scratch that, he took it back)&&STRATOS boats (pre-owned division)&&YAMAHA (came with the STRATOS boat)

IP Logged

Jack
Forum Member

Reply #33 - 03/04/07 at 00:24:19
Quote Print Post  
So the naked lady decals I just bought will be okay on my windshields? They match the boat!  Wink

IP Logged

Xsftballer
Forum Member

St. Croix Rods Pro Staff,
Anglers Marine Pro Staff

Reply #34 - 03/04/07 at 00:26:54
Quote Print Post  
You know I have read some of the posts and shots that some people take and I agree with some of them. But.... For most of the people who really do Pro-Staff or have sponsers, you almost have to project it out to the public in almost an over the top manner. I will say that it is not always easy getting discounts or stuff for free. By the way I get nothing for free. There is a lot of work put into being on a team. Smitty put in at least 5-6 days of his time at the Puyallup show and I am sure at least that up in Monroe.

I worked 3 days for my company in Puyallup and have driven boats back and forth to Monroe and never asked for anything. These are the kind of things that I believe Pro-Staff guys need to do to promote the products that they believe in. I would hope that nobody would pro-staff for anything that they did not believe in.

I have seen the five million trucks that have G-Loomis stickers. I have thought to myself, how many of them actually have a G-Loomis?  How many of us have a BASS sticker on our vehicle? We don't get paid for that, but we all believe in it.

I spoke with a gentleman at the sportsman show in Puyallup that was with a big company (most of you have these products in your boat right now). He told me that he had been watching an individual on line for around six months to see what kind of a person they were. Since he had little or no contact other than on the phone he wanted to see other things like where they positive, did they promote there product with professionalism? I found that amazing.

I am going to leave you with this thought:

Sponsers are not always looking for the best anglers (otherwise I would have none), but someone that can and will promote their product in a professional manner.

Mike Stahlman

Misunderstood

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #35 - 03/04/07 at 00:27:38
Quote Print Post  
Glen,

I think your right about making it and keeping it fun. I just wanted to promote my company further thru another  venue. I'm not sure yet how it is going to look or if I'm doing a half wrap or full wrap yet. The boat wraps actually protect your paint job and yes they are difficult to take off but will not be taking it off in the future.

I have looked at the elite series wraps and they are way to gaudy for me. My goal will be to keep it simple and look professional.

Thanks for the honest opinions you have all given.

Russ

IP Logged

EX-PREZ
WBC Member

"I'd like to thank my
sponsors for helping
me out"

Reply #36 - 03/04/07 at 00:51:49
Quote Print Post  
Mike,
  Well put!  I could only add that your comment  "For most of the people who really do Pro-Staff or have sponsers, you almost have to project it out to the public in almost an over the top manner" is my whole point.  If everyone, whether sponsored or not, promotes products to the degree that a "true Pro Staffer" needs to "do his job", I think it takes away from those guys (Smitty, Russ and a couple of others) that do the hard work and should reap the reward and "glamour", if you will, of that hard work.  In short, there is more to supporting a company (sponsor) than a sticker.  My original post was for that point.  I wouldn't Wrap a boat  and advertise for a company if they wouldn't support me in the same manner and help me take it off.   I absoluetly agree with your comment about a winner.  You don't have to win tournaments to be a good saleman for a sponsor, just a good human being.

SPONSORS:&&MY BEAUTIFUL WIFE!&&1st pick at the raffle (when we have a raffle)&&TEAM NO BOAT PAYMENT/ NO TRUCK PAYMENT&&AQUA VU CAMERAS (borrowed from Terry, scratch that, he took it back)&&STRATOS boats (pre-owned division)&&YAMAHA (came with the STRATOS boat)

IP Logged

Xsftballer
Forum Member

St. Croix Rods Pro Staff,
Anglers Marine Pro Staff

Reply #37 - 03/04/07 at 02:40:53
Quote Print Post  
Thanks for the post Ex-Prez. I was just letting off some steam.

And your right, I feel blessed that I am in the position that I am in with Anglers and St. Croix. Smitty has put a lot of time in, I am not sure what Russ does for Pro-Staff stuff? (not to be a jab at you Russ)

I guess that my sponsers believe that I am marketable? My beautiful body at 300lbs probably does not hurt either! I think that being a reserve police officer also helped. Something about professionalism, I am not quite sure what that is?

By the way Henry and I were out on Washington Friday and picked up three fish. Henry picked up the biggest at 3-04, the other two were around a pound, pound and a half.

Mike

Misunderstood

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #38 - 03/04/07 at 03:40:32
Quote Print Post  
Mike,

That would be Ordella Rods,Nixons Marine, and Quest Fastener.
Russ

IP Logged

Doug_Booth
Ex Member

Reply #39 - 03/05/07 at 04:00:28
Quote Print Post  
I'd personally like to thank all the pro-staffers that have so generously given to our club.  A number have supported the club raffles and still others allow our members quality products at prices that can't compare.  Thanks again!

IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

USMC Ret.  "Full Livewells,
I'll drink to that!"

Reply #40 - 03/05/07 at 15:01:29
Quote Print Post  
Well stated on both post Mike!  I have little to add. Cool

Hey Prez, I think the folks you are referring to are sometimes called "Patch Pirates"! Grin

Speaking of sponsors and Prostaff work, there will be an upcoming announcement from me concering my affiliatons in about three weeks. Roll Eyes

Smitty Wink

Retired From Everything but Feeshin and doing April's bidding

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo