Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Fishin Delema? (Read 4802 times)
basspro
Ex Member

Fishin Delema?
02/08/06 at 00:48:33
Quote Print Post  
What would you do if for some medical reason you couldn't fish anymore? Cry Or could only fish from a dock??
Russ

IP Logged

CANNOT CLOSE THE DEAL
Ex Member

Re: Fishin Delema?
Reply #1 - 02/08/06 at 02:15:38
Quote Print Post  
Russ

Shoot myself in the BUTT and Foot, so I couldn't fish from the dock.

Daryl

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 02/08/06 at 02:36:07
Quote Print Post  
I guess that depends on what other things that medical condition kept me from doing. If I couldn't have sex anymore then I'd have to kill myself. Maybe I could I could still get wasted with you guys at the tournaments and play poker though.

IP Logged

Weedwalker
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 02/08/06 at 02:38:23
Quote Print Post  
I'd find the best dock on the lake and make weekend appearances, whatever bites would be ok by me!!  At least this way I'm still fishing!!

IP Logged

The_Rev.
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 02/08/06 at 03:32:52
Quote Print Post  
I'd teach kids how to fish.  I get as great a rush out of watching a kid catch a perch from a dock as I do catching bass from a boat. 

But I'll be honest with you, I have watched guys  on TV fish without arms, without legs, even blind.  Where there is a will, there is a way.

To be honest with you, the very question you asked sends up warning flags for me - do you know someone in this situation?  Or are you still dealing with the Seahawk Blues?  Kinda of a "cup half empty" question - ya know what I mean?

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 02/08/06 at 03:55:55
Quote Print Post  
Rob,

You are hilarious, yea I guess if it comes down to that, that is what I will have to do.

Rev,

I posed the question because I had a near head on collision about a year and a half ago that almost took my life luckily it didn't and have been experiencing pain in my back for the last year and a half which has become severe in the last two weeks. The MRI and the X-rays show a possible surgery issue in the future. I should know by tomorrow what my alternatives are.

Now granted I have never had back issues in my life until this accident and am honestly scared to death about losing the ability to not be out on the water doing what I have doing for over 40 years and that is fishing for Bass.

Thanks for the ideas. Golf is definitely out of the question.

Russ

I guess I am one of those people who always prepare for the worse.

IP Logged

Stu
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 02/08/06 at 04:07:48
Quote Print Post  
Russ,

To your question: Party barge or motorized floating dock with a Lazy Boy.

To your back problems: I hope you get better soon.

Stu

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 02/08/06 at 04:12:14
Quote Print Post  
Stu,

Now thats agreat idea. It might not be fast , but it will be confortable.
Russ

IP Logged

Hooter
WBC Member

topwater under a full
moon

Reply #8 - 02/08/06 at 05:08:02
Quote Print Post  
Having had a crushed vertabra and recovered(1984) I found  for me sitting more helped along with the  thickest padding and high back fishing seat.        A few years ago my father in law recovering from rotator cuff surgery and still strapped down cought his biggest LM ever 10.3lbs. And this after arguing all week that he could not fish with only his left arm. I win the argument and he catches a trophy.              BASS ON

SHUT UP AND FISH!!!           I fish because the voices in my head tell me too.
IP Logged

CANNOT CLOSE THE DEAL
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 02/08/06 at 16:12:22
Quote Print Post  
Russ

I have had back trouble since 1987 because of an injury and I have had one surgery. I have 3 dehydrated disc that are paper thin and there is usally one that is herniated. Always remember surgery is a last resort. Physical theropy in the last 3 months has helped my back and has strengthen the muscle, which 90% of the time is the problem with backs. They also helped with stretching to break up the scare tissue surrounding the nerve and which caused most of the pain. I'm going to wear a back brace this year to help with my posture while fishing
Hang in there, you are to young to be thinking about fishing from a dock.

Daryl
« Last Edit: 02/08/06 at 17:19:15 by »  

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 02/08/06 at 16:34:24
Quote Print Post  
Guys,

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm just one of those people that are scared to lose their days on the water. Don't get me wrong the wife and family are important, but the fishing well ya know.

Therapy has been helping some. I guess I will have to go more often.
Russ

IP Logged

Rich
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 02/08/06 at 17:23:59
Quote Print Post  
Hey Russ,  just remember 3 things:

1.  You never know what you can do till you get there!!

2.  If you really  want  to do something you will find a way to do it.  It may not be perfect but you get there!

3.  And the most important is  good friends.  You might not be able to do it all but friends will help.

Also remember, friends help you move, but GOOD friends help you move bodies Shocked

Rich

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 02/08/06 at 19:01:07
Quote Print Post  
Thanks Rich,

The prognosis just came back and the Doc says that I have something called smyrles nodes, spelling not sure of. It was caused from a previous accident and the near head on collision has flared them up. Its like a reverse ruptured disc is what he said. So will allways have this with me, but not fatal to my fishing unless I ride with Bob the "Wild Driver" Payseno.
Thanks for all the encouragement. I will just have to more carefull from now on.
Russ

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 02/09/06 at 00:20:01
Quote Print Post  
Russ,
Not to worry.  I have the same sort of condition.  Requires annual treatment and massage therapy.  It was sustained after a nasty fall in some slippery rocks while, excuse me, steelhead fishing.  I gotta go toss cookies, thinking that slimer fishing created my problem.  It flares up on me after I do something stupid, like jump off my tractor or think I can still dunk a basketball.  Mind is sharp, body is shot.  Hang tough.

IP Logged

Dipsnort
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 02/09/06 at 00:34:44
Quote Print Post  
I've had that "can't fish" dilima for the past 2 months due to the fact that I ignored tendonitis in my elbow from last July through November and fished through the pain until my elbow was siezed up so badly that I couldn't bend my arm and it was painful even when motionless.

The inactivity, along with physical therapy has helped regain my full range or motion but it's still painfull.  I'm just hoping it becomes well enough by early Spring so I can fish the spawn without reinjury.

I've never been so long without fishing and it sucks!! Sad

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo