Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Potholes Open 2006 (Read 4004 times)
gotfive
Ex Member

Potholes Open 2006
04/24/06 at 01:55:54
Quote Print Post  
Well, to say that we dealt with more than a breeze is an understatement.  Saturday was canceled due to sustained 25 mph winds and gusts to 35, from out of the NE.  Clear skies, but a building ridge of high pressure was the cause.  Too bad, because most of the WBC anglers appeared to have found fish.  Anyway, ten of us still wanted to fish, so we called up to Coulee Playland and asked about the wind there and they said it was fine.  Off we went, caravaning to Banks Lake.  Fishing there was fantastic, and Mike Wolsky too big fish honors with a huge smallmouth.  There are pictures.  Wait till you see it!!!  Sunday was not quite as windy, but it was blowing hard enough out of the East to put off most of my locations.  Chris Sergant was fishing with me as Ron H. could not make it.  We found two fish and ran into a bunch of other fish right as we needed to go.  Not what we had in mind for the Potholes Open, but oh well.  Not sure, as I needed to get home after weigh-in, but I think that Russ B. and Lyle did pretty good.  Averall, weights were down, but still a great fishery.  That was some of the worst wind I have seen in a long time.  The kidneys are still sore.  Had a great time with all of you fellas, the road trip to Banks was the highlight for me.  Thanks for the laughs.

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Re: Potholes Open 2006
Reply #1 - 04/24/06 at 03:32:33
Quote Print Post  
Kirk,

Was surprised to see all you guys bug out before the finally. Yes it was a tough bite, although Mark and I weighed in 4 fish @ 15.27lbs for 17th and a $100 check. Fished an old place I hadn't visited in a while and found a 5.02, 4+, and a 3+ within 10 feet  of each other. The 3+ was on a bed and the other two came out of the same hole. Then to get our 4th fish we ran to the d**e where we chased a 4+ into the bushes and Mark stuck his only fish in a bush.

Although the wind was challenging for the 2nd day it didn't bother those who were tucked in tight.

Great fun at Moses as well and with all teams,

Russ

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/24/06 at 17:29:51
Quote Print Post  
Nice job Russ and Mark! That was a tough day out there for most folks... You had some good quality fish.

Thanks for the boat ride, Kirk! The bite at Banks was an absolute blast. Potholes was fun, too, but I wouldn't mind a little less wind next time. Are you listening mother nature?  Grin

The club house at Warden Lake was freakin' obscene. I haven't laughed that hard in a while. Ask Rob M. about his 3 layers, Mike W. about Raggedy Anne, and Nick C. about smallie beavers. You guys crack me up. Oh yeah, I don't think we are invited back to the Sage Inn in Grand Coulee anytime soon.  Roll Eyes

Chris

P.S. I looked up the word, "d**e" in the online dictionary, and these are the definitions:

1 : an artificial watercourse : DITCH
2 a : a bank usually of earth constructed to control or confine water : LEVEE b : a barrier preventing passage especially of something undesirable
3 a : a raised causeway b : a tabular body of igneous rock that has been injected while molten into a fissure

I've seen a couple people type d**e, but I think it's ok to type the full word.  Grin

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04/24/06 at 19:23:54
Quote Print Post  
Sarge,

Yes I typed d**e but it didn't show on my message for some reason.

Yes that was some of the best laughing I have had in a long time.

Hey Nick I see those beavers worked well for you guys.
Russ

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/24/06 at 20:26:56
Quote Print Post  
Oh I see that now, Russ... I didn't realize the forum blanked the word d**e out.

Stu and/or Bill, would that be a good setting to change? I don't think anyone would misuse that word on this forum. It looks kind of corny...

Chris

IP Logged

Bill Brynteson
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04/24/06 at 20:53:52
Quote Print Post  
I can see no reason to censor d**e,

"A d**e is an artificial earthen wall, constructed as a defense or as a boundary. The best known form of d**e is a construction built along the edge of a body of water, to prevent it from flooding onto an adjacent lowland."

That is the reference this club will be using and all of us know that in order to effectively navigate the dunes we have to know where the d**e is!   Roll Eyes

BillB

IP Logged

Carlos
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 04/24/06 at 21:14:04
Quote Print Post  
Oh man you guy's are way too funny. I laughed my butt off all weekend! Good times! 8) Yeah I see Stu changed his forum Pic and it resembles ole Raggedy Anne and the BIG Fish! Anyway good call on the Banks mini fun tourney, Kirk. It was fun to go get on some fish. Can't wait for the club Potholes tourney in May! Thank's Rob for hooking up the site and the club house that was a good deal. And thank's Dave I know the wind was rough but it's always fun getting back in the dunes. Just try and stay out of those waves will ya. Roll Eyes I'm still drying off from the one we plowed!  ShockedIt was wicked! Shocked
Hey Russ, I told ya I'd school you at the Poker table! Ha ha! Good job on your top 20 finish though.

Carlos

IP Logged

Chris B.
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 04/24/06 at 21:18:56
Quote Print Post  
Someone post the Wolsky fish already, or say how big it was.  The suspense is killing us.  Tongue

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 04/24/06 at 23:59:54
Quote Print Post  
No matter how happy I try to tell myself that I did not go...I wish I was there with ya guys.....BRING ON MAY!

IP Logged

Stu
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 04/25/06 at 02:25:31
Quote Print Post  

As for the negative connotation on the word d**e, the bad version is generally spelled with a "y" and not an "i". That's the one that gets edited.

Stu

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #10 - 04/25/06 at 02:43:31
Quote Print Post  
Damn auto-censor!  Default settings in the software.   Lips Sealed

IP Logged

Mike_W
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 04/25/06 at 04:32:35
Quote Print Post  
What the heck was I thinking when I told the Ragedy Ann story? Ooopps. Oh well, I guess it goes without saying.

Thanks all for being there to witness my Banks fish. One of my personal bests. Two years ago I got beer for the club for a 5.7# from Sarge. This one should be worth a keg....maybe more.

Good times and not a dry eye in the place.

Mike

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 04/25/06 at 15:34:37
Quote Print Post  
Wolsky's fish is posted in the general forum "Banks trip" along with the eyewitnesses who were there.

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 04/25/06 at 15:40:41
Quote Print Post  
Oh hear are some picts of Mark fishing the dam two weeks ago while prefishing. I posted a picture like this last summer for those that remember. notice where the sun is setting, over Frenchman's instead of North over the dunes like in the summer.

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 04/25/06 at 15:52:13
Quote Print Post  
Rob,
Those are some beautiful pics.  Please, Mark, don't take that the wrong way.  What I noticed most is that Mark is actually fishing the dam.  Waht everyone should know is that on Saturday, there were 7 foot swells crashing on the dam.  That would have been a sweet photo!!

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo