Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Fish & Game Violations (Read 4342 times)
REDCHAMP
Ex Member

Fish & Game Violations
04/16/06 at 19:57:46
Quote Print Post  
While pre-fishing Potholes this weekend my partner and I encountered a group of 4 older boys(18-20 yrs old) camped and fishing from the bank. As we got closer to them I saw that one of them was trying to remove a lure from an obviously dead largemouth bass approximately 14" long. This fish had been in his hand for over 15 minutes so I knew it was dead. I then asked if they were going to keep it. They all replied, "yes" and proceeded to raise up a rope stringer with 4 big largemouth on it also dead.
I then tried to tactfully educate them as to the statewide slot limit on bass and the importance of C&R. I could sense a touch of sarcasm in their voices as we left them.
A short while later my gut feeling told me to call the law, which I did.
About an hour later I received a call from the local warden who had just arrested them for 1)no fishing licenses, 2)retained fish without the proper licenses/tags, 3)retained fish of an illegal size(slot limit 12"-17") and 4)minor in possession.
The warden thanked me and  informed me that they were  very disrespectfull to him as well as having no respect for the law.
At first I thought maybe I was being to hard on the boys but after the conversation with the warden I felt I had done the right thing. At least a few more bass will live to be caught by my kids.
Mark

IP Logged

WCCT
Ex Member

Re: Fish & Game Violations
Reply #1 - 04/16/06 at 20:15:16
Quote Print Post  
I would agree 100% that you did the right thing.  These kids need to get some repect for the law, and people in general.  I would have done the same thing.  Way to go.

IP Logged

S._Basser
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/16/06 at 21:33:07
Quote Print Post  
Good job, Mark!
C&R, Steve

IP Logged

Bill Brynteson
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04/16/06 at 22:22:20
Quote Print Post  
We should all be paying close attention and following Mark's example.  Abuse of the F & G laws is out of control and we all can be part of the solution.

Good Job Mark, you get an "ATTA BOY"!

BillB

IP Logged

Y2SAYS
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/17/06 at 00:22:16
Quote Print Post  
Good job...I would've done the same thing.

IP Logged

Chris B.
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04/17/06 at 01:04:24
Quote Print Post  
Awesome job Mark !!!

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #6 - 04/17/06 at 02:47:02
Quote Print Post  
Good judgement call Mark!  Grin  What number(s) did you call, so that we can add them to our cell phones right now.

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 04/17/06 at 03:39:16
Quote Print Post  
Way to go! This will also get around by word of mouth to those who comit these acts that it will not be tolerated.
Great Job! Grin

IP Logged

REDCHAMP
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 04/17/06 at 03:46:55
Quote Print Post  
The number I called was 411. Believe it or not, I didn't have any regs in the glove box. Duh.
I asked the 411 operator to please stay on the line untill we connected to a live person as I was trying to report an "in progess fish/game violation." She did stay on the line and tried quite a few numbers untill finally connected with 911 at Moses Lk Police which transferred me to the State Police whom stated they'd pass the info along to a game warden. I really didn't think it was going any where after all that but low and behold, an hour later I got a phone call from the warden and the satisfaction of knowing that the system really works.
He was very gratefull and stated that he needed more folks like me to call as he was stretched very thin and can't possibly cover all his area as thoroughly as needed without our help.
Get involved folks. We've got to help police our own game if we want to continue playing it.
Mark

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 04/17/06 at 15:37:06
Quote Print Post  
Mark,
Nicely done.  When you received the call from the F & G warden, did he leave you with his number??  That would be the quickest route, or simply call 911.  BTW, did you find out what the boys were using to catch "four large LM?"  All I could catch were SM on Saturday.  Had a good crank bite in the heavy wind.  Other than that I chased spooky largies around.

IP Logged

marktfd88
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 04/17/06 at 15:47:23
Quote Print Post  
Great job Mark,  definite atta boy on this one and taking the extra steps to ensure that it was reported to the right people.  Hope the word gets out to people about conservation and breaking laws will result in fines and punishment.

Mark

IP Logged

LaRoja
WBC Member

Reply #11 - 04/17/06 at 19:39:48
Quote Print Post  
We need to help reinforce the regulations.  My experience has shown me that any law enforcement agency will help you to reach the right individual.  This means a call to the local 911 or a call to the State Patrol is sufficient, they will make sure that your report is passed to the closest game warden.  I have always been impressed by their responsiveness and profesionalism.  They act on any report.

Great job Mark, you make us all proud.

IP Logged

Man_with_a_view
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 04/17/06 at 22:20:54
Quote Print Post  
Hats off to you! I think all of us work hard to stay within the laws that are presented to us. Even though there are some that we may not agree with. Don't for one second think you were being to harsh on those boys. My father taught me to fish at a young age. He also went over the regulations with me so that I understood what was right and what was wrong. I am sure more of this goes on than we are even remotely aware of. It is good to see the good guys win one for a change. I am sure the bad side prospers way more often than we on the right side of the law do. I remember one of the first big fish I caught when I was just a 4th of 5th grader. I caught a big King salmon out in the sound. If my memory serves me right it was a 25 to 30 lb fish. At the time I caught it you were not allowed to keep Kings. As they hoisted that big fish up and took a picture the next thing I know they said "To bad we gotta let her go" I thought they were joking and the next thing I knew they tossed her back in the drink. I was in shock and I remember even a few tears came to my eyes. A real heart breaker for a little kid. I learned an important lesson from that though. One I obviously have never forgotton. Its too bad these kids had to learn such a lesson the hard way................

IP Logged

Wabasmstr
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 04/18/06 at 01:41:54
Quote Print Post  
Mark, 

You da man!!!!! Only adding my "Thank You's" for watching out for all of us and you've now set the mark for us to follow.  Again,,,,Thanks.....................

IP Logged

REDCHAMP
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 04/18/06 at 04:19:31
Quote Print Post  
Kirk,
I never thought to ask him for his phone number but the numbers are in the regs by area.
On the weekends we need to call the state patrol I'm told since the WDFW is out of office and the state patrol will get ahold of them.
Kirk, can't tell ya what they were catchin em on. You know the drill: If I tell ya I'll have to - - - - - - -
LOL
Mark

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo