Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Fishing Rods (Read 6965 times)
kathy
Ex Member

Fishing Rods
01/05/06 at 20:22:54
Quote Print Post  
Hi,
I have a questions for everyone..

How many rods do each of you own? How many are enough or do you ever have enough????? Shocked

Thanks,
Kathy
Smiley

IP Logged

Varmint
Ex Member

Re: Fishing Rods
Reply #1 - 01/05/06 at 21:17:39
Quote Print Post  
4 spinning and 2 level wind rigs. More than enough...

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 01/05/06 at 21:22:31
Quote Print Post  
I have probably over 40 rods gathered up over the years. I only fish with about 5-6 at a time though and they are the Ordella ones I use. The other stuff just sits in the spare bedroon. That's why I am selling some of it and make the post in the buy/sell/trade area. If you aren't member and can't see that, I am seeling extra rods and reels I don;t use. Most of the stuff is used, but I have several brand new reels.

I learned to cut back on the amount of rods on my deck and in the rod locker. I figured if I need more than 6 rods, then I have no clue of what the bass are doing. Now sometimes I'll have 2-3 rods with spinnerbaits or cranks, but all a little different. The extra rods I keep are for backups in case I have a wicked backlash or something. Or drop one (or all of them)in the water.

IP Logged

Doug_Booth
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 01/05/06 at 22:54:10
Quote Print Post  
All anyone needs is a snoopy zebco spincast setup.  It costs under $10.
« Last Edit: 01/12/06 at 04:14:49 by »  

IP Logged

bill44
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 01/06/06 at 00:46:08
Quote Print Post  
I have 11 rods.  I usually have 3 on deck.  I like to have a drop shot set up, a grub and tube set up.

I keep a crankbait and spinnerbait rod in my locker.  But I need Rob M and Mike W to help me learn how to use them. 

IP Logged

Weedwalker
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 01/06/06 at 01:34:17
Quote Print Post  
Tipicaly I'll have 8 rods as a boater, 4-5 as a back-seater. 2-flipping, 1-spinnerbait, 1-crainkbait, 2-dropshot, 1-for skipping plastics and 2 for texas rigged plastics. This way I geared for both largeis as well as smallies. 8)

IP Logged

Y2SAYS
Forum Administrator
WBC Member
WBC Board Member

Reply #6 - 01/06/06 at 03:46:50
Quote Print Post  
I have 3 spinning rods and 3 baitcast rods.  It really depends on what lake I'm fishing on what rods I'll have on deck.  On a lake like sawyer where there's smallies and LM I'll have almost all my rods on deck.  On a lake like Washington I'll only have a few...one for dropshot, one for grub and a crankbait rod.

"Do or do not, there is no try"

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 01/06/06 at 04:04:48
Quote Print Post  
I normally have 9-12 rods with me at all times. Since fishing tourneys for quite a few years I have become extremely efficient as well as confident to throw anything in my box. That includes 2-drop shot rods, crankin rod,top water, pitchin stick,flippin stick, worm rod, spinnerbait rod, and a skipping rod for a combo of things.

You just never know what you may find when fishing a tourney. I have over 20 rods myself but am currently weeding down to just 12 and mostly Ordella.

But if you have 5-6 rods that you are confortable with and have confidence in just be happy to stick with them.
Russ

IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

USMC Ret.  "Full Livewells,
I'll drink to that!"

Reply #8 - 01/06/06 at 14:54:11
Quote Print Post  
Like Russ, I carry about a dozen Shimano Crucial rods & reels with me at any one time, plus one Pinnacle pitching stick. However, I only keep about 5 or 6 on the front deck.  There is always a pitching stick as well as a dropshot, crankbait, carolina rigged spinning rod, skipping rod, and grub/tube rod.  I keep the rest in the rod locker rigged as backups with something slightly different than what is on the deck, as well as a spinnerbait rod rigged and ready to go.  The season or type of lake may vary slightly what is on the deck, but there is always a mix on the front deck to accomodate changing situations.

Smitty
Wink

Retired From Everything but Feeshin and doing April's bidding

IP Logged

Chris B
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 01/06/06 at 16:18:35
Quote Print Post  
I have 2 baitcasters, and I usually take 4 spinning with on the boat  Each rigged with something different.  That doesn't count the spare and old cheap rod combo's that I'll never use again sitting around the house.  I have at least 6 spare reels lying around.

IP Logged

marktfd88
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 01/06/06 at 16:24:23
Quote Print Post  
Like wise, I have way to many rods, and keep most on them on my deck...  Big problem that I am working on correcting.  I like switching baits and tweeking patterns.  To see what the fish will hit.  All total 10 baitcasting and 7 spinning rods.  Most have a specific technique that they are used for.  3 flipping, 2 carolina, 2 cranking, spinnerbait, worm rod, finesse jig/ crank, 2 dropshot, big long heavy spinning rod for power fishing with spinning tackle, skipping, finesse spinning.  All my rods were bought with some specific technique in mind.  Nothing is more frustrating than trying to skip a lure under a dock with the wrong rod.  Or carolina rid with a too soft rod, or cranking with a to stiff rod.

Mark

IP Logged

Rich
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 01/06/06 at 16:39:11
Quote Print Post  
Let's see....if I count the doo doo rods that I bought before I found out that I had to have $100 rods..ohh never mind..that was a learning experience.

I have 9 "good" casting rods and 7 spinning rods.  My main problem is I set them up with specific techniques in mind and if I don't keep a specific bait on them to remind me what I set them up for then I have to try to remember what line is on it, what action is the rod, what reel is that and what gearing, etc.

Maybe, heaven forbid, I should go back to salmon fishing.  One mooching rod, one trolling rod and one heavy rod for bottom fishing.  Oh yeah and one small tackle box with EVERYTHING that I needed.  And we ate what we caught.  Yummie...

Rich

IP Logged

marktfd88
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 01/09/06 at 04:23:04
Quote Print Post  
great post Rich,  way to reminds us how hopeless us bass fishermen are......

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 01/09/06 at 20:43:30
Quote Print Post  
On the boat:
Three casting rods - 10, 12, 17 lb test
Three Spinning outfits - 4, 6, 8 lb test
One meaty flippin stick - 25 lb Big Game

About does it for me......

IP Logged

Troy
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 01/09/06 at 22:12:41
Quote Print Post  
three casting and three spinning on the boat plus a flipping stick most of the time.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo