Normal Topic Smash up Derby at Auburn Sports and Marine Today (Read 2067 times)
Chris B
Ex Member

Smash up Derby at Auburn Sports and Marine Today
06/07/05 at 02:21:44
Quote Print Post  
First off, no one was hurt.... here's the story.

After talking to Larry Gonczy for a while, I picked out some tackle and walked towards the register.  All of a sudden we all hear a big bang and the store shakes like you can't imagine.  We run out front and it appears that an older Gentlemen has ran up the curb and smashed into the nicely and newly renovated concrete pillars supporting the roof.  We check up on him and hes ok, chest hurts a little, but he was walking around in no time.  I parked my beater Geo Metro out in front of the store and he clipped the rear driver side of my car (probably saving the store and lives) and ran into the pillar.  This was a older 88ish Ford Econoline van also, lots of force behind that.  Apparently someone was in the doorway when the wreck happened, thank god they weren't hurt.  I would of been walking outside the store within a minute or two after checking out so I'm lucky also.  
Shame for the store and employees, hopefully everything is back to normal quickly.  
Feel free to add anything Larry  Tongue  
Auburn PD and Fire was on the scene pretty quickly too, thanks to them.  My car must of been the glancing blow, because he hit that pillar HARD.  Thats my story for the day.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5d827b3127cce925e557fe89700000016108CZN3Ld...

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Re: Smash up Derby at Auburn Sports and Marine Tod
Reply #1 - 06/07/05 at 02:55:09
Quote Print Post  
Wow... that is crazy! I am glad to hear no one was hurt. Hope everything goes ok with getting your car and the store back up to snuff.

Chris

IP Logged

Dipsnort
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/07/05 at 03:04:43
Quote Print Post  
Wow! Shocked

I think they ought to have "50% off everything" day to clear a little inventory so the construction workers have more room to move around while fixing the joint back to original shape. Grin

IP Logged

Chris B
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/07/05 at 03:09:30
Quote Print Post  
Heck ya, I was about to ask for a discount but oh well.   Shocked  I was a dummy and asked him if his brakes went out and he said yes.  Maybe it was true, maybe not but he stuck to his story.  Glad everyone was ok.

The concrete rock part of the pillar on the far left, thats no more.  Very slightly did it tweak the wood support near the top of the roof.  Sucks for the store  ???
Larry had mentioned that over the weekend Smitty was sitting right there selling tackle.  It at least happened at the right time, no major injuries.

IP Logged

SMITTY
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 06/07/05 at 14:27:00
Quote Print Post  
HOLY COW BATMAN!
 That is exactly where I was at all day Friday & Saturday.  In fact when my back would start aching, I was leaning up against the pillar! Shocked Shocked  I had commented to one of the employees about the heavy traffic and how they had a ringside seat on traffic accidents at a busy intersection. Roll Eyes

Smitty
Wink

Nanner Nanner

IP Logged

marktfd88
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/07/05 at 15:50:55
Quote Print Post  
Well in my line of work I see this kind of thing all the time.  The best one was a Ford Aerostar Van fully launched into a house, oh wait a minute, how about the lady tweeked out on meth who launched her car onto the roof of Macguire bearing in tacoma.  Yes that's right " ala Duke's of Hazard " style 20ft into the air and onto the top of a roof.  Glad to hear no serious injuries guys. 

mark

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo