Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Westside ! (Read 5056 times)
Chris B.
Ex Member

Re: Westside !
Reply #15 - 03/24/06 at 20:07:38
Quote Print Post  
He still selling that boat?  He had first posted in Nov of last year.  Its a Cougar FTD actually, pretty similar to a Puma  though.

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 03/25/06 at 00:40:06
Quote Print Post  
Count on Smitty to set the record straight.  Good information and he is correct, what a toad.  I do love the photos.  Amazing that everyone knows about this fish.  Was the fish spawning at 20'?  Is that typical for SoCal?  Just looked at the photo again, and all I can say is wow!

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 03/25/06 at 01:49:49
Quote Print Post  
It is typical in Southern Cal. for those fish to spawn that deep. I have seen it. Makes it hard to judge where your bait is that deep down. One method we used to use was to simply drag dropshot in those depths with the wind just moving you along. Or cast on shallow and let them drag out slowly as you moved forward.

But...that info is why it taints the record for me. NO doubt is it an awesome fish. It's just all the prior knowledge before hand that makes it seem a little unfair. Blindly casting and hooking into her would have made me more impressed that's all. What about next year when they catch her again and she ways 27lbs because they know she is going to be there? I think it takes a little excitement out of the record.

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 03/25/06 at 02:12:46
Quote Print Post  
http://www.njworks.com/bass/world.html

Now here is another thing that kinda gets me. Anyone remember this? Paul Duclos caught this fish and weighed him on a bathroom scale at 24 lbs, then he released it. I wish I could find the story that explained it more. He was basically criticized for not keeping it and having it checked and certified. An IFGA official made a statement that he was sad to say , but a world record fish would almost certainly have to be killed to be checked correctly. Yet they commended Weakley for releasing this other fish and are still considering the record. They could have checked the scale he used, which also wasn't certified and seen if it read correctly. He also has good pictures....  

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo