Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Sturgeon trip (Read 3649 times)
Rob M.
Ex Member

Sturgeon trip
06/12/06 at 16:02:24
Quote Print Post  
Had a buddy who guides take Carlos and I Sturgeon fishing on Sunday. Man what a blast! Kinda nice "lazy" fishing. Here are a few of the legal sized keepers we got.

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Re: Sturgeon trip
Reply #1 - 06/12/06 at 17:10:12
Quote Print Post  
Nice job guys!
did they take long to land?
any big ones?

IP Logged

Carlos
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/12/06 at 17:11:54
Quote Print Post  
Yeah we was just out droppin' gear Wink. The fight was awesome ya'll! Shocked We had a lot of fun and the drive home had me rolling. Great times! 8) Yeah one real big one I set the hook and it turned once and snapped me off. Most fights between 5 and 10 minutes.

Carlos

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/12/06 at 17:34:48
Quote Print Post  
Well Larry, you can target what they call "Oversized." Like the big daddies. We went after keepers in an area where there probably aren't those giants. You would have to get up river in the pools for the "dinosaurs." You can only keep fish between 45-60 inches. We got 2 huge fillets out of one fish. Fish and chips for a month!  

We saw tons of fry! We was a flippin a jig and chovy.. Wink

IP Logged

Rich
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 06/12/06 at 18:21:42
Quote Print Post  
Nice catch guys.  My wife and I went down there and the guide asked,  Do you want a chance at a monster or some meat?"  We said meat so he took us to areas that only held the "regular" ones.

I wasn't too impressed with the "fight" of these fish.  Course iffin' you get into one of the "monsters" then all bets are off.  HAHA

Also didn't really care for the taste of the meat.  Tried several ways of cooking.  Finally took 30 lbs. of fillets to smoke place and had it smoked.  Now that was GREAT especially with BEER.

So, been there and did that and don't need to go back.

Rich

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/12/06 at 18:25:36
Quote Print Post  
Our keepers fought good.....My back is feeling it this morning. Don't know what to tell you Rich.

IP Logged

Rich
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 06/12/06 at 21:46:46
Quote Print Post  
Hhhmmm...can you sayWIMP.  Maybe if you didn't go with Carlos your back wouldn,t hurt so much.

Rich

IP Logged

Carlos
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 06/12/06 at 22:57:47
Quote Print Post  
Rich-
 Ok, I'm not sure what that's suppose to mean but with these fish we would have had to strap you to your chair and the chair to the boat. Sounds like you went with the wrong "guide". Tongue

Carlos

IP Logged

Troy
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 06/13/06 at 00:25:13
Quote Print Post  
something i have always wanted to try.  looks like you had fun.  i hear there are some monsters below bonneville too.

IP Logged

jwerner
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 06/13/06 at 01:45:07
Quote Print Post  
Couple years ago I was below Bonneville in August.  Boated two 5 foot fish, one that was seven feet and an enormous 9' beast that launched itself out of the water.   Great fun, but like Rob, I was feeling it of a few days after.

IP Logged

Rich
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 06/13/06 at 01:49:13
Quote Print Post  
Carlos,  I ain't really sure what it means either...hehe.

When we went,  most of the fish were between 45 and 50".  They made one small run and then were like dragging in a boot.

We were down by John Day.  It was impressive when the guide would put the loop around their tail and then drag them over the side of the boat.  We were in a 24' steel boat and the back of the fish would make a sound like steel on steel. 

Good job guys.

Rich

IP Logged

Man_with_a_view
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 06/16/06 at 06:18:50
Quote Print Post  
Looks like a great time. I ain't never seen a silver bass in real live person. Just those gold bass like I seen Wolsky catchin.

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 06/16/06 at 17:18:27
Quote Print Post  
I don't know how you cooked it Rich, but we deep fried ours after an egg wash and coating of fish and chips batter. It was excellent. it seemed to be a little firmer meat and wasn't oily or fishing. Like a really soft chicken texture. Very good in my opinion.

IP Logged

S._Basser
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 06/24/06 at 23:06:31
Quote Print Post  
I've always wanted to go Sturgeon fishing...since tasting some that was smoked at "The Caveman" in Kent. Nummy! You do have to be careful that they give you back your Sturgeon and not swap you some smoked Salmon for it. I'd go for a guided trip, 'cause I don't have any Sturgeon tackle and don't want to buy some. A buddy from Redmond, OR, goes up and fishes for them on the C. Takes a different type boat, anchors, huge heavy rods and reels, etc. I think he said he uses 80 lb test braid. They'd laugh at a flippin' stick...
C&R, Steve

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo