Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Somebody is Always Watching (Read 3172 times)
CANNOT CLOSE THE DEAL
Ex Member

Somebody is Always Watching
11/18/05 at 19:52:20
Quote Print Post  
Pro Fisherman Faces Contest Fraud Charge
Man Accused Of Catching Bass Before Competition

UPDATED: 10:17 am PST November 18, 2005

LEE'S SUMMIT, Mo. -- A Missouri fisherman is accused of cheating in a professional bass tournament.

Paul Tormanen, 39, of Lee's Summit, faces a felony charge of contest fraud. He's suspected of catching bass before the competition and tying them to a stump, then submitting them during a competition in Louisiana last week, reported KMBC-TV in Kansas City, Mo.

Another competitor found tethered bass and informed authorities, who marked the fish, the television station reported. Tormanen was then questioned when he allegedly turned one of the marked fish in to be weighed at the Bassmaster Tournament on the Red River.

Fisherman who know Tormanen are shocked by the accusation.

"I just talked to him a couple weeks ago and personally congratulated him on such a successful season last year," pro bass fisherman Shane Voyles said. "He won, you know, $40,000, $50,000, $60,000 last year just in the Heartland ProAm circuit -- that's a local circuit around here."

"It's a sad thing ... I get phone calls from friends, 'Man, can you believe this?' We all knew the guy," he said.

Voyles has won a big bass tournament himself, which included a $51,000 prize and a trophy. He's also a spokesman for Xtreme Marine in Lee's Summit, and he said Tormanen's fraud charge has him worried about sponsorships.

"It could hurt those of us out there that are trying to raise revenue to help pay for our sponsorship. I mean, they're going to look at this and say, 'Wait a second here, is this a cheating sport?'" Voyles said.

Tormanen has posted bond and was released.

KMBC went to the address listed on Tormanen's arrest record and found the front door ajar. A sign on the door read, "Welcome Home Dad, We Miss You." When KMBC rang the bell, someone slammed the door shut.

http://www.kirotv.com/news/5356289/detail.html

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Re: Somebody is Always Watching
Reply #1 - 11/18/05 at 21:33:50
Quote Print Post  
Daryl,

I & Ted Watts have found fish baskets in Potholes once or twice. When I found them I dragged them out to deep water. Luckily no fish were in them. But makes you wonder how many guys try to cheat in the past.
Russ

IP Logged

SMITTY
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 11/18/05 at 22:22:14
Quote Print Post  
There is an extensive thread about this on the Heartland Circuit homepage which I follow.  This thread has been going on for about 4 days.  The angler in question was sponsored by Triton, Applebees' Restaurant chain and Chevy.  He used a very ingenious method to stake out the bass that were caught in practice and then staked out.  The co-angler that was with him in the boat didn't even realize what was happening because of the no net rule employed by BASS and the fact that they have to stay in the back of the boat.
He has been banned from BASS for life and lord know what else is going to happen.  You can bet it really makes sponsors like Applebees' interested in going out to find another person to sponsor. Tongue
Unfortunately this practice of cheating could very easily occur in a team tournament in places like the Potholes.
This is the reason why organizations such as the ABA are now requiring polygraphs for both members of the winning team prior to the awards ceremony. ???

Smitty
Wink

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #3 - 11/20/05 at 05:48:29
Quote Print Post  
Yup, high stakes entice some people to find ways to cheat.

Glad our tournies are bragging-rights only.  Raising the stakes, obviously, would not be beneficial to our club.  The tourney director already has his hands full enough as it is!

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 11/21/05 at 16:15:42
Quote Print Post  
Well until we raise the stakes to several thousand dollars, I don't think we'll have that problem. I think we have a little room before that happens....

IP Logged

CANNOT CLOSE THE DEAL
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 11/21/05 at 17:12:15
Quote Print Post  
Rob

With the cost of gas, camping. and guide services, that first through third place prize money sure helps out.

Daryl

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #6 - 11/21/05 at 20:39:59
Quote Print Post  
Do I detect a little sarcasm?  Wink

You're exactly right, Darrel.  Our tournies aren't about the money.  Never have been - and never, ever, will!

IP Logged

gotfivetoo
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 11/22/05 at 05:29:14
Quote Print Post  
So stuffing the regurgitated craws back in those 1lb smalllies is bad form?  My amBASSador told me that was an accepted practice Shocked  Really, I have to agree with Rob and Glenn.  Although I want to do well, it is for selfish reasons, generally.  I just want to catch fish.  Frankly, none of the money tournaments that I fish are worth any of the mess that dude is going through.  Good grief.  Just another one of things that make you go, "huh??"

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 11/22/05 at 16:56:21
Quote Print Post  
Great point Kirk.

I get the most satisfaction just saying I beat you guys than I do with $100 bucks or so. The plaque which reminds me of the feat is about all I look forward to. The money is just there to kind a keep it real. Kind of like the $5 we put it at the Poker games. Just keeps it real.

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #9 - 11/22/05 at 19:12:43
Quote Print Post  
Hey, wasn't I your ambassador Kirk?  Wink

IP Logged

gotfivetoo
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 11/23/05 at 05:21:01
Quote Print Post  
Actually, Glenn, I learned what I know about spitterbuggin' from you, but the crawdaddy trick I will credit to Frosty Wells...... Grin  I love this game.....You guys are fun!!  Speaking of craws, we talked about having a craw fry one of these tournaments.  Sounds tasty.  Heard that Lyle knows how to do that whole creole thing.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo