Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) For the Old Farts (Read 2842 times)
basspro
Ex Member

For the Old Farts
12/14/06 at 01:22:00
Quote Print Post  
Doesn't it seem like the winter time goes by so slow as you get older? Everyday I think about being out on the water fishing for bass or thinking about all the laughs we have at the potlucks, and the ribbing that goes on before a tournament.

We must all think our lucky stars at each and every event or time we are on the water during spring and summer. Those moments when we are feeling that tick,tick, that thump on the line or that big fish hammering your top water, man those are wonderfull times.

Sittin by the camp drinking a cold one and eating those great tri-tips, can't you just smell them.

I bet you are just sitting there like me counting the days until that first warm morning light hits your face and body after a long and rainy cold winter.

Hope you all have a safe and peacefull Christmas holiday season and give thanks to those boys overseas who are fighting and serving for their country whether they are in Iraq, Afghanistan or wherever.

Russ

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Re: For the Old Farts
Reply #1 - 12/14/06 at 04:54:21
Quote Print Post  
I always had wished I could just hibernate till about April 15th or so. That would take care of all your problems.

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 12/14/06 at 13:17:34
Quote Print Post  
Nice post.  I too, have wished that I could hibernate like a big ol' bear.  Problem is I would miss a few things.  To pass the time in the winter I hang out in basketball gyms as a coach or referree.  Make repairs on my equipment, more so this season than ever before, to have a more enjoyable time of the water.  All good stuff, but I am with you guys.  The kids and I were just talkin' about Potholes in May and the jamboree.

IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

USMC Ret.  "Full Livewells,
I'll drink to that!"

Reply #3 - 12/14/06 at 14:38:41
Quote Print Post  
I spend the early winter days looking forward to and planning for the winter sports shows.  Meeting a lot of new faces and interesting people.  Last year I got to meet one of the coaches for the Seahawks.  That has already proven to be a real great benifit!  There is always the challenge of learning about the new equipment or products that have come out, and that I'm expected to know about.  ???

Of course when the summer gets here I'll be complaining about having to work all those shows in the winter.  Go Figure. Undecided

This year I'm going to relieve some of that "winter pressure" by spending a few days at El Salto and then bill fishing for Marlin and Dorado at Mazatlon. Cheesy

Smitty Wink

Retired From Everything but Feeshin and doing April's bidding

IP Logged

Varmint
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 12/14/06 at 15:41:04
Quote Print Post  
I spend winter hauling in fat smallmouth from lake Washington  Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 12/14/06 at 19:33:21
Quote Print Post  
Smitty,

You lucky dog.

Varmint,

Trolling for smallies is not my thing, heck you might as well use down riggers for trout and become walkers partner. Wink Wink
Russ

IP Logged

Ray
Forum Member

Reply #6 - 12/14/06 at 20:35:16
Quote Print Post  
Winter moves slow no matter how old you are. 

- as slow as smoke signals
- as slow as your web brower when you REALLY REALLY need something
- As slow as Larry Sullivan rolled his spinner bait to win at Moses (maybe not that slow?)
- As slow as 405 traffic when you're late for the airport
- As slow as old people ....    drive?

Glad I'm not the only one wishing for spring.

IP Logged

Troy
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 12/14/06 at 23:51:49
Quote Print Post  
hey im still young and i already cant wait for spring. seeing big largies cruising, gettin sunburned, girls in bikinis  Grin.  so what to do in the meantime...well i invested in some plastic pouring equip.  and now i'm stockin up on baits for the next year. 

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 12/14/06 at 23:57:51
Quote Print Post  
Troy,

There's actually girls in bikini's out here? Where? This state is void of them. Maybe in California!!
Russ

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 12/15/06 at 18:20:49
Quote Print Post  
Don't play dumb, Russ. Bob P. and I saw you fishing in Mill Bay at that one dock with the ladies pretty hard at this year's Chelan tourney. I think you slow-retrieved that senko for about 30 minutes. There is something about plastic slides that makes a guy just feel like slowing down his retrieve.

Hmm... was that a 6-inch senko? No, it looked more like the 4-inch slim.  Shocked Roll Eyes Grin

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 12/15/06 at 20:02:13
Quote Print Post  
Sarge,

Thats more like an 8" Jerk bait and a largie Beaver.
Russ

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 12/15/06 at 21:48:59
Quote Print Post  
Heh heh... Now I see where those jokes about your "other occupation" come from.

But seriously, I can't wait for the spring, either. There are a few things that keep me busy over winter: skiing (hopefully), reading, and river fishing. I gotta say guys, give winter river fishing for the slimy fish a try. They relate to cover just like bass, and when you go to the Columbia River, you can read the current better!

Chris

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 12/15/06 at 22:22:01
Quote Print Post  
Chris,

That was pretty good I might add. Yes that seems to be the only place I have ever seen chicks hang out is at Chelan.

I didn't realize you were a slimer fisherman. I have tried that stuff on the river and I loose more gear to the river than I do to the fish. Wish it was the other way around. I hear that the Puyallup is still kicking out chums and late run silvers.

Boy do I miss the sun.

Russ

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo