Normal Topic Boat Repair (Read 2303 times)
Hawkeye
Ex Member

Boat Repair
08/20/06 at 19:43:54
Quote Print Post  
Hi All,
I need some advice. I was looking at the bottom of my boat and noticed there is a chip about the size of a dime and about 1/8 thick on the very bottom edge of the keel. The bottom of my boat is white and this area is black. Is this something that needs immediate attention? If I had a keel guard put on would that protect that area or would I need to have it repaired first? If you think it needs repaired, where is a good place to take it?

Thanks!!

IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

USMC Ret.  "Full Livewells,
I'll drink to that!"

Re: Boat Repair
Reply #1 - 08/21/06 at 13:28:46
Quote Print Post  
Get a bottle of Marine-Tex and patch it.  You'll be fine.  Just follow the directions on the can.

Smitty

Retired From Everything but Feeshin and doing April's bidding

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 08/21/06 at 18:39:40
Quote Print Post  
Auburn Sports and Marine sells the small kit for about 12 bucks and will patch approx. one square foot. worked on my boat!

IP Logged

Hawkeye
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 08/22/06 at 03:45:22
Quote Print Post  
Smitty & Larry,
Thanks for the info. I talked to All Marine in Lacy today and they suggested I go ahead and put a Hambys Keel Guard on, which I have been wanting to do anyway. They said that would cover the chip and protect the bottom from this happening again. They said they could install one for $399. What do you think?

IP Logged

Ray
Forum Member

Reply #4 - 08/22/06 at 04:09:14
Quote Print Post  
Hawkeye,
I just installed a Keelguard on my boat and it was quite easy.  I purchased it from Cabelas for about $150.00 with shipping.  It's about an hour and half from start to finish.  It'll save you a couple hundred dollars.  The instructions were very good and there is more detailed information on the website. 
Ray

http://www.keelguard.com/

IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

USMC Ret.  "Full Livewells,
I'll drink to that!"

Reply #5 - 08/22/06 at 13:48:46
Quote Print Post  
A Hamby's beaching bumper is the Cadillac of Keel Guards.  A big plus is that is backed by a lifetime guarantee against defects.  If it comes loose for ANY reason, it will be replaced at no charge.  Go to Hambys web-site to read about the product. 
It's more costly than some of the other do-it-yourself brands, but the peace of mind I get from knowing that my boat is TOTALY protected against damage to the keel is worth it.
No other keel guard goes on my boats.

Smitty Wink

Retired From Everything but Feeshin and doing April's bidding

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 08/22/06 at 15:48:24
Quote Print Post  
I had a Keelgard installed at time of purchase and have been happy with it

IP Logged

JohnKTKim
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 08/23/06 at 00:16:52
Quote Print Post  
I installed a keelshield and am totally happy with it  but I'd get the original hamby's on my next boat

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo