Normal Topic Set The Hook (Read 2820 times)
RussBaker
Ex Member

Set The Hook
04/04/06 at 03:58:17
Quote Print Post  
New question of the month,

When you feel that tug on your line, how long does it take you to set the hook (fishing plastics)? 1 second,5 seconds, or 10 seconds?

Curious because I see so many guys think they have a fish biting but not set the hook.
Russ

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Re: Set The Hook
Reply #1 - 04/04/06 at 15:50:58
Quote Print Post  
I don't use a count or anything when I set the hook. I use feel. If you can still feel the fish "doinking" your bait, then it probably isn't time yet. I wait to feel solid pressure. Now when I am dragging baits, I pull back as soon as the rod gets hung, usually a rock or fish. No waiting around there. Plastics are eaten differently. Like large worms, if you set too early they may only have half of it in their mouths. Where a jig may be sucked in all at once..

IP Logged

Dipsnort
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/04/06 at 17:30:25
Quote Print Post  
I'm one of the guilty that never really know when to set the hook with plastics.  I know there's a feel to it, I just haven't quite figured it out yet.

I like to fish with Russ because he knows when it's time to set the hook..."Hey Russ, my line is moving under the dock over there, is it time to set the hook yet?" Grin

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04/04/06 at 18:55:46
Quote Print Post  
I'm like Rob...weight on the line matters but also species as I have a tendency to wait longer for Largemouth and swing on contact with Smallmouth.

IP Logged

Xsftballer
Forum Member

St. Croix Rods Pro Staff,
Anglers Marine Pro Staff

Reply #4 - 04/05/06 at 02:01:56
Quote Print Post  
I thought the fish did all the work:)

Misunderstood

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04/05/06 at 03:29:25
Quote Print Post  
I am with Larry on this one.  Could not have described it any better than that.

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 04/06/06 at 02:24:19
Quote Print Post  
Dip,

You crack me up Smiley Yeah that line movement thing kind of tells you whats going on , ya think Wink
Russ

IP Logged

Y2SAYS
Forum Administrator
WBC Member
WBC Board Member

Reply #7 - 04/06/06 at 02:49:47
Quote Print Post  
I've made the mistake of waiting too long and now I'm a true believer of "Hooksets are free".

"Do or do not, there is no try"

IP Logged

S._Basser
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 04/06/06 at 05:53:56
Quote Print Post  
Timing the hookset on plastics is something you just have to develop a feeling for. First few bites of the day should give a preview of how the fish hold onto the bait, but then stuff changes as weather changes. Sun/cloud, wind/calm will make a big difference. I've had close to 100% success with getting fish to bite again and hooking up, by using my favorite scent on plastics for the 2nd attempt.

Except in the case of the moving line thing, that is. If the fish has my bait and the line is moving away, I am close to 100% certain I'll get the hook into the fish. The question then is,  am I gonna break the line on hookset? Not in quite a few years, partly because of considerable use of circle hooks, and partly by setting the drags lighter, on better quality reels with better drag systems. If the fish is facing you, and has the bait completely in the mouth, you can still yank it out of their mouth. You might try light pressure, to get them to turn away, before setting. FWIW.
C&R, Steve

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo