Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) LargeMouth Spawn? (Read 3147 times)
RussBaker
Ex Member

LargeMouth Spawn?
08/19/06 at 21:12:45
Quote Print Post  
How late have you seen LM spawn?
Russ

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Re: LargeMouth Spawn?
Reply #1 - 08/20/06 at 17:32:22
Quote Print Post  
Surprised no answers. Well went fishing yesterday with Mark ( Man W/ A View) on a small western water and saw two fish one about 4+ and the other over 5 sitting on a bed.

Fish were quite spooky, but kept coming back to bed.
Russ

IP Logged

WCCT
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 08/20/06 at 18:23:57
Quote Print Post  
I saw the same thing last year on a small private lake we fish.  I saw several bass on beds throughout July and even into August.  Not sure what's going on.  I've heard some pro's who swear there is a later spawn too.  Makes you wonder.

IP Logged

jwerner
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 08/20/06 at 20:05:45
Quote Print Post  
Mid to Late July would be the latest I have seen this - only on two occasions as well.  Each time the male was small, so I attributed this to "rookie" mistake.  I have seen lone female bass acting in a "stingey" manner in late July.  They would not want to leave a certain area or spot, acting as if it were on a bed even though no bed was present. 

IP Logged

Man_with_a_view
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 08/21/06 at 04:49:45
Quote Print Post  
I might add that the water temp was at a optimum temperature for spawning. We also saw numerous beds that were empty. They had not been unoccupied for long though as they were very clean and not silted over yet. I am positive that these beds were not from May or June. If they were they would not have been as clean as they were.This was the latest I personaly seen bass spawn here in Washington. I have no doubt that is what these fish were doing. The bed was clearly visible and the behavior was right on.

IP Logged

Baslayr
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 08/21/06 at 15:03:30
Quote Print Post  
Caught a 7+ around a bed full of eggs around the 2nd week of Aug last year and saw one on a bed about 2 weeks ago 4+lbs.

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 08/21/06 at 16:57:57
Quote Print Post  
When I fished the San Diego lakes years ago, and saw beds in August. All largemouth. I don't know if it made a difference that they were deep clear reservoirs or what, but they were there. I have heard that bass will spawn twice, and this is probably why we see late beds.
« Last Edit: 08/21/06 at 18:55:03 by »  

IP Logged

Baslayr
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 08/21/06 at 17:22:32
Quote Print Post  
The only place I've heard of 2 spawns was Florida. I don't know why it would'nt happen is SoCal though.

IP Logged

Nick_Barr
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 08/22/06 at 00:29:43
Quote Print Post  
I have red in some books about how some of the Female LM Bass, move from different beds all throughout the spring into parts of summer depositting eggs.  When I explain it to my school buds I have to call them Bass Ho's or they wont get it.

IP Logged

Mack
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 08/23/06 at 15:24:55
Quote Print Post  
I have noticed the same thing out at American Lake. My son and I go out there often yesterday being the last time. I also seen lots of beds in areas that I have been in not more than a week ago and theres beds that werent there before thought it  might be rockbass or maybe bluegill but is a possibility they were real bass.Won't LG mouth go to shallows to feed on other beds of other fish. I have been to alot of lakes down here were LG's are in beds of other fish eating there eggs and other fish that come in search of food.So maybe there not spawning but protecting there food source. just a thought.

mack

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 08/24/06 at 02:51:09
Quote Print Post  
That's a good point Mack. Bass do go to beds in search of food. Last year on Potholes I found a huge area of bluegill beds and evry now and then a nice 3-4 pound bass would cruise up.

I watched a show where Jason Quinn was fishing lake Wylie and targeting bluegill beds up shallow. He was tearing them up with a topwater and later with a bluegill colored crankbait. I bet night fishing up shallow on lakes with good bluegill would be sweet in the summer.

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 08/24/06 at 03:42:10
Quote Print Post  
Mack,

These two were definitely spawning. But I have seen fish cruise up to blue gill beds as you suggest.
Russ

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo