Normal Topic Does weed kill effect fishing (Read 825 times)
BassAholic
Forum Member

Fords don't float !

Does weed kill effect fishing
07/26/06 at 16:24:22
Quote Print Post  
Well many of the small lakes I fish have been getting weed kills on them like North Lake.
For about 2yrs I fished these lakes & had lot of success I could catch 15-30 fish (dinks) & 1 or 2  nice size ones.
Now I hit these lakes after weed kills & I'm lucky to catch 1 or 2 dinks.
Either I'm getting worse at fishing as the years go by or something is wrong.

Fish like you are retired!&&Work like your on vacation!&&
IP Logged

Baslayr
Ex Member

Re: Does weed kill effect fishing
Reply #1 - 07/26/06 at 17:44:38
Quote Print Post  
Weeds where their stucture. Now that the structure is gone the fish have moved. Also, I worked on a project with the F&G and with the weed die-off the food was more visible, so there may be more full fish then in the past.

IP Logged

jwerner
Ex Member

Re: Does weed kill effect fishing
Reply #2 - 07/26/06 at 21:25:25
Quote Print Post  
Did F&W apply herbicide to North recently?  Years ago my dad and I use to fish Elbow lake.  There are some awesome fish in that lake and there were a few spots that we could regularly go to that would yield fish.  After the weed killer was applied, we would catch nothing.  Very few small fish were seen in the shallows, even in areas that typically were packed with small ones.   Just recently I have been fishing Steilacoom Lake since rthe launch is minutes away.  F&W applied killer on 6-20.  I fished for awhile with no results so I thought I'd poke around inthe shallows to see what I could see.  I put the trolling motot on and cruised, found nothing except a lot of wilted vegitation.  Then found a notice citing the herbicide application.  Each week after the application more and more fish have been moving in and the water is coloring up again.  Just the other day I found 4 largies over five pounds each along with numerous shakers.   SO in my experiences, I believe it takes a good 5 - 6 weeks for the fish to adjust.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo