Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Westside ! (Read 5061 times)
Chris B.
Ex Member

Westside !
03/21/06 at 02:37:32
Quote Print Post  
Sorry for the dumb Subject title.  Lets see Florida and Texas kick out fish like this.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/outdoors/20060320-1251-bn20bass.html

Thought everyone would like to see  Grin

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Re: Westside !
Reply #1 - 03/21/06 at 04:57:00
Quote Print Post  
Great to see but all those guys who fish for those records know better! Why is there always some stupid mistake these guys make when it comes to records?

No measurements.....

Foul Hooked.......

JEEEEEZZZZZ

IP Logged

Chris B.
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/21/06 at 05:12:13
Quote Print Post  
The reason why it was foul hooked was because it was bedding I guess and went nose down on a jig.  The angler didn't know if she had it or not so he was forced to pull the trigger.  This is the real thing though, witnesses are posting on multiple message boards.  Damn what a huge fish.

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/21/06 at 15:38:40
Quote Print Post  
Like shooting fish in a barrel. That same dumb fish has been caught 3 times. I mean how could you not see that gargantuan thing in gin clear, Chelan like water sitting on a bed? I think it would mean more if someone just happened to be fishing a deep point with a jig or retrieving a big trout bait and hooked into it without seeing it.

IP Logged

Chris B.
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/21/06 at 16:50:05
Quote Print Post  
Its ok to be jealous, I wish I lived in Cali catching fish like that.  I give the guy some credit for landing it.  God knows I wouldn't even be able to make a cast I'd be shaking so bad  Cheesy

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/21/06 at 16:56:54
Quote Print Post  
I'm not...I lived down there and fished plenty of those same lakes. You don't come across those that big all that often. And when you do you have to get a hook in them. It just bothers me to catch the same fish spawning in the same lake every year, probably in the same spot and get a world record out of it. Those guys know that same fish will be there so they go looking for that fish. Maybe I can't put the feeling quite into words.

Lake Dixon is 4 acres smaller than Lake Desire. Now put a 25 lber in Desire with gin clear water and tell me someone won't see it spawning. You can trolling motor around the whole thing in like 2 hours. What chance does that fish have of not being caught? I guess I'm feeling that there just isn't as much sport in it, and it would be hard to see the world record go down like that. Anyone else kind see what I'm saying?

IP Logged

Carlos
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 03/21/06 at 18:50:46
Quote Print Post  
I agree with you on that Rob. That's not right. Undecided

IP Logged

Andrea L
WBC Member

Reply #7 - 03/21/06 at 18:58:04
Quote Print Post  
I agree with you Rob, not very sporting at all.

IP Logged

Chris B.
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 03/21/06 at 20:05:31
Quote Print Post  
I understand what your saying.  No one of us would pass up the oppurtunity though, in a tourney situation or for a record.  It was either going to be the group of big bass hunters like they were, or some other schmuck.  The record will be broken in the next few years, there's tons of little trout stocked lakes down there.

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 03/21/06 at 22:22:51
Quote Print Post  
No doubt would I work that fish over in a tourney or just fun fishing. The record just doesn't seem to have the same appeal to me catching it that way. It just doesn't seem like enough work for a world record as big as that one.

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 03/22/06 at 00:20:19
Quote Print Post  
I think this discussion gets down to the nitty-gritty on why we all like tournament bass fishing...

It's not about hunting and catching big fish, it's about adjusting to the conditions of the day and fooling fish better than everyone else around you! That is not the same as going after a world-record fish.

Chris

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 03/24/06 at 06:17:58
Quote Print Post  
I know you ALL find the HARD to believe, but I have an opinion about this. Shocked  This fish did not "take" a jig.  I can promise you that they were knocking this thing along side of the head just to force her into striking with a 1+ ounce jig.  After being caught once, and in her condition she had no intention of going through all that again.  On top of that, the guys raced around traffic to get into the parking lot first, because there were a bunch of guys wanting to do the same thing.  How is that fun?  Sort of like shooting a buck in my back yard that is eating my apples and calling it hunting.  That is more like revenge. Cheesy  The whole thing just smells kind of bad.  I want to see the record broken, but in a more legit manner.  Rob is right.  The whole county knew that fish was there.  Only in Califoooornia.

IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

USMC Ret.  "Full Livewells,
I'll drink to that!"

Reply #12 - 03/24/06 at 14:51:14
Quote Print Post  
There are two different classifications of passes sold that allow access to the Lake on a daily basis.  The 1st is for fishing only and the 2nd is for camping & fishing.  If you possess a camping and fishing pass you are allowed early entry to the park and launch area.  There was no "racing around traffic in the parking lot" in order to cut the line of waiting anglers and circumvent a legal entry into the park.  My source for this information:  San Diego Tribune online, Bass Fan, and Terry Battisti a well known writer in the publications Bass West and Inside Line.  Terry is also the consummate authority on the hunt for the world record bass and a member of the Northwest Shimano Pro-Staff.
I talked with "Tater" (his nickname) for over 40 minutes last night about this catch and all the hoopla that it has generated.  He told me that the fish is well known among local anglers having been caught several times in the last few years by different anglers.  This fish has gained about 5-6 pounds over the past 5 years according to records kept.  She is an easily identifiable fish that has a distinct mark on her lower right gill plate.   There have been several scale samples taken of this fish and her genetics are very well known in the scientific fishead circles in Southern California.
The ironic thing is that once she spawns, she will lose nearly 6 lbs in egg weight. WHAT A LOAD!! Shocked
The anglers that caught her are among a group of well known So-Cal big fish hunters that target the large fish that ply the waters of the San Diego County drinking water reservoir system.  When he foul hooked the sow, he was sight fishing in nearly 20' of gin clear water.  He set the hook when his jig disappeared as the fish moved over the bait rather than inhaled it as he thought.

Smitty
Wink
« Last Edit: 03/24/06 at 19:34:12 by DUNE HOPPER »  

Retired From Everything but Feeshin and doing April's bidding

IP Logged

Chris B.
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 03/24/06 at 15:27:20
Quote Print Post  
Good info Smitty.  Terry is a good guy, Cat owner too  Grin

IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

USMC Ret.  "Full Livewells,
I'll drink to that!"

Reply #14 - 03/24/06 at 19:32:16
Quote Print Post  
He's got that bright yellow bumble bee colored Puma for sale.  Want his number to make an offer? Grin

Smitty Wink

Retired From Everything but Feeshin and doing April's bidding

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo