Normal Topic Major boat problem (Read 1200 times)
Y2SAYS
Ex Member

Major boat problem
07/01/06 at 22:29:44
Quote Print Post  
Where do I start?  Last Sunday I was towing the boat and the nut that hold the ball on the hitch came loose dropping the front end of the trailer to the ground.  It ended up wedged under my bumper snapping the emergency brake line, broke my trailer light socket, slightly damaged my two cables. Angry  Unfortunately to fix the emergeny brake line I have to get a whole new coupler which will be about $850. Shocked  I got the light fixed and got a new ball and then I took a couple friends out to Sawyer and after a few hours of having the lights on it drained the main battery.  I jump started the boat using the other batteries and last night I went out and found the the battery was drained on my trolling motor.  To make sure it was the battery and not the trolling motor that was broken, I hooked the cables to the cranking motor and the trolling motor worked.  So we called it quits and that night the trolling motor didn't work at all even when it was hooked up to the other battery.  I charged it over night and this morning, still not working.  Not only that, but the foot pedal is stock and wont move at all.  What do you guys think is the problem?  Did I damage something when I jumped the main battery?  Also, my gas gauge doesn't work now either.  The only thing good out of all this is that I am still catching fish.

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Re: Major boat problem
Reply #1 - 07/01/06 at 22:53:28
Quote Print Post  
Start with the fuse panel...battery cables and connections.
This caused me to buy a $644.00 trolling motor I did not need.....yes the cranking battery could have blown a fuse and / or burned some wiring. Check the wiring to see if the coating has been melted.
See if anyone has the same trolling motor set up as you and see if it will plug and play on their rig...mine is a Motorguide with a four prong plug and you are welcome to bring it over for a test.
Sometimes a traumatic shock can loosen up the circuit board in the unit itself so rule out the power supply issue and it should direct you to the motor.

IP Logged

Y2SAYS
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/02/06 at 01:25:37
Quote Print Post  
Mine is a motorguide and I think it is a 3 prong.  Thanks for the offer and advice and I'll take it look at it later.  Hopefully it's something simple.

IP Logged

Stu
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/02/06 at 01:45:43
Quote Print Post  
Says,

I feel for you, man. I haven't gotten by boat on the water for a month and a half, and now I have the boat ready and the boot on my tie rod on the truck blew out and has to be replaced, so I am stuck again.

I recommend that you check all of your in-line fuses, as well. There should be a 40 or 50-am fuse or breaker for your trolling motor that likely blew.

I'm not an expert, but I have learned a ton in the past 2 months about how the wiring works on my boat. See the string I started in this discussion area (General) titled Motor Guide 24v running 12v? for some advice the guys gave me on my trolling motor wiring woes.

Stu

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo