Normal Topic Oxidation! (Read 3421 times)
Rich
Ex Member

Oxidation!
09/20/05 at 15:49:10
Quote Print Post  
Well, I did get another boat.  In fact it is almost the same as my "stolen" boat.  A 1988 16' Skeeter.  70 Yamaha.  I am in the process of getting it set up now.

But I will need to do something with the gel coat.  It has some heavy oxidation on it.  So I am looking to borrow a heavy duty SANDER....just kidding... a decent buffer, preferably a small one, to use to really get to the oxidation and then to put on some coats of sealer and wax.

Or if anyone has experience with this stuff then we can talk about it. 

NOPE, I am not going to keep it at my place.  YES, I did get a HUGE lock thingy for the trailer.  It has a part that goes in the ball socket and a bar that goes over the top of the hitch.

Rich

IP Logged

WCCT
Ex Member

Re: Oxidation!
Reply #1 - 09/20/05 at 23:34:51
Quote Print Post  
I am in the need for something to take off oxidation too.  I tried a couple of different removers with no luck.  Does anybody know the best way to get the shine back?

IP Logged

Doug_Booth
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 09/21/05 at 02:02:46
Quote Print Post  
Get ahold of Dave Hendrickson, I bet he'd have a good idea.

Doug

IP Logged

Chris B
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 09/21/05 at 02:13:24
Quote Print Post  
Bass Fishing Home Page, search for Oxidation

http://www.wmi.org/bassfish/bassboard/boats_motors/index.html

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #4 - 09/21/05 at 02:43:22
Quote Print Post  
Congrats Rich!!  Grin

Flitz (http://www.flitz.com/) or Mequires #45 will do the trick.

Not to advertise, but you find several ideas here..
http://www.bassresource.com/fishing/BoatFinish.html

IP Logged

SMITTY
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 09/21/05 at 13:39:11
Quote Print Post  
Depends how bad it is. ???  Chemical removal with a polishing compound or rubbing compound is desireable and less work than using 1000 then 2000 grit wet sandpaper.  If you have it at the Tri-Cities I can take a look at her rich and give ya an estimate.

Smitty
Wink

IP Logged

Rich
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 09/21/05 at 19:27:52
Quote Print Post  
Glenn, as always, your site "bassresource.com" is full of usefull information and should be visited by one and all.  Thanks.

Sorry, Smitty, but I will be fishing the tri-cities with Doug Booth so I won't have mine there.  But I will be at the team tourney at Sam. the following weekend.

Rich

IP Logged

SMITTY
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 09/21/05 at 22:19:51
Quote Print Post  
I won't be at the team T as my partner had to drop out and I took on a guide job for Sunday on L. WA..

Smitty
Wink

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo