Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Interesting study on holding fish in livewells (Read 3334 times)
Sarge
Ex Member

Interesting study on holding fish in livewells
02/01/06 at 01:14:20
Quote Print Post  
Hey y'all,

A friend sent me an interesting study just published on the effects of livewell temperature and oxygen content on the recovery times of largemouth bass.

It is a pretty technical article with lots of chemistry mumbo-jumbo that I don't understand, and I haven't yet studied it in detail for any flaws, but it sounds like the best thing we can do during tournaments is just keep the aerator flowing... I know, "Duh."

But - the interesting thing is that lowering the water temperature with ice or infusing pure oxygen seems to actually hurt recovery times. The best thing to do is to try to maintain status quo and keep your livewell like the lake.

I can't post a .pdf file here, but if you want to read the article, shoot me an email at fishboy@u.washington.edu and I will send it to you.

Chris

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Re: Interesting study on holding fish in livewells
Reply #1 - 02/01/06 at 01:59:48
Quote Print Post  
I think I read something similar to that. kinda like aquarium fish, you can't change the temp too fast. I think the worst thing about hotter livewell temps in the mid summer is the loss of oxygen. but like you said, if you can kepp them running the oxygen will sustain at levels the fish need.

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 02/01/06 at 06:21:59
Quote Print Post  
What you need is a non-boater like Wolsky who can use an old Hills Brothers coffee can when your livewell pump goes bad in August.  He is a great supplier of oxygen and other assorted noises, burps, etc.   Grin Grin  Actually, the article sends a good message.  Keep those babies hummin'.

IP Logged

Mike_W
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 02/07/06 at 01:18:47
Quote Print Post  
Kirk,

You made me laugh a good one on that.

Whats funny was you didn't even have to ask. You'd say "I wonder how those live wells are doi'n?"

I would just jump right up like a good boat wife and start scooping and dumping, scooping and dumping, scooping OH Wait "Fish ON" (cull your last fish)Scooping and Dumping.

Isn't that how it went?

Fun Time, thanks again

Mike

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 02/07/06 at 05:27:59
Quote Print Post  
I gotta hand it to you, you made a real fine wife that week-end especially all bent over, checking on the livewell pre-formance. Shocked  Sorry about that hook in your finger, and for losing that drop-shot fish.  That baby was probably the 4+ fish we were looking for.

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 02/07/06 at 05:29:03
Quote Print Post  
Oh and BTW, the pump is fixed 8)

IP Logged

Mike_W
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 02/08/06 at 02:12:43
Quote Print Post  
Kirk, why is that I have a feeling that pump 'randomly" broke right before I got there? I think you just liked to watch me all huntched up back there playing with the fishes. Sometimes I wonder if you like me or the thought of living in my fine trailor.

You didn't hook my finger. You casted my hat off from behind. Then you sunk your jerkbait in the seat I was sitting in a second prior to your side arm long distance record attempt with a pointer. Sounded like a .22 round hit the seat. Oh man I am choking on my popcorn while I write this. THat was a fun day. Good times my man. Is there a date for this year?

For all of you guys that don't know Kirk. There is a reason he lives in E. Wash.

Mike

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 02/08/06 at 03:59:30
Quote Print Post  
Mike,

The Eastern Wa thing? Must be out of casting distance from all ears,seats,etc. ha, ha Kirk. You da man.
Russ

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 02/08/06 at 18:43:03
Quote Print Post  
Quote:
Kirk, why is that I have a feeling that pump 'randomly" broke right before I got there? I think you just liked to watch me all huntched up back there playing with the fishes.

A sequel in the making: "Brokeback Skeeter".

"Kirk, you can come fish on the back deck if ya want."

Sorry, couldn't help myself. Tasteless.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 02/09/06 at 00:28:29
Quote Print Post  
Wolsky,
I wish you wouldn't have mentioned the part about the jerkbait.  I was blaming that one on the old tom cat we have living in the barn.  Now I have to explain that to the real wife.  As for the fine casting skills which you gave a lame a#@ description of, I do recall the gold pointer #90 keeping us in the game that day.  To those that may be interested, a Lucky Craft pointer minnow in 40+ feet of water, does work!!  Don't bite the hand that feeds you. 

Speaking of "Brokeback Mountain", Chris, what were you really doing when the boat overturned on I-90, on a straight away?  Hmm...we will really never know.

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 02/16/06 at 22:17:17
Quote Print Post  
Oh man! I missed this comment until today...

Well played, old man, well played.  Grin

IP Logged

Terry
WBC Member

Reply #11 - 02/17/06 at 00:48:19
Quote Print Post  
Man, Sarge, you said noone would find out! Angry

Team A$$pocket!!"
Old Paid For Boat" pro staff

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo