Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Columbia - Priest Rapids (Read 4550 times)
gotfive
Ex Member

Columbia - Priest Rapids
06/19/06 at 18:01:50
Quote Print Post  
Fished Sunday at Priest Rapids.  First time trip.  Launched in below Mattawa.  Great trip.  Caught 11 smallies up to 3lbs even.  There is a TON of great water here that I cannot wait to further my knowledge on.

IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

USMC Ret.  "Full Livewells,
I'll drink to that!"

Re: Columbia - Priest Rapids
Reply #1 - 06/19/06 at 20:10:06
Quote Print Post  
I've got a friend from work who retired to Desert Aire Kirk.  He is always talking about the bass fishing there, but also has remarked about how bad the rocks are.  Did you have any problem navigating or avoiding the hazards in your bug boat?

Smitty Wink

Retired From Everything but Feeshin and doing April's bidding

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/19/06 at 20:33:52
Quote Print Post  
I must admit that I had heard the same thing and kept it under control, not wanting to damage anything and will continue to do so until I learn the water enough to be comfortable.    Basically kept to the 90 degree angle and unless I was in the dead center, I did not run.  I spent way more time idling around than fishing this day.  Pretty smart as there are no "maps" of the area that I can find.  There are some dandy bass in this area that make the trip worthwhile and I will continue to venture forward in this area.  I think it is one of those hidden jewels that is kept pretty quite or that anglers won't fish due to the healthy respect to the shoals and rocks.

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/19/06 at 21:00:41
Quote Print Post  
I would love to come over some Kirk and hit that with you. Mark and I have talked about the potential for great fish there.

IP Logged

marktfd88
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 06/21/06 at 14:25:02
Quote Print Post  
Yeah, I have thought that this might be a good June or August lake to hit.  Good warm weather and fighting smallies on a body of water that doesn't get pounded all the time.  Could be an idea for next years tourney schedule.

Mark

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/21/06 at 14:37:47
Quote Print Post  
Well if we have people worried about hitting structure at Vantage, I doubt we'll get a turnout here.

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 06/22/06 at 02:15:55
Quote Print Post  
Does not need a tourney to be a destination.  I think it is just a wonderful location for a summer gig.  We could stay here and bbq, hit vantage/priest rapids for the weekend.  That maybe kinda fun.

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 06/22/06 at 04:04:50
Quote Print Post  
I'm game. Let's put something together. I'm sure we can get a few members to join in. Would be kinda like the fish-in at Lyle's last year. That was a blast.

IP Logged

Rwfaz
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 06/22/06 at 04:35:37
Quote Print Post  
Dang Rob, somehow you've mastered time travel...... you posted a message today at 10.04pm and it's only 9.41pm in Edmonds  

Even weirder... I posted the reply at 9.41pm and it comes up at 10.35pm!!!

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 06/22/06 at 15:02:42
Quote Print Post  
I need to use it to my advantage to gain more fishing time on the water. Maybe I could get a limit that way!

IP Logged

Man_with_a_view
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 10/02/06 at 20:35:58
Quote Print Post  
I have fished there twice and it is a really good smallie spot. Navigation can be tricky especially if the water levels are low. Both times I was there it was not bad. There was lots of current and if you know how to use it to your advantage it is more of an aid than a hinderance. If you guys get a trip together over there I would love to go if somebody has room for a back seater. The fishing was great both times I was there. Lots of 2 lb + fish and several in the 3 and 4 lb bracket. I have not fished there in a lot of years. Since I had to sell my boat. Would love to go back again.........

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo