Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) 1983 Skeeter Starfire/Evinrude 150XP (Read 8105 times)
Nick_Barr
Ex Member

1983 Skeeter Starfire/Evinrude 150XP
07/08/06 at 02:51:33
Quote Print Post  
I have been searching around for a boat in the past couple of months and I have found a 1983 150 17' Skeeter Starfire with an 1984 Evinrude XP150 for sale down in Oregon.  It looks in great condition as the guy is selling it becaue he bought a brand new Ranger Z.

What are some of your guys opinions on a Skeeter Starfire? and the Evinrude XP 150?

Thanks,
                                   Nick

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Re: 1983 Skeeter Starfire/Evinrude 150XP
Reply #1 - 07/08/06 at 15:09:06
Quote Print Post  
From what I have seen Nick...5-6 starfires have been used by club members and they seemed to do quite well...they are very functional and lots of storage. Is this year model with the metal trimmed compartments? The metal gets very hot in summer and have seen folks stub toes and such otherwise the hull has a quick holeshot and rides nice.

IP Logged

EX-PREZ
WBC Member

"I'd like to thank my
sponsors for helping
me out"

Reply #2 - 07/08/06 at 20:05:12
Quote Print Post  
Nick,
  I owned an 84' Starfire with a 150 Mercury for a couple of seasons.  I bought it from Kirk who owned it for several years.  Very fast hull design, good in rough water and a dual console would have been a bonus.  Both Kirk and I won alot of tournaments out of that old boat.  I do disagree with Larry though.  The storage, especially in the front of the boat is minimal but the fast and dry ride was worth it.  If the transom is solid, buy it.  If not, don't.  Would I buy another?  Absolutley!  Solid boat!

SPONSORS:&&MY BEAUTIFUL WIFE!&&1st pick at the raffle (when we have a raffle)&&TEAM NO BOAT PAYMENT/ NO TRUCK PAYMENT&&AQUA VU CAMERAS (borrowed from Terry, scratch that, he took it back)&&STRATOS boats (pre-owned division)&&YAMAHA (came with the STRATOS boat)

IP Logged

Nick_Barr
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/08/06 at 22:48:19
Quote Print Post  
Awesome, I have checked the Internet for tests to use on the Transom.  So far all I have heard is good things about the Starfire Boats.

For the Engine I have heard they are very good Engines, just they are Gas Hawgs and that The VRO Oiling system in some Motors needs to be disconnected and ran with a Pre-Mix.  So Far So Good!!!

Me and My mom will be running down to Portland this Tuesday to Check it out.

Here are some pics

Only for $2500

IP Logged

Chris B.
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 07/09/06 at 02:03:06
Quote Print Post  
Your right about the VRO, I've read that about the older engines.  Alot safer to pre-mix then have it go out while running down the lake.  It looks ok, does it come with a trolling motor?  What about batteries, are they up to date?  Costs add up quick.

IP Logged

Nick_Barr
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 07/09/06 at 02:19:21
Quote Print Post  
Yes, it has a 50lb. Thrust Minn Kota, its just not on there. Its not alot of Thrust, but I will upgrade when I have the $ possible, That is if I buy the boat. I am not trying to Jump the Gun.

Also it has 3 Everstart batteries that are a couple of years old. 

As I said I am not trying to Jump the Gun, as my mother has told me and I am trying to keep my head on straight... as this "Might" be finally my first "Real Bass Boat"

We are going to test run it out on the River. Also he has not had Engine problems since he got it from a friend in 94' Except for replacing a  failing water pump a couple years back. ( I know as always people should replace water pumps and/or fuel pumps every 1 or 2 years for preventative maintanence)

IP Logged

Nick_Barr
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 07/12/06 at 05:50:38
Quote Print Post  
THE VERdICT IS: Grin Grin Grin I BOUGHT HER!!!!

The TRANSOM IS VERY SOLID
The FLOOr is GOOD

TE ENGINE RUNS LIKE A BEAST AND HAS NO VRO SYSTEM,
JUST STRAIGHT V-6 Carberated PURE HORSEPOWER

GREAT HOLE SHOT WITH REAL GOOD TOP END.  real dry ride. good handling with POSI-Steer, and dual cable steering.   I also know he bought it from a reputable dealer. NIXONS MARINE in 1994.  Now we just have to get all the titles mess cleared up and good to go!

Its Cosmetics are OK, but of course its 20 some odd years old! Its going to need a fresh Gel-Coat or a good wet sand and buffer.

ONE SOLID WEEKEND WITH A COUPLE OF BUDS AND THIS BOAT IS GOING TO LOOK REAL PURDY!!!!!!!!!!!

FINALLY I DONT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT TIPPING OVER A BOAT IF MORE Than just myself steps on one side.

all for $2300!!!

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 07/12/06 at 05:55:54
Quote Print Post  
Congrats Nick on the boat. You will get much pleasure out of it.
Russ

IP Logged

Chris B.
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 07/12/06 at 06:16:14
Quote Print Post  
Congrats Nick !

IP Logged

Pays2no
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 07/12/06 at 06:36:13
Quote Print Post  
Nice boat Nick!

Have you obtained your drivers license now so you can tow your boat to the lake?

IP Logged

Nick_Barr
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 07/12/06 at 13:59:17
Quote Print Post  
Not quite yet, still waiting on a permit Embarrassed
Once school starts I will be enrolled in Drivers ED and have my permit.

But I have to say THANKS to my mom.

She helped me by putting down some money for the boat.  AND taking me all the way down to portland and back.

Also, Thanks to the WBC members who provided some input on this purchase.

PS: When we were puttin the boat in the water, the rope came undone and the boat started to float away!!!!!!!!!!  So I said screw it and gave my mom my wallet and cell phone out of my jeans and jumped right in to the columbia and got it back.  I will always remember taking my first real bass boat for a drive and had to go swimming for it.

It wasnt too much fun riding back to Lacey all wet with no shirt, but that didnt matter, cause I got myself
a real bass boat!
THANKS!!!!

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 07/12/06 at 14:49:41
Quote Print Post  
Nick,
Congrats, dude.  That is so sweet!  You are right, your Mom rocks.  Make sure you keep thanking her.  That is a small price to pay. 

You will like the skeeter.  I never had any problems with my starfire.

IP Logged

marktfd88
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 07/12/06 at 17:32:22
Quote Print Post  
Hey, great job Nick.  Follow your dreams and now start living them.  Maybe some day you will let me back seat out of your boat.

Mark

IP Logged

The Weedwalker
WBC Member

Here fishy, fishy..........

Reply #13 - 07/13/06 at 03:03:54
Quote Print Post  
Congrates Nick, it will never be the same from here out, now you just need a truck to pack it around and you'll be hard to find on the weekends!!  Wink Tongue

Brian Walker (The Weedwalker)

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo