Normal Topic Should I turn this guy in??? (Read 2230 times)
S._Basser
Ex Member

Should I turn this guy in???
01/29/06 at 01:56:02
Quote Print Post  
Yesterday afternoon, I saw a guy emptying a big, wheeled, garbage can full of water into a storm drain. The storm drain runs straight into the river, no filtering or treatment, remember this. The guy's van said it was an Aquarium Service company. So, it wasn't hazardous waste, just aquarium water. With fish poo, maybe some fish eggs, or a fish or two, and probably some exotic aquatic weed scraps. I'm thinking this wasn't a good thing to do, and I should report it. Do you agree? To what government agency should I report it? C&R, Steve

« Last Edit: 01/29/06 at 03:08:48 by »  

IP Logged

Wabasmstr
Ex Member

Re: Should I turn this guy in???
Reply #1 - 01/29/06 at 04:22:27
Quote Print Post  
Try the local EPA.  He probably shouldn't be dumping it there, but they would know the regulations, and maybe next time stop and ask him why he's doing it, but only after you let he see you write down his license number and company name.  Sometimes people like that either don't know or could care less as to what they are doing to the local waters, and your right, it could be stuff from a salt water tank clean out.

Good job and let us know if you get a reply.

Chuck

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 01/29/06 at 16:59:41
Quote Print Post  
Steve..I reported the same thing...and I belive the same company to the managers at St. Francis Hospital because I saw them dumping into a drain on the grounds at the hospital. They lost their contract there at the hospital because they considered it hazardous non-natural runoff and they were supposed to remove and treat their own waste.

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #3 - 01/30/06 at 03:37:05
Quote Print Post  
Call the chamber of commerce, and the city hall (business licensing).  They'll investigate and assess penalties and/or prosecute if required.

IP Logged

S._Basser
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 02/03/06 at 04:27:00
Quote Print Post  
Well, of course, I reported the guy. To the Auburn Wastewater Supervisor, after playing phone tag for a couple days. He was very interested, appreciative, and even complimentary. Their next step was to turn the info over to an enforcement branch..."Auburn CSI", sorta. I don't know if I'll ever hear back about it, but doubt it. I hope my experience will encourage you all to watch for violations, ya hear? They do happen! 
C&R, Steve

IP Logged

Dipsnort
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 02/03/06 at 19:24:49
Quote Print Post  
Quote:
I hope my experience will encourage you all to watch for violations, ya hear? They do happen!  
C&R, Steve

There was an idle bulldozer delivered to clear land next to my house a couple of years ago and I noticed it was leaking oil at an unbelievable rate.  I didn't know who owned it so I called the EPA and they tracked the guy down.  The next day a guy was out working on the engine so I went over and started a conversation.  Turns out he got a call to fix the leak.  He told me the owner knew of the problem but didn't want to go through the expense of working on the engine so they had been filling the oil (several quarts at a time) as it leaked. Angry

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 02/04/06 at 06:27:16
Quote Print Post  
I busted a guy in Snoqualmie dumping anti freeze into a catch basin a year ago.  He was incensed, though he was going to clock me.  Held my ground until he let his pit bull out.  Got back in my rig and of course, I have a radio direct to my friend the Chief of Police.  The city pressed charges against the guy.  The landlord called us a few days later, thanking us very much for taking care of his "problem".  I despise polluters almost as much I despise poachers.  Rank them right up there with pedophiles and rapists.  Good job, Steve.  They had probably been doing that for years.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo