Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Hey Folks.....whatta ya think? (Read 3752 times)
Larry S.
Ex Member

Hey Folks.....whatta ya think?
07/14/06 at 15:48:08
Quote Print Post  
Thinking of putting a tournament rules change to add a new division on a trial basis.........
A Float Tube, Pontoon Boat division.
Been reading articles fron California and they have alot of clubs to contact and the technology is avail. for livewells and such.
Plus it makes access to the smaller lakes for just fun fishing without all the homeowners whining!
Average costs to start up are $250.00-$400.00 for float tubes and around $500.00-$1.500 for pontoon boats.
Bassmasters even did the Bass Tech project last year to a pontoon boat.
So........Whatta Ya Think?

IP Logged

Bill Brynteson
Ex Member

Re: Hey Folks.....whatta ya think?
Reply #1 - 07/14/06 at 17:14:12
Quote Print Post  
Hey Lar

Do you have any info/links for the livewell/accessories?

I think it would be blast to have a float tube division.

BillB

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/14/06 at 20:17:40
Quote Print Post  
Larry,

Are you considering adding this division to our current list of tournament or starting a new set of tournaments on smaller lakes?

This could be fun... but if you are meaning to do this on the same lakes as we already hold tourneys on, then you probably won't see many people float tubing on Lake Roosevelt or Potholes or other big water bodies. It's a pretty dangerous proposition with the wind and power boats.

If you mean to start a new circuit of tournaments, then we will have issues with the permit limit. The club can only have seven a year.

But - I don't mean to crap on your idea, I like it. I love taking my float tube out!

How about first doing some tube-ins instead of (or in addition to) fish-ins to see how popular the idea is?

Chris

IP Logged

Bill Brynteson
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/15/06 at 01:13:20
Quote Print Post  
Good info Chris, I think we should get together and make a plan for a "tube-In",  we have some excellent water in the area.  I have a nice pair of tubo fins 25 pitch, you should see me on the hole shot!   Grin

BillB

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 07/15/06 at 03:57:50
Quote Print Post  
I'm game, Bill... Larry?

Are you both going to be at the meeting this week? We could talk about some lakes to try. I'd be willing to help organize a tube-in. With current and future gas prices, I'm going to be desperate for cheaper entertainment!

Chris

P.S. Your tubo fins sound sweet!  Grin

IP Logged

Bill Brynteson
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 07/15/06 at 04:00:02
Quote Print Post  
I'll be there Chris and Larry says he will be coming too!  At least that is what he said a couple of weeks ago ???

BillB

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 07/15/06 at 04:40:00
Quote Print Post  
Yup I will be there.......as for info....F.L.W. Outdoors this month is doing a story on this subject and last year I believe Bassmaster did one or two.
Willhave to do some researching and get some reprint auth. and make up a flyer.

IP Logged

Chris B.
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 07/15/06 at 05:21:27
Quote Print Post  
I have a float tube that I use occasionaly.  Sounds like a good idea.

IP Logged

GotABite
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 07/17/06 at 08:04:51
Quote Print Post  
What about us small boats ? I just bought a 10ft  plastic fishin boat for the reason of getting out on the smaller lakes and away from the summer madness on the big lakes. Maybe  float tubes, pontoons and boat under 12ft or something like that ! Sound like fun idea !!

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 07/17/06 at 19:11:43
Quote Print Post  
I think a second club deal would be the way to go. there are float tube clubs that hold tournies. Maybe make it a 3 fish limit to ensure better survival. Then hold tournaments on small lakes and ponds. That would be cheap and fun as heck? I haven't even used my float tube in Washington but this would get me out. I have a floating thing with a net that works as a livewell for float tubes. Nice because it requires nothing, no pumps or anything. It's like one of those throwable circle things from a boat. Just put the fish in the hole and they stay in the net in the water.

We could call the club Western Bass Float Club to get by the 7 permit limit deal, but incorporate the chats into the meetings and site...Great idea.

IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

USMC Ret.  "Full Livewells,
I'll drink to that!"

Reply #10 - 07/17/06 at 20:40:24
Quote Print Post  
I think your idea has merit and you might be on to something Rob.

Smitty Wink

Retired From Everything but Feeshin and doing April's bidding

IP Logged

T_Dot
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 07/20/06 at 05:13:49
Quote Print Post  
my friend and i would join in the jon boat class.

Smiley

does it specifically have to be a jon boat, or can it be a small aluminum boat?

IP Logged

Rich
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 07/20/06 at 06:02:30
Quote Print Post  
Oh sure.  This would leave me without  a PADDLE!!~!!!!

W-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-

Rich

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 07/21/06 at 15:41:29
Quote Print Post  
Sorry about not showing up at the meeting....too tired after fishing yesterday....need to drink more water!

IP Logged

S._Basser
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 07/22/06 at 05:19:26
Quote Print Post  
Any human-powered boat should be legal, IMO. But I especially don't want to see Larry or Smitty in their spandex waders.  Undecided
C&R, Steve

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo