Normal Topic Tapps (Read 2309 times)
jwalzer
Ex Member

Tapps
08/09/06 at 17:02:37
Quote Print Post  
Took the day off Monday and went out to Tapps.  I don't know how many of you have fished Tapps, but I'll tell you that from my experience, fishing during the week can be a pain due to all the wake boarders, jet skis, and pleasure boats.

In any case, the fishin was pretty good with about 20 fish being caight between myself and my GF. Most of them were in the 1 to 1.5 pound range and were caught in about 15 feet of water in and around Tapps Island.

We did manage one that went just over 4 pounds.  Sorry about the picture quality.  Had to use the camera phone.

IP Logged

Chris B.
Ex Member

Re: Tapps
Reply #1 - 08/09/06 at 18:58:08
Quote Print Post  
Thats a big fish.  Your saying even during the week its bad out there, or did you mean weekend?

IP Logged

jwalzer
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 08/09/06 at 19:32:12
Quote Print Post  
Sorry, meant during the weekend.  There were a few boats out there Monday (don't people have to work?).  But it was no where near as bad as it is on the weekends.

-jw

IP Logged

Doug_Booth
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 08/09/06 at 19:47:48
Quote Print Post  
I may venture out there on Thursday with my nephew.  What's the pattern there?  I have only seen the lake from the golf course.  Is it docks or submerged structure?

IP Logged

jwalzer
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 08/09/06 at 19:55:54
Quote Print Post  
The water was very clear when I was out Monday so I opted to stay out away from shore.  I tried to keep my depth about 15 to 20 feet.  There's a decent drop off away from shore.  If you launch from the county park, take a left and cruise over to the second point.  The first one goes out a really long ways and can put you right in the middle of traffic.

We dragged drop-shot and carolina-rigged hula grubs off that point into 20 to 25 feet of water.  Its a great spot that has almost always been productive.  Up and down that shore has always been pretty good also.

-jw

IP Logged

champ206
Forum Member

Reply #5 - 08/10/06 at 05:47:53
Quote Print Post  
Lakre Tapps has NO FISH in it.  I have fished Lake Tapps once or twice. It is a lake that has received very little pressure but it is getting to be more popular. It was one of my best kept secrets.  On the west side of Tapps Island the is a couple of decent rock piles that are about 5 feet underwater water just before the drop off. The bridge by Tapps Island can be very good.
In the  stump field at the right time of the year is great with a jig & pig. That lake has so much structure to fish it is hard start in one place. My personal experience is the NW end of the lake is best for Bass.  Remenber to tell everyone there is no fish in it.
JOHN

IP Logged

BassAholic
Forum Member

Fords don't float !

Reply #6 - 08/18/06 at 17:00:54
Quote Print Post  
I went to Tapps yesterday for the first time. It was cloudy most of the morning so I was the only boat out there from what I could see. The pleaser boaters didn't come out till noon.
I got 14 smallmouth.10 of them were B4 noon Slowed way down after 1pm. Most all were dinks 2 were 1lb 2 more at 2lb & I saw a huge tiger muskie
All my fish were on drop shot in 22-26 feet of water. I was marking so many fish it was nuts. The bait is thick right now & I could see the bigger fish just sitting in the bait schools. Later in the day the fish moved off over 30-35 feet of water suspending at 26feet & not eating.
I tried lot of top water early in the day but no takers.
Tapps is a very big lake & needs lots of investigation A GPS would help so that might be my next new toy.

Fish like you are retired!&&Work like your on vacation!&&
IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo