Normal Topic Boat Insurance help! (Read 1888 times)
WCCT
Ex Member

Boat Insurance help!
07/31/06 at 03:59:42
Quote Print Post  
I was out on Washington on Sunday, and I managed to sink my boat Angry  It cost about 7500.00 to pull it up and tow it to the launch.  They said my insurance would cover the salvage of the boat, so hopefully they do.  I am going to talk to my insurance agent tomorrow and try to get this worked out.  Does anyone have any experience with boat claims here?  I lost my windshields, my electronics, and some rods and a bunch of tackle.  My carpet is destroyed, and I am sure the motor is screwed up too Angry  I hope I can just have them total the dang thing and be done with it.  If anyone has any tips on dealing with the insurance company, I would love to hear them.  Thanks.

IP Logged

Nick_Barr
Ex Member

Re: Boat Insurance help!
Reply #1 - 07/31/06 at 05:27:33
Quote Print Post  
THAT SUCKS!!!!!! Embarrassed  I dont have experience with Insurance yet, though I have heard of people letting their engines sit under heat lamps for a week and they dry out totally the OB, then it runs, though, That might be the case since your boat totally sunk.

If you dont mind me asking what happened?

IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

USMC Ret.  "Full Livewells,
I'll drink to that!"

Reply #2 - 07/31/06 at 13:33:51
Quote Print Post  
The question of level & upright flotation comes to mind.  ???  
As far as insurance, most policy's have provisions for tackle and accessories.  If yours does not, your home-owner's insurance will sometimes cover your personal effects.  

I hope your policy was for total replacement value as opposed to depreciated value.

Smitty Wink

Retired From Everything but Feeshin and doing April's bidding

IP Logged

WCCT
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/31/06 at 15:50:03
Quote Print Post  
I was having problem with my batteries.  It must have been a short or something because I had three relatively new batteries that were fully charged.  I couldn't crank the big motor, so we tried to swap batteries.  It was pretty rough and we were taking on a little water, not too much though, and then two larger boats, probably 25+feet long flew by me no farther that 20'.  Needless to say, they swamped my boat and since I had the back engine compartment open it just instantly flooded.  My bilge couldn't keep up with the amount of water coming in.  Luckily I had a buddy close to me and he towed me close to shore before it sank completely.

IP Logged

Andrea L
WBC Member

Reply #4 - 07/31/06 at 19:54:10
Quote Print Post  
WCCT,

Unfortunately we've had to deal with our insurance on a "totalled" bass boat in Nov 2003, Pemco was our carrier.  If your ins. co. totals your boat-- my advice is to keep on them for a fair settlement as most insurance claims adjusters don't have a clue about the value of a bass boat.  Since our boat was older (1991) it was covered under a market resale value -- not blue book.  I ended up doing quite a bit of research as well as  getting quotes from bass boat dealerships within the state of Washington (not California) to present to the adjuster who had really low balled the original payoff . . . so we ended up with $13,500 instead of the original $7,500 offer -- so my time, patience & effort was well worth it.  The adjuster got a good schooling in bass boats as well!  Jeff P. at Nixon's was very helpful in supplying quotes & information.

Hope this helps,

Andrea

IP Logged

WCCT
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 08/09/06 at 15:30:13
Quote Print Post  
Andrea, thanks for the advice Wink  I made out pretty decent on the insurance thing.  They are giving me pretty much what I had it insured for.  Now I am just waiting on the lost gear and tackle to be worked out.  On a better note, I just picked up my new boat yesterday Grin  Well it's not new, but new to me.  It is a 98 Viper Coral fish/ski with about 40 hours on it.   I had to make the wife happy Wink  So I would have to say everything worked out for the best Cheesy

IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

USMC Ret.  "Full Livewells,
I'll drink to that!"

Reply #6 - 08/09/06 at 15:44:41
Quote Print Post  
You will love that Coral!!
I used to be on the Pro Staff for Viper Boats.  There was little question around the industry that they made the best Fish & Ski on the market at the time.(94-2001)  Comfortable, easy to maneuver, fisherman friendly and pretty fast too.

Smitty Wink

Retired From Everything but Feeshin and doing April's bidding

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo